Do big boobs make you look fat?

Options

Replies

• cacfish
    cacfish Posts: 24
    Options
    Yes big boobs make you look fat- I have VERY very large boobs and my partner often says to me that if they weren't so big I wouldn't really look fat at all....i think its still a case of meet my boobs first and then me...i'm hoping that when i get to my next 30lb target that there will be some loss or reduction. But i can't ever imagine them being smaller - from a very young age when I was developed in that area long before the other girls....at uni my nicknames were all around my boobs - I can see that I have a small frame underneath (i'm 5 ft 1/2 inch lol) but being really heavy up top i dont think that nice small me will every be revealed....we can but try!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Sweetie - I hate to tell you this, but if you are busty - you just can't wear VS bras. They are "vanity sized" and I've found that their fittings are sub par. Even if you have travel a ways, please go to a speciality bra shop or Nordstroms to get fitted. Bras will be more expensive, but trust me, they are WORTH it!! And get refitted every 6 months just to make sure your size hasn't changed and try every bra you buy on. Bras fit differently, boobs are shaped differently - some will just not work others you'll want two of!

ditto this ^ unless you've got implants that stand up on their own, VS bras won't work. I get fitted at Nordy's and pay a grip for my bras, but .... you do what you gotta do. i hate my big boobs bc of the exact reason you posted this thread. :(

I disagree to a point! You can get bras a VS, but no not if you are above a DD. I have TONS of bras from VS for my DDs and they are amazing! I'm not saying it's for everyone, but they do work....well maybe it works for those that like their big boobs. lol. I dont know. But they do have full coverage ones that I like!

VS never worked well for me. I was a DD before I had my daughter. They never seemed to be supportive enough. It always seemed like they just sized up an A cup. The physics are different for bigger boobs.

I've discovered Layne Bryant's bras. I really like them. I think the smallest band size they have is a 36 or 38, can't remember. But if that's you and you have big boobs you should check them out, even if everything else in the store is too big for you. They also carry some G and F cups in store.

The right supportive bra can make you look 10lbs lighter.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    You can't expect a "chain" store to help you get fitted or even know how and you certainly can't expect to do it yourself. You need to go somewhere that basically specializes in that. A store that only sells bras, not just a clothing store. The people that work in specialty shops were trained to help you find the exact fit and size for you.

I agree with this except... Nordstrom's is a chain. Their lingerie saleswomen (and they're always women) are specially trained in bra fitting before being assigned to that department.
    I agree. I nor my daughter have had a bad fitting at Nordstrom's yet.
  • p_cakes
    p_cakes Posts: 282
    Options
    You can't expect a "chain" store to help you get fitted or even know how and you certainly can't expect to do it yourself. You need to go somewhere that basically specializes in that. A store that only sells bras, not just a clothing store. The people that work in specialty shops were trained to help you find the exact fit and size for you.

I agree with this except... Nordstrom's is a chain. Their lingerie saleswomen (and they're always women) are specially trained in bra fitting before being assigned to that department.

I'd LOVE to go there to get it done, but I think the closest one is maybe 5 hours away...no joke..they are building one a bit closer, only 2.5 hours away...
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options

I'd LOVE to go there to get it done, but I think the closest one is maybe 5 hours away...no joke..they are building one a bit closer, only 2.5 hours away...

It's worth it... make it a day trip or a weekend. I'm going bra shopping in the next couple of months and the whole family is loading up for a drive & ferry ride over to Seattle (I'm in Port Angeles) and one of the planned stops is Nordstroms. I won't buy a bra anywhere else anymore. Even Bali stores (and I like their bras) don't always have appropriately trained staff for fittings.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a "curvy" woman.

RoadDog - you always have the best comments!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about proper bra fitting.

I did a "do it yourself what not to wear" in Chicago a few years back, and that was the first store that my fashion consultant took me to. It took about 10 pounds off my look -- without having to lose a pound. I couldn't believe the difference!

I am planning on going back for my next bra change.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Naw, being fat makes me look fat. Lol.
  • barb2465
    barb2465 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am thinking that you do. I have lost weight but because my boobs are the same I still tend to wear the same shirts and they hang off my boobs and fall to my bum area so the loss from my stomach isn't as noticeable as it could be. I don't want to buy new clothes til i loose all the weight I have to so I am sorta 'stuck' looking the same
  • milkaholic
    milkaholic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!! I Love Bravissimo!! I'm 5'8" and when I was a size 2 i had massive girls for my frame, when i got bigger they got slightly bigger to a point where I'm at a 34 JJ.. having the right bra makes all the difference! If they sit too low then you can't see where you are losing weight the most, your waist! Bigger breasts absolutely make you look bigger but if you can get the right coverage and lift then they won't look as big as they are... GOOD LUCK!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I think they definitely can. It is harder to find clothes that fit and accentuate the smaller parts of your body when your boobs are bigger. I also find that if they don't shrink (which, mine really haven't... I went way down in band size, but up in cup size, though I'm starting to think that I've lost a little bit of them for the first time since I started this journey!), it might be harder to get down to the weight that you want to be at. When I told my friends who were gushing over my weight loss that I still want to lose another 15-20 lbs., the first thing they did was point to my boobs and say no way can I lose that much more, and that's where all the extra weight is! LOL :wink:

