My parents tried to murder me.

Options
koosdel
koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
So I was watching a YouTube video where these guys fall out of a truck, and for some reason it reminded me of my childhood.

Pretty sure my parents didn't like me... I mean, I ate raw cookie doe, rare beef, we played lawn darts, had no idea what a seat belt was, rode in the bed of a pick up, went boating without like preservers, they made me push now the whole yard. I think I was the only 8 year old around that could drive a mule team. I had to cut tobacco until I puked, haul hay, shoot pigs in the head, strangle chickens to death. I ate mercury fish from the lake. There was a loaded M1 carbine in the kitchen, WITH OUT A TRIGGER LOCK! They wouldn't let me watch TV after 8 o'clock, I got a rope for Christmas one year. No matter bow hot, or cold, or rainy it was I had to go outside and play.

Yup. They was trying to off me for sure.

Replies

• KristenAnn711
    Options
    Totally
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    My dad used to let us ride in an open trailer on the hilly and winding roads on the way to the cottage. I think some of the dishes my mom had contained lead, too. It's a miracle we survived.
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    ha ha ha i know right, I grew up in alaska and had to walk ALL BY MYSELF to the bus!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are 62 instead of 32? Sounds a lot like childhood in my day too. LoL
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

I say you sue them! :angry:
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    ahhh lawn darts. those were the good old days. i never got hurt though with those toys, i get hurt from 2 year olds toys though. even lincoln logs were better. those things are plastic now. i miss the wood ones.
  • MAK_01
    MAK_01 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Parent's aren't supposed to do those things?
    My siblings and I would literally crawl between the back and the "way back" (old school station wagon) while the car was moving. No seat belts, no car seats. We had a chemistry set, that we played with without supervision. And my favorite game was hi-ho Cherrio, with the small plastic cherries, can you say choking potential.

Now those were some good times!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I used to walk to school with my two younger siblings when I was 8 years old! they were 6 and 5... now I am hard pressed to find a 17 year old who isn't driven to school everyday... it wasn't a short walk either... lol
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think all that is code for NOT SPOILED like alot of kids are today :laugh:

I didn't live on a farm, so that stuff didn't apply, but my mom would literally lock us out until dinner time. She would cook, clean, take a shower (god forbid!)

Just the good life :tongue:
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Sounds like my childhood. . a while ago (when I wasn't using MFP the way I should. . oops :embarassed: ) I was making chocolate chip cookies & got me a big spoonful of the dough. . .my FAVORITE part, when my husband said "don't you know that can kill you??" My response. . .I've did it all my life and it's not killed me yet and if I die at least I'll die happy. . .lol (Of course I was just kidding, I am not wanting to die anytime soon!!) But yeah, I can relate. . .and the seatbelts. . lol. I remember Dad getting pulled over by a State Trooper once on the way home from the grocery store in our Pinto. . .family of 5 I might add. . .lol My sis was a toddler & the Trooper said something about her not being in a carseat. . .she was sitting on a big bag of potatoes. ..:laugh: BUT Dad didn't get a ticket. .so the potatoes must have been safe enough!! Thanks for posting this. . .it sure brought back some memories! :happy:
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    And they never fed you those cigarettes that you so desperately needed. I think a call to CPS is in order.
  • rroman24
    rroman24 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hahahaha if Jeff Foxworthy read this he'd just say "if you've experienced these thigs, you're a redneck" LOL
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I remember riding in the back of the pick-up truck! Hahahahaha!!!
    We used to be outside all day, running around in the woods or swimming in the chuck! We were just little but nobody knew where we were for hours at a time! I never got an allowance, if I wanted new jeans I had to chop gooey ducks for bait for my dad's prawn boat ans earn $1 an hour! Mind you, jeans back then were only about $25 and a pack of smokes was $1:25!!! Yes, were were in the woods smoking, the guy that ran the corner store had no problem keeping our secret! Hahahaha!! Ah! Those were the days!!!!
  • zave
    zave Posts: 238
    Options
    I remember playing tackle football on a asphalt playground surface. Which also triggers a lot of memories of crying a lot as a child.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Pfft...my minister tried to drown me when I was 5.

Know you know why I am an atheist. firedevil.gif
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thank God our children are spared so much torture - they've got the ACLU! See how much better off they all are??? :laugh: I don't know how we all survived. Oprah helps alot and Dr. Phil! :laugh:
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I remember in the summer, everyday I would leave the house as soon as I woke up (sometimes even before my parents) and me and friends would just walk around town, and swim in the creek on the edge of town, and *gasp* talk to strangers all the time. I wouldn't get home until right at dark and my parents wouldn't ever even ask what I did that day.

My parents had no idea where I was or IF I was. If I had been kidnapped or murdered - they probably wouldn't have found out until at least the next day, they would've assumed that I just slept over with someone.

The didn't have phone numbers to any of my friends parents, and there were no cellphones. How in the world did we all make it to adulthood?

I'm now one of the most over-protective mothers on the planet... my poor kids don't get to experience much without me knowing *sigh*
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I was a "latch-key" kid when I was 5 years old!!! :noway: What were my parents thinking?
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    Pfft...my minister tried to drown me when I was 5.

Know you know why I am an atheist. firedevil.gif

ha ha ha ha well i guess that would do it.