Do you feel like people treat you diffrent now that you've l

Options

Replies

• AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Please remember that threads are an online "conversation" of support and common interest - if you don't like the topic, please just scroll past it. What is of interest to you, might not be of interest to me - such is life. :smile:

Everyone has a story as to 'why' and 'how' they gained their weight - let's not judge each other, but support each other instead. :flowerforyou: As we are learning here, it only takes 3500 excess calories to gain a pound, so someone could gain 20 pounds in a year if they ate an extra 2 bananas a day!

Laurie49120 - my heart breaks for you story - I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. You have great courage and strength to (1) share that story, and (2) make the change in your weight, that will ultimately bring up all of those feelings that got you here. Bravo to you for starting this journey!

We can have compassion for the 'why' and 'how' and IMHO, that's the kind of support that encourages weight loss and success! :flowerforyou:
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Now back to the topic!
    yup! I'm getting stares again! woo hoo! (doin' a dance!)

:laugh: :laugh: :wink: :wink: :blushing: :blushing:
  • emmab3ar
    emmab3ar Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I didn't think this discussion would get so much attention. Thanks for all your opinions I really appreciate it.
  • AJCM
    Options
    Now back to the topic!

Well, you're lookin good lady!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that "fat discrimination" is non-gender specific. It exists. YES. And I've noticed that it doesn't really matter what gender you are. And even females treat heavier females different, and males treat heavier males different and opposite gender also. When I was almost 300 lbs, I found it very difficult to be taken seriously by anyone. It's better now at 215, but I stil need to do more! And when my thyroid quit working and I packed on 15 lbs in 3 weeks, and a total of 40 before the meds got adjusted, trust me even my doc wouldn't take me seriously. Sad, sad situation we are in!

But kudos to all of us who are on the journey and the he** with the rest of 'em!! (the discriminators, that is!)
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Please remember that threads are an online "conversation" of support and common interest - if you don't like the topic, please just scroll past it. What is of interest to you, might not be of interest to me - such is life. :smile:

Everyone has a story as to 'why' and 'how' they gained their weight - let's not judge each other, but support each other instead. :flowerforyou: As we are learning here, it only takes 3500 excess calories to gain a pound, so someone could gain 20 pounds in a year if they ate an extra 2 bananas a day!

Laurie49120 - my heart breaks for you story - I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. You have great courage and strength to (1) share that story, and (2) make the change in your weight, that will ultimately bring up all of those feelings that got you here. Bravo to you for starting this journey!

We can have compassion for the 'why' and 'how' and IMHO, that's the kind of support that encourages weight loss and success! :flowerforyou:

Ditto a million times!

Laurie, my heart goes out to you! I'm positive you're a wonderful person. Don't let ANYONE ever get you down. Hold your head high. Congrats on making a change in your life for a better you! We all are here to support you, in your lifestyle change and in your everyday general life. Welcome to the MFP family! :flowerforyou:
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Now back to the topic!

That's cause you're looking HOT in that dress! Show that pic again! That pic should be your default! lol
    *whisltes*
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I do feel like people treat me differently. Oh well, it is what it is!! :) I think part of it is because my posture is better, I look people in the eye and simply smile more because I am happier, have more energy and just feel better. So, it very well could be because my entire demeanor has changed as the pounds came off, which in turn makes me more attractive to people.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I have to say that when I was a teen and was in pretty great shape (though I was taller and not anorexic looking but rather looked like a jock) I FELT like I big gross blob of a girl. I was looking at some old photos the other day in awe at what the mind can do to control the eyes. I looked GREAT! But I got NO attention from guys and was basically treated like I felt about myself. In university I became a lot more confident (despite the yet-unknown decline of my thyroid which led to mystery weight gain and a much lumpier body!) and I started getting LOTS of attention.

Now, the biggest difference I notice is surrounding food. It makes me SO angry! 2 months ago before I started this, if I said something about loving food or cooking or discussed food or ate dessert at a restaurant people would make this self-conscious face. Now that I'm looking a lot more athletic again (my muscles develop easily so it's obvious that I work out if my arms are showing, even if there's still way more fat on there than I'd like..) I don't get those looks. People are happy to discuss food with me. Frustrates the heck out of me.

