My parents tried to murder me.

Options

Replies

• Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    I was 7 or 8 riding my little bike on a very busy street to ABC Liquor store with a note:

"I give my permission to Joyce to purchase 2 packs of Pall Mall Red Cigarettes [mom's signature]"
    and THEY SOLD THEM TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!! :noway: I could then buy a Chick-o-stick with the change ten cents! HAHAHAHAAA

I also remember it was always a race to get grandpa his next Coors, if you got granpda the beer, you got to open it and have the first drink. :bigsmile: We were barely tall enough to open the fridge!!

Man, at 43, I feel like an old timer! GOOD TIMES!!

YES!!!!!!! I used to do this for my grandma! We got to buy candy cigarettes with the leftover change! I don't even think they sell candy cigarettes anymore.....
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I remember using the out house when my grandmother didn't have an indoor bathroom.

Yup, grew up using an outhouse. At night when it was dark and too scary to go all the way to the outhouse, if we only had to pee, we would squat down right behind the house or even beside the house and pee there instead. During the winter we also had a pot to pee in inside the house. When it got full, we'd take it out to the outhouse to empty it.

What a fun thread this is. :bigsmile:

Oh, the dreaded 'slop jar'. My grandfather refused to "do the reading" in the house. He said it was disgusting.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    -Sleding in the snow on cookie sheets because there was "no reason to spend money a sled, you're small enough for a cookie sheet."

AWESOME! My mom said the same thing to us!! We used to sneak sticks of butter to grease the bottom so we could go faster down the hills too! :bigsmile:
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My car seat as an infant was a laundry basket. When I was a kid, roaming without a car seat, I didn't fear an accident, I feared my mom with a flyswatter.

:laugh: :laugh: Mine was my mom with her wooden spoon, LOL

I never saw my mom use that wooden spoon for cooking.

Neither did I, LOL. She would just go to the drawer and I would start running, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

HAHAHAHA!!!! My mom used the wooden spoon on us too!! Or a hairbrush, whichever was closest to her at the time! :laugh:

My mom was a "progressive" liberal California hippie and she STILL paddled our *kitten* with the wooden spoon. What happened to true liberalism!?! If you so much as grab a kid wrong they throw you in jail. My bro took his kid to the bathroom for some butt-strokes in Target. The security guard said "what are you doing?" My bro said "if I don't do this now, he'll come back and steal from you in ten years. Do you want that?"
  • xxMsComptonxx
    Options
    I live in Indiana and when I was twelve my mom and stepdad put a mattress in the back of the truck bed and piled 4 of us (me and my friends) in and we went to kings island... <-- thats in cinncinati, oh LOL!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Crossing a very busy highway with a garbage bag full of empty pop/beer cans to return for money to buy candy....
  • koosdel
    Options
    "Only going to the hospital if a bone was showing..."

Oh yeah. They would tell me, "You ain't hurt" and "If you want to cry, I'll give you something to cry about." Looking back, I know they did the right thing. I wouldn't trade it for nothing.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Aw heck... I wasn't scared of my mom or that wooden spoon. It was the usage of my full name followed by the words... Just Wait till your father gets home!

Kids don't have it so bad anymore... Really.

They can be as stupid as they want...They will survive. Darwinism doesn't work anymore.

We could however solve part of the problem. Just take the safety labels off of everything and let them sort it all out. :laugh:
  • sunshine269
    sunshine269 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    LOL no kidding!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I was always riding in the back of the pickup truck, "rafting" down the river on a piece of insulation (yes, insulation), eating raw cookie dough, walking alone to my grandmother's house (1 mile from my parent's house) at the age of 5, no seat belt (wasn't required by law), sledding down our back hill, which was covered in trees--there were a number of injuries...
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    "Only going to the hospital if a bone was showing..."

Oh yeah. They would tell me, "You ain't hurt" and "If you want to cry, I'll give you something to cry about." Looking back, I know they did the right thing. I wouldn't trade it for nothing.

