Best Advice Ever!

Options

Replies

• jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    "Something is always better than nothing."

I'm trying to do a better job of exercising regularly and my brother, who is a fitness fanatic, told me this. It has inspired me on a number of occasions to just do *something.* It doesn't have to be the best workout of your life every time. It just has to be something.
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. Log everything, forever.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Keep trying new exercises until you find something you like. Remember you aren't on a 'diet'. This is how you live now - you will just get more calories when you are maintaining :) Good Luck!

Best advice. Live it. Don't diet.
  • sacfrazier
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water...and watch the sodium content of your foods. Even if you don't feel like working out on a given day, try doing it for at least 10 minutes. Once you get going, you won't stop until your whole workout is finished. Sometimes getting started is the toughest part :happy:
  • digby765
    digby765 Posts: 163
    Options
    best advise i can give is start with your favourite form of exercise, then slowly introduse others, i've found walking 3-4 times a week kick started my exercise regieme and i'm slowly trying other things....:happy:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    As a woman, don't be afraid to lift heavy! You don't have the hormones to bulk up. You will get smaller and leaner! :smile:
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you have an unsupportive significant other, just remember that this is about you, not them. And as HARD as it may be or seem (and yes, it's very hard), you HAVE to separate your eating from their eating. This will upset both of you at first, but eventually it becomes easier. And with time, you may find them starting to want to eat what you eat :)
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    First off, BUMP!

Second: 1) Log EVERYTHING you eat. 2) Drink LOTS of water. 3) Start with attainable goals, not something outlandish that will be difficult to do. The sense of accomplishment will give you the motivation to surge ahead. 4) It's okay to have "off" days, but track them and don't wallow in guilt/self pity. If you can, PLAN those "off" days and try to compensate days before and after with clean, healthy eating and increased activity. And lastly, as someone else has already said, 5) The same thing doesn't work for everyone!!! Try different things and give them fair time (2-3 weeks) to see the results.

Educate yourself and NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • glendaaus
    glendaaus Posts: 27
    Options
    Remember the reasons you wanted to do this in the first place - keep that in your head when you want to fall off!
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Do it for YOU, make YOURSELF proud of YOU, and don't let anyone including YOU to discourage YOU!!!:wink:
  • finity559
    finity559 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    No matter if u have good days or bad, DONT GIVE UP! Push yourself to exercise but not to the point of injury. Try lean ground turkey in lieu of ground beef (you really can't tell the difference...lol) Tweek your favorite recipes to be leaner. Try out New recipes.
    PLATE YOUR MEALS DESIREABLY. Add garnishes of parsley, use pretty plates, add a twisted lemon wedge on top of lemon pepper chicken, make your food a feast for your eyes too! It'll make you feel like your eating gourmet food! :)
    Last but not least...LOVE YOURSELF & BE GOOD TO YOU. Remember all your efforts are to show love for yourself. Never forget that. :)
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    -Eat your exercise calories!! (but make sure they're based on the reading of an HRM that includes a chest strap)

-Measure your food (a food scale is a great, inexpensive investment)

-Don't cheat yourself. By that, I don't mean don't have a cheat day or meal every now and then. But don't cheat yourself by fudging your food diary to make it look better. Log everything (the good, the bad, and the ugly).

-Fully commit to the process. It took time to put the weight on, so it's going to take time to lose it. Log in every day, exercise several times a week, and try to stay within 100-200 calories of your net calories as often as possible. If you keep at this dilligently, I fully believe that MFP can work for anyone.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    move, walk around something. patience you didn't gain this weight in a day, week, month.....it will come off. everything in moderation.
  • Kimmers_80
    Options
    :heart: I'm not doing this for anyone but ME! :heart:

:heart: It's not about LOOKING good (that's icing on the cake), but rather about FEELING good :heart:
  • bebababy
    bebababy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Love this one!!! so i second this one.

Ride it like you stole it

Run like the devil is after you

When you think you can't you must

Now Get Crackin'!!
    [/quote]
  • Snapper46
    Snapper46 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Water...drink it, half of your body weight....or at least 64 oz everyday. 200 lbs = 100 oz.

log everthing you eat, in fact measure it, A serving is always smaller that what you think. very time consuming but worth it.

Change your exercise routine, don't get in a rut.

Clean your pantry and hiding places of treats, snack crackers, etc.. if it isn't there you can't eat it.

treat yourself once a week to a special meal and dessert, if you don't the binge monster will show up.

When eating out ask the waitress to place half of the meal in a to go box before serving.

Avoid fast food, if you can't eat as healthy as possible, no fries. Certain Fast food joints salads are more calorie heavy than the value meal deal. Do not super size any thing.

Ask for support from family and friends.

If the family eats a big evening meal, eat afterwards to have some quiet time with your spouse, no TV, eat slowly and drink 8-16 oz water 15 -20 minutes prior to the meal.

Stay busy, boredorm leads to munchies, hunger pains can be reduced by water. :tongue:
  • LGripne
    LGripne Posts: 12
    Options
    Allow yourself one, "free," day a week where you don't count calories and you allow yourself to have some of your favorite foods. You reduce the urge to binge on your good days when you know that you can have whatever you want occassionally. Also, it tends to jumpstart your metabolism (at least for my husband & myself) if your body has begun to think it is starving.:smile:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself one, "free," day a week where you don't count calories and you allow yourself to have some of your favorite foods. You reduce the urge to binge on your good days when you know that you can have whatever you want occassionally. Also, it tends to jumpstart your metabolism (at least for my husband & myself) if your body has begun to think it is starving.:smile:

While good advise for some, when I do one free day a week I will not lose. One a month works fine for me though. I think the principle behind this is don't constantly deny yourself. If you really want chocolate, have a small piece that fits within your calorie budget and don't sweat one day every once in a while where you eat whatever you would like.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body".
    A Navy SEALS Saying

"Try not! Do or do not! There is no try…"
    Yoda
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Record everything-awareness is everything
    Add some supportive friends-love mine!