Best Advice Ever!

Options

Replies

• HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself when you're sitting on the computer or in front of the tv, "is what I'm doing going to benefit my life more than working out for a measly 30 minutes?" and "Will I feel better after watching tv or working out?" I know the answer to these two questions and it gets me off my butt and on the treadmill.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Take your time. Go slow. And wear good socks.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Pray, everyday when you wake up, for the strength and motivation to do your very best in all aspects of your life, especially in making healthy choices and getting some exercise. Or meditate, I don't care, but always take a minute to focus before you begin your day. Oh and drink lots of water.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The fat burning zone is a myth, workout at as high and intensity as you can./quote]

I had heard that so many times, too, but my workouts seemed to be a waste of time if I did that. So I increased the intensity and BOOM, I started seeing results! :o)
  • carbonfybr
    carbonfybr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    1) Pain is just weakness leaving the body
    2) Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

And last but not least

I don't use machines, I AM the machine. :devil:
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Log everything you shove in your mouth........drink loads of water............and try and do some exercise everyday!! 65lb is fantastic by the way :)
  • WillWorkout4Food
    WillWorkout4Food Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Drink PLENTY of water!!! It is good for your weight loss, for your skin, and for your overall health :drinker:

AND RUN YOUR BUTT OFF!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rochelle - weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise and you cannot spot reduce with exercise. You eat every day. Even professional athletes don't exercise every day all year long. You have to eat every day all year long. There are a lot of people who just exercise, but make no adjustments to how they are fueling their body ... and then wonder why they are not seeing the results they would like to see.

Additionally, muscle burns more calories than fat, so if you are not doing some sort of strength training and are only focusing on cardio, you are missing a key element in your plan.

Lastly, stay fueled all through the day. Don't let your blood sugar drop and then peak by going hours on end w/out fuel. Those are the times when you feel sluggish, worn down, etc. and are more likely to grab what ever you see as a snack, regardless of how healthy it is or is not. Keeping your body properly fueled throughout the day with high protein, healthy snacks goes a long way in not falling off the "healthy lifestyle" wagon :)
  • jacksonde24
    jacksonde24 Posts: 103
    Options
    Get a Heart rate monitor!!!! I workout much harder now!!!!
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements, the scales sometimes lie!
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Make at least one goal. A real tangible goal and stick to it. When you feel like you're making progress, make another goal (or two or three) even if you haven't reached the first one. Keep your goals in sight and do what works for you.

"When you encounter seemingly good advice that contradicts other seemingly good advice, ignore them both."
    - Al Franken
  • Ridestolive6969
    Options
    My best advice? Hmmmm well, start with a realistic plan, even if its small changes and then build on it. Do things you enjoy along with the things you dont enjoy as much!

Also, know when you are ready to change and then make the committment to yourself, not your spouse, kids or anyone else! This is a personal journey and youre in charge!:flowerforyou:
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,423 Member
    Options
    Don't make things off limits, otherwise it's all you want-enjoy in moderation. Agree with a lot of the other statements.
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    accountablity and consitantcy
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Nail a calendar outside your bathroom door, so when you weigh yourself, you HAVE to walk by it, then write it down....

i take my weight 3 times a day to see fluctuation. and i love it. i've gone from 163 to 143 since Feb. 27 2010
  • Vickie107
    Options
    Truly great advice!! I love your positive messages!
    Thanks
    (From a newbie)
    vickie
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Strength training is at least as important as cardio, but going overboard on either one is counterproductive.

So is going too low on calories. Or too low on water. Or too low on sleep.

Those flat, 100 calorie sandwich bun thingies make good makeshift pizza crusts.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    don't overthink things... if you don't feel like excercising just put one foot forward and don't think just do... and LOVE your water!!! :happy: ~ This is you time baby!!! Make the most of it!!! ~ JM
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you fall of the wagon, get back on immediately. Not tomorrow, not (the dreaded) MONDAY.... RIGHT NOW! The longer you put it off the worse it will be! :wink:

This! For sure! Each new decision is an opportunity to make a healthy choice. Choosing a less healthy option doesn't mean that the entire day is blown. This was a big mental shift for me.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Strength train at least twice a week.

Smile and say "Thank you!" when you get compliments.

Sneak in extra exercise (walk a bit more, take the stairs instead of teh lift, etc)