Oh yeah, the "I'll give you something to cry about", SCARY--I stopped crying immediately.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the whole thread but I bet I got everybody topped: I remember playing in the swamps by the rail road tracks. Couldn't have been older than 10.
    The thing is we had to crawl UNDER the train sometimes to get to the swamps! oh God. Just thinking of it now makes my heart beat too fast. lol!
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Wow, LOVE this thread, just LOVE it ta pieces!!
    -Riding bikes w/o helmets and/or a friend on the handlebars
    -Crashing said bike and losing chunks of flesh but being more worried about getting in trouble for damaging the bike and/or cloths
    -Drinking out of the garden hose if you were outside and thirsty
    -Being forced to eat liver for dinner at least once a month :P
    -Riding in the open back of pickup truck, or hanging legs off the open end of the pickup truck
    -Thinking a garbage bag would make a great parachut and being encouraged by my mother to try it off the roof of the house
    -8:00pm bed time, even in the summer when the sun was still up. :(
    -Summer Vacation was picking weeds in the yard on Saturdays. :(
    -Playing Kickball in the street.
    -"Swimming" in any and all creeks, ponds, mud puddles.
    -Trip to the "Water park" was the sprinkler in the front yard.
    -Fancy "Rich" friends who had the Slip N Slide along with their sprinklers.
    -Being forced to ware plaid polyster bell bottoms.
    -Insisting the WHOLE family had to pile into the car in the middle of the summer at high noon to ride to the gas station and get in the gas lines during the 70's, when EVERY car had cheap black plastic seats that fused with your flesh in the summer heat.
    -Only going to the hospital if a bone was showing or a bandaid couldn't stop the bleeding.
    -Being told, after falling out of the back of the pickup while it was moving, "Quit playing around and act like you got some sense!"

Yes, I most definately have turned into one of the "old people" remembering walking 5 miles backward up a hill in the snow barefoot.....oh, that's another one...

-Mom's great idea, "Get your brother and go out barefoot in the snow, I bet you can't make it to the street and back!" Then she locked the door behind us laughing.
    -Sleding in the snow on cookie sheets because there was "no reason to spend money a sled, you're small enough for a cookie sheet."

Oh, just let me stop now...

Were you secretly living in my house???

Oh, for a slip n slide my step dad took an old water bed and cut it length wise. Then we added some black plastic at the end. Mom set the water flow on the hose because water cost money too.
  • Cydnie197
    Cydnie197 Posts: 38
    Options
    We also sunbathed with baby oil on midday in Mississippi.

Wow, I mustn't have learned... I did that LAST SUMMER in Colorado!! I was only out for about 15 minutes, but I was NICE and tan!!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I was a "latch-key" kid when I was 5 years old!!! :noway: What were my parents thinking?

OMG! I am so glad I wasn't the only one!! LOL!

I had the house key on yarn around my neck like a necklace inside my shirt, walked home from school, let myself in and ate a snack and watched TV until my parents came home!!

Once my neighbor offered to take me home and I told him "My mom told me not to take rides from strangers!!" LOL!!! :laugh:
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i love this thread reminds me of all the fun we had as children.... my parents decided to move from texas to pennsylvania and since they didn't have a home or rental in PA they bought a church bus, then took most of the seats out, then they furnished it with a couple mattresses, a couch, and a cooler. we then drove that bus to PA parked in the parking lot at the local pool and went to school from there until dad found a job and rented a house. oh and the dog and cat came along for the ride.....lol
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You must not have lived in New England, my parents made me shovel snow, in the winter, when it was cold. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I love these stories of "back in the day"!!
    I remember putting on my bathing suit at night when I was 5-6 yrs old, and running up and down the street in the middle of a summer thunderstorm! Every time the thunder would clap, my brother and I would race back to the covered porch where my parents sat and watched us. I got looked at like I was crazy by my hubby when I suggested our kids go run in the rain. Apparently he was sheltered as a child. :ohwell:

Oh I remember doing that. We loved playing in the rain! And during tornado season, Mom would let us go running up the hill to the other end of the block while it was storming and raining and then she would get worried because we took too long coming back. :laugh: We didn't have tornado sirens in our tiny town so she and our neighbor would watch the skies and listen to the radio to know if we needed to go inside and take cover or not. We didn't have a basement so under the kitchen table was our shelter. Awww, those were the good ole days.

Holy heck I remember when the flash storms would flood the street and to make it more like a swimming pool we would dip ourselves into the storm drain so we could show our friends the water came up to our necks! Gad zooks...
  • koosdel
    Options
    The rail road tracks was the one place I wasn't allowed to go. My mom would tell me that if I got ran over that I would have to find someone else to clean it up because she wouldn't.

Needless to say, the tracks were one of my favorite places to play. I mashed pennies, rocks, sticks, a fish, and just about anything else I could balance on the tracks.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

YES!!!!!!! I used to do this for my grandma! We got to buy candy cigarettes with the leftover change! I don't even think they sell candy cigarettes anymore.....
    [/quote]
    No, but you can get your kid a kiddie coctail that looks like a fine margarita