p90x - Round 1 beginners

Options

Replies

• j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who looks in the mirror, sucks in the tummy, flexes the arms and pretends he is a ripped machine of P90X glory? Perhaps I am, but a guy can dream, can't he? Someday, someday....

All the time!
  • j3nic3
    Options
    I am thinking doing Legs & Back /Abs today after doing Plyo yesterday was not a good idea. Legs are screaming!

Ouch! I did that last week and suffered. Never again
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP, but not to fitness and nutrition. Going through and jumping on P90X threads, looking for some motivation. I am in week 1 of the 3rd phase. And I will be starting again once that's done. Trying to shed the last few percentage points of body fat to get that 6 pack. Friend me, if you like. I can definitely use the motivation and hearing success stories of others.
  • maurilax
    maurilax Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    a few quick questions,

in doubles, Does anyone else skip the yoga part of the Cardio work out on the day when you do yoga also. on the day when you have Cardio and Plyo which goes first? im thinking Plyo is better first to get every thing out of it and then cardio for whatever you have left. My calculations have me burning 1200+ calories these days and I can feel it, have to make sure to drink a lot more water and and a little more whole wheat carbs.

Has anyone tried the one on one yoga or p90x + yoga in place of the 90min p90x yoga, 2x out of as many as ive done it, i just dont do the balance postures, just the first 45mins or so. usually im playing golf or something somewhat active when i choose to skip them so i guess thats better than nothing.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Traded cardio x out so I could put plyo in. Not digging on the yoga too much. Tempted to sub it out for plyo too. Lol... That first 45 minutes is so dull.... and I always hurt MT back a bit with plow.
  • dunebug101010
    Options
    definitely interested in starting p90x - but how do i figure out calories burned? (i'm sure this is a question that's been asked and answered a million times - sorry!!)
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    definitely interested in starting p90x - but how do i figure out calories burned? (i'm sure this is a question that's been asked and answered a million times - sorry!!)

Most of us use a HRM to determine calorie burned and then create an exercise in the log to log it. One of the DVD's Tony says the average burn is around 600 or 700 calories a workout. But seeing the numbers people in my friends list log, that is off a little bit.

Just would be best to factor in buying a heart rate monitor along with the DVDs. I think it's worth it.
  • alessandragiu1
    alessandragiu1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    hi all.. im starting p90x today.. i weigh 137 im 5'2.. goal is 112.. i was wondering what you think i should start with.. lean or classic.. i want to lose fat then tone up.. please tell me your input thanks :)
  • smurfguru
    smurfguru Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started with lean but didn't find it challenging enough and got bored really quick. I also didn't see the results I was hoping for. I switched to classic 30 days ago and I'm much happier!
  • j3nic3
    Options
    a few quick questions,

in doubles, Does anyone else skip the yoga part of the Cardio work out on the day when you do yoga also. on the day when you have Cardio and Plyo which goes first? im thinking Plyo is better first to get every thing out of it and then cardio for whatever you have left. My calculations have me burning 1200+ calories these days and I can feel it, have to make sure to drink a lot more water and and a little more whole wheat carbs.

Hi. I used to skip the yoga part of cardio x but I have been doing it lately since I'm actually liking it now.
    I haven't gotten to week 9 yet (I'm starting week 6 on Monday) but the doubles schedule that I'm following says to do cardio x in the morning and the rest of the workouts at night. And I think that will be easier on me so I will follow it.
    Weeks 9 through 12 look busy as hell! I'm definitely gonna have to start eating more by then.
  • chelsiburnett
    chelsiburnett Posts: 317
    Options
    back, legs, and ab ripper X done!!!!! Kenpo tommorrow then Rest week!!!!! Wow!! Almost 3 weeks! It's flown by!
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I never havee nergy for AB ripper X does anyone take a short break between?
  • chelsiburnett
    chelsiburnett Posts: 317
    Options
    Kenpo X Complete!!!!! Week 3 done!!!!!! Rest week next!!! YEAH!!!!!! Bring it!:tongue:
  • wsheaf82
    Options

Sometimes I do. Sometimes even an hour break.
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Kenpo X Complete!!!!! Week 3 done!!!!!! Rest week next!!! YEAH!!!!!! Bring it!:tongue:

Good job!
  • chelios7
    Options

No, I just go right into it, but I work out at night after 7 or 8 pm so don't have the time to wait. I'd probably be able to do more reps if if I did wait and build up some energy. Not a bad idea if you have the time to split them up.
  • chelios7
    Options
    I did Kenpo last night and I really felt bored with it. I like the workout a lot but at this point I don't feel even challenged by it. I don't think I hit my max zone heart rate even once. My calorie burn came in at 613 which is till good (don't get me wrong, I was still moving and grooving and sweating a bit), but consider the week before was 672 and my first few weeks was around 730. I probably shouldn't be complaining like I do with Plyo which kicks my butt, but at this point Kenpo just seems a bit tame. I thought about doing it twice and probably would have if it wasn't after 10pm when I finished. What do others think? Kenpo X Plus? Or just stick with this and consider it a winddown for the end of the week?
  • wsheaf82
    Options
    I did Kenpo last night and I really felt bored with it. I like the workout a lot but at this point I don't feel even challenged by it. I don't think I hit my max zone heart rate even once. My calorie burn came in at 613 which is till good (don't get me wrong, I was still moving and grooving and sweating a bit), but consider the week before was 672 and my first few weeks was around 730. I probably shouldn't be complaining like I do with Plyo which kicks my butt, but at this point Kenpo just seems a bit tame. I thought about doing it twice and probably would have if it wasn't after 10pm when I finished. What do others think? Kenpo X Plus? Or just stick with this and consider it a winddown for the end of the week?

Definitely getting easier. Still like the workout but I tend to have to modify it and go at a faster pace then what is on the DVD. When their doing 30, I'm doing 40+.
  • amfaery
    Options

Sometimes I do. Sometimes even an hour break.

Week 9 done yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about 9 total body inches gone! The scale has not moved at all but I am down a pants size so who cares

Anyway I tried something new today, Legs and back warm-up........Ab ripper X.......legs and back workout....stretch

it was so much better I was able to do more Abs I am going to try it with the other workouts now and see if I can get through ABS better
  • amfaery
    Options

Definitely getting easier. Still like the workout but I tend to have to modify it and go at a faster pace then what is on the DVD. When their doing 30, I'm doing 40+.

I started doing Kempo X plus much faster paced kicked my butt again, I also just got Insanity and have traded the P90X cardio for Insanity cardio workouts.....I am a bucket of sweat even during the Insanity warm-ups.. totally different