But we are definitely taught to make assumptions about fat people. And most people I know in that demographic have a story that would surprise a lot of the people who judge them.
    And I must say that I find it horrifying and sad that anyone who is a part of this website could condone the kind of treatment discrimination brings, regardless of the roots. Sheesh.

Well, as someone already said, here's to us all becoming conscientious fit people who don't pay that particular behaviour forward!
  • AJCM
    Options
    I have to say that when I was a teen and was in pretty great shape (though I was taller and not anorexic looking but rather looked like a jock) I FELT like I big gross blob of a girl. I was looking at some old photos the other day in awe at what the mind can do to control the eyes. I looked GREAT! But I got NO attention from guys and was basically treated like I felt about myself. In university I became a lot more confident (despite the yet-unknown decline of my thyroid which led to mystery weight gain and a much lumpier body!) and I started getting LOTS of attention.

Now, the biggest difference I notice is surrounding food. It makes me SO angry! 2 months ago before I started this, if I said something about loving food or cooking or discussed food or ate dessert at a restaurant people would make this self-conscious face. Now that I'm looking a lot more athletic again (my muscles develop easily so it's obvious that I work out if my arms are showing, even if there's still way more fat on there than I'd like..) I don't get those looks. People are happy to discuss food with me. Frustrates the heck out of me.

But we are definitely taught to make assumptions about fat people. And most people I know in that demographic have a story that would surprise a lot of the people who judge them.
    And I must say that I find it horrifying and sad that anyone who is a part of this website could condone the kind of treatment discrimination brings, regardless of the roots. Sheesh.

Well, as someone already said, here's to us all becoming conscientious fit people who don't pay that particular behaviour forward!

Thanks for sharing your story! I love what you said about looking back at pics from the past and seeing a beautiful girl... even though you are working on getting fitter, remember that you are beautiful RIGHT NOW!!!!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Now back to the topic!

That's cause you're looking HOT in that dress! Show that pic again! That pic should be your default! lol
    *whisltes*

awww shucks!:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
    Thanks Crystal!
  • AJCM
    Options
    Now back to the topic!

*whisltes*

awww shucks!:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
    Thanks Crystal!

Okay Jen, where's this pic???? Come on girl...
    :tongue:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Well, one last post on this, then I'll shut up--

With the exception of medication, show me one fat person who didn't, as I described, got fat because they ate too much and exercised too little? Yes, we all have our stories. Some worse than others. Food is a great crutch. And it is a common theme among fat people that food was their "drug of choice" to help them deal with their problems.

I don't sit here in judgment of You. I sit here in judgment of MYSELF. I am a member of this site, too, with a lifelong weight battle. My entire life I had 20+ pounds to lose, now I'm at 50+. Sure, I had emotional childhood issues, emotional adult issues that I "dealt with" by turning to food, but at the end of the day, regardless of what I've had to endure, I am responsible for what I ate, how much of it I ate, and how I let myself go. Healthy food or junk food? Irrelevant. Overeating is overeating, and again, we are responsible for our weight and what we do to our bodies.

I'm sure there are stories of sadness that will make our heads spin that were "helped" by folks turning to food. I am truly saddened to read of Laurie's trials. But, the bottom line of my post doesn't change-- find me one person here who isn't directly responsible for their weight gain.

Because we're in the same boat, I should think we wouldn't be so thin-skinned about it. Our stories may be different, but the bottom line isn't. We weren't born fat, it's something we can control as is evidenced by how much weight some of you all have lost, and since "society" knows this, if they wish to judge us negatively because of something negative in us that is controllable, so be it. With very few exceptions, it is deserved. And again, I'll be thrilled when I can take that issue off the table and won't have to be viewed thus.

(Please note that I've said US -- I'm not pointing the finger. I'm right there in the trenches alongside everyone else here who is trying to take off weight, gained for whatever reason-- )
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    This is a sensitive topic for me.
    I've been debating whether or not to respond to this thread, and have decided to do so after great consideration.