I don't have a great bra at the moment, but I do find that my sports bra is pretty good, even though I only wear it to workout, I find that when I put it on and then put my clothes on, my torso/stomach looks so much longer and flatter! I'm planning on going to Intimacy to get fitted and hopefully get a bra as a gift for myself for getting my MA when my mom comes out to visit me in May. I'm so looking forward to that!
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hmmm,for me it makes my waist and hips look smaller,but my shoulders and upper chest look bigger.IDK so crazy

Same here...I'm 34E and I think they make my waist look smaller....but I have chunky arms so can look a bit top heavy!
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yep. And now I am at my goal which is a very good weight for my height I look so top heavy as they have only just started getting smaller.

It is true that they are the last to go down in size. I have lost back size but only a little in cup size.

Going to head to Bravissimo in a couple of months for a new fitting. Its amazing what a perfect fitting bra does to your figure.
  • bahrainbel_2
    Options
    yeah, I think they can. I would rather have larger than smaller though, I have massive hips and need to be balanced out. I'd rather have boobs than be a pear shape :)
  • Sallerina84
    Options
    yeah, I think they can. I would rather have larger than smaller though, I have massive hips and need to be balanced out. I'd rather have boobs than be a pear shape :)

same here! they're not such a bad thing, I quite like mine haha
  • missjensa
    Options
    I was refitted at VS after my 50lb weight loss. My body fat is at 19% now so I dont think it'll even go down much more when I lose my extra 10/15lbs. Yeah I've been a DD since 6th grade. :cry:

i was busting outta a DD as well when i was in 6th grade, so i had a breast reduction at 16 that insurance paid for cuz the dr deemed it necessary. when i went back to school ppl thought i had lost weight in my waist before they even realized my boobs were smaller lol. of course now after two kids and weight gain im back in a dd

I had a breast reduction at 16 too - deemed medically necessary because my shoulders are really small and I was having back problems.....this was in 1996. I honestly feel that things have improved ALOT since then for busty girls - when I was a teenager in the 90's swimwear and bra shopping usually ended in tears. There were just so few options above even a C/D and what there was looked like some kind of strapping! Now there are are great (and pretty!) bras in virtually all sizes. Freya & Fantasie probably do my favourites. In the UK we have stores like Bravissimo that will measure you properly and have loads of options. I also feel like the sizes have shifted over the years since I had my reduction as the avarge cup size has gone up and overall women are getting bustier. And since the wider range of sizes being available has become the norm.

I wear a 34E, and they don't vary much even when I lose weight. My sister is the same - she did very serious rowing (at Oxford) and is in the army - and even at the height of her training, having very lo body fat etc she still had boobs, when all the other girls she trained with had virtually lost theirs! It must be genetic :)

Agree that is very important to dress for your figure - I also favour fitted a line dresses that flare out slightly, which accentuates my waist and shows off my shape. And belted tops. Never wear anything loose that hangs from the bust - they just end up looking like a shelf :)
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    WOW so many responses that I cant read through them all to see if this has already been said but...

as you lose weight the fat in your breast will also reduce. I was a 38G after giving birth and my boobs have now shrunk to a 34D. I think they only shrunk rapidly the nearer I got to my first goal as well.

In the past when I have dropped 10lbs or so the weight has also come off my boobs.

I would say keep doing what you are doing and they will shrink down a bit so u will look a bit thinner
  • Sallerina84
    Options
    Agree that is very important to dress for your figure - I also favour fitted a line dresses that flare out slightly, which accentuates my waist and shows off my shape. And belted tops. Never wear anything loose that hangs from the bust - they just end up looking like a shelf :)

definitely agree! loose tops are a no no for me too! make me look like a whale! I always get tops that come in at the waist.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I always thought they made you look smaller? For me, having a bigger bust makes your tummy look thinner by comparison.
    I have a 34D with a 28.5 inch waist, so on my bloaty days, I thank my boobies. :P
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    As a newly boob-challenged woman thanks to weight loss, I think boobs make you look sexy, not fat! Sure, there is a balance. My mom is something beyond a DD and an hourglass, I am always teaching her she can't wear loose shirts. However, sometimes she looks like Pamela Anderson, so it's a balance but one I would like to tackle. Just make me a Full C or D again and I'll be pleased :bigsmile: