What DON'T You Count?

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
I've been really meticulous about my food diary since starting here. But there are some things I leave out and was wondering what you all skip logging, if anything.

My general rule is "If it's over 5 calories, log it."

I don't log:
- 0-calorie sweeteners (I use Truvia and it's erythritol which doesn't raise blood sugar so doesn't count as a sugar)
- spices
- crystal light powder (I only use it occasionally and it's 5 cals/serving)
- anything else under 5 calories

How 'bout you? :smile:

Replies

• mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Gum lol
    5 calories
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I don't always log my coffee. I don't log the spritz of olive oil I use to fry my omelet in the morning. And I don't log seasonings like salt, pepper, etc. So, it's safe to assume that I always consume a bit more calories and sodium than logged.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I don't log my sugar-free gum...less than 5 calories each, so I'm not worried about it.
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't always log my stevia...unless I use a lot because it does have like .5 carbs or something.
    I also log my spices because of the sodium that is in some of them.
    I actually don;t add lemon juice that I put into my water. Sometimes I also put a tiny splash of cranberry juice in my water and I won't log it.
    I log everything else though.
    I am really bad about measuring! So it is good I "over log" lol.
  • antfefe6
    antfefe6 Posts: 32
    Options
    Back when I did Richard Simmons and lost 60 lbs, we weren't required to log cucumbers, lettuce, mushrooms, onions, cabbage and celery. It was said that it burns more calories eating and digesting these foods.

I lost back then not counting them so I don't count them now.
  • nickicaylor
    Options
    Raw veggies are usually considered free calories. I don't log all of those
  • daylilies
    daylilies Posts: 92
    Options
    I just got a personal trainer who said if it's 10 or fewer calories not to log it.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I don't log the splenda in my coffee, spices when I cook something or enter a recipe and sometimes some veggies (lettuce leaf on a burger-that type of thing). I may be off on some of my measurements because I eyeball sometimes but that is another reason I don't eat all my exercise calories.
  • phatdiva26
    Options
    i try to stay true to my diary as i can as well. with that being said i don't count:

-herbal tea
    -splenda
    -spices
    -mustard

thats really about it...if i feel it has a caloric value I like to add it to my diary:smile:
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    So does that mean if I just eat things less than 10 calories all day... it doesn't count :):)
    hahaha jk
    I wish :(
    I just got a personal trainer who said if it's 10 or fewer calories not to log it.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I never count diet sodas unless they have a substantial amount of sodium contained in them...I don't count the little stuff like gum & tic-tacs, lol...those are the main things for me !
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    My homemade salsa. It comes out to around 10 calories for 3 tablespoons. Let's be honest, I'm not chubby because of salsa.
  • I don't log spices, certain condiments, the little bit of oil or spray used to make a meal not stick, gum, items I only took a bite of. i try to weight and measure everything out but most of the time I just eyeball it as best as I can.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I don't log my sugar free gum since it is usually only a piece or two a day when I do have it, and I don't log the handful of spinach I might add to my sandwich at lunch. I do log my coffee though even with it being black because I do drink at least 2 very large mugs in the morning.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    sugar free gum, diet soda, sometimes coffee
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Gum. Hot sauce. Coffee [I drink it black]. Tea.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee or tea, just the stuff I put in them. I would never think to log spices. If I grab just a few grapes I don't log them. I do log all veggies even if they are low cal, but that is just so I can see how much I get to eat and still stay under. Plus I like to see how much fiber I am getting. I don't log gum.

I don't eat fake sugar, so I don't have to worry about that.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING that has calories. If it's zero calories, I don't log it. If it has anything more than zero...5 cals included...I log it.
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything, mainly so that I can keep a complete diary of everything that went into my mouth. I had also heard about free calories from things like cabbage and celery, but I still log that stuff. The only things I don't log are pepper, gum, tictacs, things like that. Even if those little things add up to 25 or 30 cals by the end of the day, I just like the idea of being able to go back to a certain day, and know that I had a cup of cucumbers that day, etc.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Coffee (although I do count anything I put in it)
    sugar free gum
    tea