I myself have never been obese, although I have struggled with being overweight for the last few years. My father had a twin sister, however, who has since passed away, that was medically classified as "morbidly obese". She had a thyroid disorder that went undiagnosed for far too long, and she gained about 300 pounds. By the time she was correctly diagnosed, she'd carried around the weight long enough to wreak havoc on both of her knees. I lived across the street from her, and we joined her frequently for mealtimes- my aunt didn't eat any more than anyone else at the table did. The stress on her knees made it very difficult to work out - she tried water aerobics, but was humiliated when she needed the help of a few people to get in/out of the pool and didn't go back. Even walking at that point was painful. When she did go out in public, people stared at her, and made cutting comments about her as if she weren't within earshot. It infuriates me to no end when people make generalizations about the reasons why people are overweight. The kind of people that view being overweight as some kind of weakness, and themselves as somehow superior because they've escaped getting "that big". The kind that say things like "I would NEVER let myself go that far", and "How can they stand to live like that?" The kind that view the obese as worthless wastes of space instead of living, breathing, FEELING human beings. I loved my aunt Debbie more than those kind of people will ever know, and the majority of them don't give a flip. She died trying to lose weight. She died trying (unsuccessfully) to bring her own body under her control again. Heck, even if she didn't have a medical issue, and she was an emotional eater, food can be an addiction like any other. I'm not suggesting that people not take accountability for their physical condition, I'm suggesting that other people show some compassion and offer encouragement instead of belittiling those that ARE trying, that haven't given up on themselves.

As far as the discrimination goes, with the "discriminating against people that are overweight is okay because you can control your weight" logic, why don't we just start discriminating against people with red hair? Or glasses? Or french manicures? Those are also things within the spectrum of our control, and would be equally ridiculous as qualifiers of worth.

I'm not trying to be divisive, and I'm finished commenting on this topic- I just wanted to add my two cents.

I love you all,

:heart: Manda
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Manda - that was a very good post. I'm so sorry about your aunt. What a brave, wonderful lady. You are blessed to have had such a person in your life. :flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

As far as the discrimination goes, with the "discriminating against people that are overweight is okay because you can control your weight" logic, why don't we just start discriminating against people with red hair? Or glasses? Or french manicures? Those are also things within the spectrum of our control, and would be equally ridiculous as qualifiers of worth.

I'm not trying to be divisive, and I'm finished commenting on this topic- I just wanted to add my two cents.

I love you all,

:heart: Manda

I get this all the time cause I am blonde....drives me nuts....

I am very sorry for you aunt though, she sounds like a very strong woman to me.
    It can be so hard to make changes when the world is always pointing the finger and playing the blame game.
    She is way braver then me.....I haven't owned a swimsuit in YEARS! What an honor it would of been to have known her.

You come from strong stock Manda, don't ever doubt that.

• sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Darn straight.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    She WAS a wonderful lady...

Debbie L.

2/6/1955 -7/14/2001

She was such a loving person- she always had a funny story to tell, she was forever laughing at something... We used to sit on the front porch eating our sugar-free fudgesicles together, and I went with her to her doctor's appointments while she was on her weight loss journey... She was a mother to me when my own mother wouldn't be. I miss her so so much.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    She WAS a wonderful lady...

Debbie L.

2/5/1955 -7/14/2001

She was such a loving person- she always had a funny story to tell, she was forever laughing at something... We used to sit on the front porch eating our sugar-free fudgesicles together, and I went with her to her doctor's appointments while she was on her weight loss journey... She was a mother to me when my own mother wouldn't be. I miss her so so much.

Ahhh kiddo, I am so sorry. What a good example to have.
    I do enjoy a good story....then again I do enjoy fudgesicles too! I am sure I would of had a grand ol' time with her....Here's to fudgesicles in Heaven..even if they are the sugar free kind. :wink:
  • AJCM
    Options
    I'm with Manda (Thanks for responding Manda, and thanks for sharing your story). :flowerforyou:

Let's not judge each other, and oversimplify the situation. My simplified version is this: IMHO it's never okay to refer to people as "fat" and "disgusting", simple as that. Let's be supportive! :flowerforyou:

Just because one includes themselves in a group, does not make derogatory comments acceptable. If I were to use a racial slur about my own ethinicity, that does not make it okay. It still references all others in my group with ugliness and hate.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!