Best Advice Ever!

Options
Now that I've got your attention, don't you dare "X" out of this thread without responding :noway: !!

Pretend that I'm new to this site (I've been here a year now and lost 65lbs :drinker: ) and give me your BEST weight loss and/or exercise advice :happy:

I'm ready for it, Go! :wink:

:heart: THIS IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. START NOW, NOT LATER:heart:

:heart: DO THE BEST YOU CAN DO TODAY, DON'T WORRY ABOUT YESTERDAY OR TOMORROW:heart:

:heart: YOU ARE WORTH IT:heart:

Replies

• BAHA2011
    BAHA2011 Posts: 2
    Options
    Do some sort of exercise everyday when you are getting started. Whether it is house work, gardening, laundry etc....just start moving everyday and add to it!
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time and never quit. My best exercise advice is plenty of cardio and strength training on a regular basis. I usually take one day a week to recover. Oh, nice to meet ya!:smile:
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't ever quit! You are here to change your life..not to lose the weight and go back to old habits. Like learning anything new, there are struggles and their are successes and you have to embrace both. Set-backs are just learning opportunities to continue to grow!

Also, stay connected with MFP. Track all of your foods and your exercise. Find friends. Post on message boards and create new topics to get help with your questions. All of this helps you stay connected to a community where everyone is working on exactly the same things you are! It gives you something to look forward to besides just logging foods and will keep you connected to your goals!
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Drink PLENTY of water!!! It is good for your weight loss, for your skin, and for your overall health :drinker:
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    What works for someone else may not work for you. Educate yourself and don't give up - YOU are the only person with the potential to be your BEST nutritional advisor and trainer!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    When you don't feel like working out JUST DO IT anyway - you will feel soooo much better (and happier) afterwards!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.
    You cannot spot reduce (ditch muffin top) with exercises.
    Fat does not turn into muscle. Fat cells will always be fat cell and muscle cells will always be muscle cells. Fat cells shrink first which is why we yo-yo diet, it takes longer for them to disappear.
    If you weight train with no cardio you will bulk up.
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Keep trying new exercises until you find something you like. Remember you aren't on a 'diet'. This is how you live now - you will just get more calories when you are maintaining :) Good Luck!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You are going to have bad days. You are going to cheat once in awhile. IT IS OK! Get back on the wagon the next day and move on. It took you years to put all the weight on, so it ain't gonna come off in a week! ;)
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    Lay out all of your work out clothes/gear the night before (especially if you have to "squeeze it in" super early in the morning).

Don't wait for motivation..."motivation is a myth!" (love that quote).
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    someone already said it, but WATER is your BEST friend :)

"Water is not just a thirst quencher--it may speed the body's metabolism. Researchers in Germany found that drinking two 8-ounce glasses of cold water increased their subjects' metabolic rate by 30%, and the effect persisted for 90 minutes. One-third of the boost came from the body's efforts to warm the water, but the rest was due to the work the body did to absorb it. "When drinking water, no calories are ingested but calories are used, unlike when drinking sodas, where additional calories are ingested and possibly stored," explains the lead researcher, Michael Boschmann, MD, of University Medicine Berlin. Increasing water consumption to eight glasses per day may help you lose about 8 pounds in a year, he says, so try drinking a glass before meals and snacks and before consuming sweetened drinks or juices."
    --from a random article i read
  • newnormal2010
    Options
    Don't see yourself or your weightloss "journey" as having failed because of a bad day (or two or ten). Everyone falls of the wagon. The important thing is to get back on.

Similarly, don't throw in the towel on the whole day because you went crazy at one meal or had a snack binge. You don't have to wait for tomorrow to start over.

(I'm better at following the first piece of advice than the second!)
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'll have to agree with what's been said in several different ways so far in that it's consistency that really matters. Make the best choices you can make right now and keep moving forward. Maybe tomorrow or next week you can make even better choices, but just take it one day at a time.

"We are what we repeatedly do,
    Excellence then is not an act, but a habit."
    -Aristotle
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    If you fall of the wagon, get back on immediately. Not tomorrow, not (the dreaded) MONDAY.... RIGHT NOW! The longer you put it off the wrose it will be!:wink:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    The fat burning zone is a myth, workout at as high and intensity as you can.

And the one I wish I had heard months ago:

Metabolic Resistance Training/High Intensity Interval Training will burn a whole lot more fat than long duration, steady state cardio.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Ride it like you stole it

Run like the devil is after you

When you think you can't you must

Now Get Crackin'!!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Exercise gives you MORE energy! Don't let me hear you whine about being to tired to work out!
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    First of all I am new here so.. congrats on the 65 lbs. that is great. What I would say to someone like myself that is new is to definately track all your food and exercise in the journals.. very helpful. Also water .. water..water. After awhile your body craves it. Exercise is sometimes not fun and sometimes you don't feel like doing it.. but after you are done.. wow.. what a difference it makes. Gives you energy and makes you feel overall good about yourself. One last things find friends on this site . Look at other members food diary.. it gives you ideas on what and what not to eat. So with that said.. I am friend requesting you.. since you have lost tons of weight and I bet you would be helpful to me. Take care.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    Believe in your self, work hard to get/stay healthy for family. Drink lots of water. No carbs after 5pm and try not to eat 3 hours before bed.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Talk about it all the time. Be open with everyone that you are working on it. Don't think of yourself as the outsider at the gym, but become a permanent fixture there. All of the check in staff know my daughter and I by name. I don't know their name, but I walk in and don't even have to swipe my membership card. That keeps me going. Almost all of my friends are now people from the gym, so I look forward to going to see them everyday.
    It's about a lifestyle...so live it!