Do you feel like people treat you diffrent now that you've l

Options

Replies

• DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I just wanted to add my two cents to the discussion about fat prejudice and why we have become fat.

I am well into the obese range of the weight chart and have had 40+ pounds on where I am now at one point (in high school - I don't recommend that!) and also work in the mental health field. I have spent a lot of time soul searching to explore my own weight gain and how to address it now. I feel that I personally gained weight thanks to bad family eatting habits, very poor self esteem, genetics, and depression.

After reading what both women had to say (and having strong reactions to both), I think that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I definitely believe that, especially for the morbidly obese crowd, that most people have trauma histories of some kind that led them to where they are now with their bodies. I also believe that there are plenty of people who ended up in the same situation by other circumstances. I think we need to have empathy for our fellow brothers and sisters who struggle with obesity, because we are beautiful people who have struggled a lot.

However, I also think that we need to be careful about fighting against fat prejudice. It is very hard to be accepting of your body and aware of these prejudices at the same time. I went through a time when I was very angry with people who were prejudiced against me, but then I realized that I hold the same prejudices. If you can be really honest with yourself, you might reach the same conclusion. How many times have you caught yourself noticing another person who is bigger than you and taking pride in the fact that you aren't them? Terrible, but true. I am working on that for myself. If big people can't even love other big people, then how are we meant to ask smaller people to ignore weight?

Society has attached so many meanings to obesity and most are negative. This won't be changing any time soon, although I do believe people are becoming more aware in recent years of what this can do to people. I had to make a choice to take care of myself first and fight against other people's ways of thinking later.

I hope this added some new thoughts to your discussion. I'm not sure if I made as much sense as I had hoped to... hard to put a lifetime of ideas into one post! Thanks all for sharing your stories.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Of course it made sense~
    :smile:
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Now back to the topic!
    yup! I'm getting stares again! woo hoo! (doin' a dance!)

:laugh: :laugh: :wink: :wink: :blushing: :blushing:

That's cause you're looking HOT in that dress! Show that pic again! That pic should be your default! lol
    *whisltes*

awww shucks!:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
    Thanks Crystal!

Okay Jen, where's this pic???? Come on girl...
    :tongue:

Okay, it's now my main pic (just for you Crystal!)
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Now back to the topic!
    yup! I'm getting stares again! woo hoo! (doin' a dance!)

:laugh: :laugh: :wink: :wink: :blushing: :blushing:

That's cause you're looking HOT in that dress! Show that pic again! That pic should be your default! lol
    *whisltes*

awww shucks!:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
    Thanks Crystal!

Okay Jen, where's this pic???? Come on girl...
    :tongue:

Okay, it's now my main pic (just for you Crystal!)

That's it! OMG you look great! I love that dress! :flowerforyou:
  • ckiwis
    ckiwis Posts: 1
    Options
    So true, I've lost 80 lbs and 67 more to go. I'm grateful they're opening doors, paying more attention (a little shy about it), maybe a little self-conscious about having smaller waist & a little bigger than average breasts but it's so hot here in Arizona. So It's hard not to notice, I sort of dislike it, the attention. I'm thankful for my health, it's much better and I'm able to exercise. I agree with all of you, and I have more confidence in myself than I didn't before and I see it in a positive light. Be grateful. :happy:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Chubbybunny...

I'm loving the new pic..hair looks awesome

Some responses on this post made me think....if you're Dh (or SO) tells u that u are beautiful..do u believe them?
    I think no matter how often u hear you are beautiful from your SO...(unless you believe it)...it doesn't mean anything

To be honest, I always felt OK about my looks...not the best, but could be worse....I'm OK with that
    I try my best with what was given to me :)

Kim
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Chubbybunny...

Some responses on this post made me think....if you're Dh (or SO) tells u that u are beautiful..do u believe them?
    I think no matter how often u hear you are beautiful from your SO...(unless you believe it)...it doesn't mean anything

To be honest, I always felt OK about my looks...not the best, but could be worse....I'm OK with that

Kim

I have actually gotten more comfortable with who I am as I have gotten older. I think most people have just learned to live with themselves and what looks they have and are more accepting of who they are. Of course this doesn't mean everyone.

I just know that I feel better about myself right now than I ever have in my life. Not only because I have lost weight..but because I am super proud of myself for doing it the healthy way and for making myself as healthy as I can for my family. And I just have more energy. All of these things put a smile on my face more often.

Am I perfect? Of course not. Are there things I wish I could change? Of course there are! LOL! But, I am who I am.... I have been for 33 (almost 34 years). I just want to live my life in peace and enjoy myself and stop worrying about everything so much. I am LEARNING to take compliments better too! I used to sort of smile and look away because I was uncomfortable. Now, because I am proud of my accomplishment.....I smile and simply say "Thank you!"
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Chubbybunny...

Kim

Thank you! :smile:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    HA! I have the same thing.
    Guys don't say I am pretty....although i did have this scarey "homeless" person tell me I was a "pretty lady" I almost punched him in the head (cause it was not a good day to start with). Oh! Or those little old guys in the neighborhood.....i am not sure they count.

I am sure guys think it....sometimes they are probably intimidated, insecure (too), or fear rejection....just like us!

I think you are pretty. :smile:
  • sgtinvincible
    Options
    I think you look a lot like Elliot from Scrubs

elliot_hair.jpg
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

elliot_hair.jpg

Funny you should mention her.
    A guy who tried to date me messed around with her. HAHA! The slut (him not her) (Thanks a lot! : P)

J, I won't punch you in the head......but didn't you used to hit on Fatsis?. :tongue:
    HAHA!
  • sgtinvincible
    Options

elliot_hair.jpg

Funny you should mention her.
    A guy who tried to date me messed around with her. HAHA! The slut (him not her) (Thanks a lot! : P)

J, I won't punch you in the head......but didn't you used to hit on Fatsis?. :tongue:
    HAHA!

In a purely platonic life partner kind of way, yes....
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    HAHA! You kill me!

Thank you....she is cute....despite my tragic story associated with her (not really the guy was WAY too creepy)
  • sgtinvincible
    Options
    HAHA! You kill me!

Thank you....she is cute....despite my tragic story associated with her (not really the guy was WAY too creepy)

Well, to be honest, I do think you are pretty. So there.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    HAHA! You kill me!

Ah thanks ya nut.
    However, I love Manda's dark hair so she is WAY hotter then me.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Girl, you look GREAT! That hairstyle really suits you.....SO pretty!
  • sgtinvincible
    Options
    HAHA! You kill me!

Ah thanks ya nut.

I am about to unleash the Manda bear fury on myself but...

*Manda might not be a true brunette....*
  • TamTastic
    Options
    HAHA! You kill me!

Ah thanks ya nut.

I am about to unleash the Manda bear fury on myself but...

*Manda might not be a true brunette....*
    *Gasp!*
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    J, WHY YOU TELLIN' EVERYBODY MY SECRETS!?!

angrybear.jpg
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Girl, you look GREAT! That hairstyle really suits you.....SO pretty!

You are a sweetie!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!