Beginners 30 Day Shred Challenge starts 4/17--CLOSED

Options

Replies

• dneil1
    dneil1 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello,

Sorry its alittle late, It was my sons 2nd Birthday yesterday and we didnt get back until late....

All though I havent got my dvd yet Ive done another one that has killed me!!!

My measurements:
    Tummy:31 1/2
    Hips: 37
    L.Thigh: 22
    R.Thigh: 22
    L.Arm: 11 1/2
    R.Arm: 12

Good Luck everyone. X
  • wanna_be_fit
    wanna_be_fit Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    Okay, 2 days down, only 28 to go!! I'm hoping that I'll have a bigger calorie burn when we get to levels 2 and 3. I tried to up my intensity and I used 8 pound weights on everything but the side lunge/anterior raise things, and I could only manage 5 pounds there. Despite that I only burned 188 calories on my heart rate monitor. Oh well, I guess I just need to trust that Jillian knows what she's doing!!!!

Keep doing a great job ladies!!!
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Sorry I'm a day late. I'm a graduate student and sometimes my schedule gets unexpectedly chaotic. I have some bad news. After trying the 30 day shred yesterday, I'm having some serious knee pain. I've consulted with my orthopedic and he said the video may be too high impact for me as of now. In short, my knee caps dislocate easily (even after surgery) and being unstable (i.e., jumping around) puts me at risk for another dislocation. Therefore, I'm not going to complete the 30 days. I'm quite disappointed. I was really looking forward to seeing results quickly. Oh well, back to the elliptical and walk-away-the-pounds for me.

I apologize for taking someone's slot on this adventure. I really did not anticipate having this much difficulty.

I wish you all the very best!!
  • wanna_be_fit
    Options
    Hi all!

Sorry I'm a day late. I'm a graduate student and sometimes my schedule gets unexpectedly chaotic. I have some bad news. After trying the 30 day shred yesterday, I'm having some serious knee pain. I've consulted with my orthopedic and he said the video may be too high impact for me as of now. In short, my knee caps dislocate easily (even after surgery) and being unstable (i.e., jumping around) puts me at risk for another dislocation. Therefore, I'm not going to complete the 30 days. I'm quite disappointed. I was really looking forward to seeing results quickly. Oh well, back to the elliptical and walk-away-the-pounds for me.

I apologize for taking someone's slot on this adventure. I really did not anticipate having this much difficulty.

I wish you all the very best!!

No worries--you have to do what is best for your body! Take care and keep moving it on the elliptical!!! :smile:
  • want_it_25
    want_it_25 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's going on Day 3 and I am feeling sore but good. I have to moderate the side lunges but other than that I am loving this workout. Go Shredders!!!!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Okay, 2 days down, only 28 to go!! I'm hoping that I'll have a bigger calorie burn when we get to levels 2 and 3. I tried to up my intensity and I used 8 pound weights on everything but the side lunge/anterior raise things, and I could only manage 5 pounds there. Despite that I only burned 188 calories on my heart rate monitor. Oh well, I guess I just need to trust that Jillian knows what she's doing!!!!

Keep doing a great job ladies!!!

Hmmm...maybe I shoudl lower my estimate. I was estimating 180 calories for Level 1. I need to get a HRM. But Jillian says it's like "putting in hours at the gym"!

I'm going to go for a run tonight after I shread. Get a couple miles in and burn some extra calories. I'm still sore, but not more than yesterday. I found my other 5 pound dumbell and it was much better with the 5 pounds. I have trouble with the front shoulder raises too. I had to alternate on a few of them to give my arms a break. And I am nowhere near doing all the pushups in "boy" style. I got 12 the first set and I think about 7 the second. I'll get there! Good job everyone!
  • wanna_be_fit
    Options
    Day 3 of the Shred complete, plus 15 minutes on the elliptical. Only 27 days to go!!! :smile: I'm a little sore, but not too bad. I was doing the girl pushups which were pretty hard, but maybe I'll throw in a few of the real pushups tomorrow.

Yep, Ashley, I would recommend a HRM. I think that the Shred is a great adjunct to other cardio, but I wonder if it is enough on it's own? I guess it also depends on how much you like to eat/drink because I sure enjoy having 500 extra calories to play with when I burn that many. I wonder if we are really good on the eating if that will make up for the lack of calories burned? I am definitely going to try to burn at least 150 calories in addition to whatever I burn with the Shred on most days.

Keep it going ladies, we are rocking!!!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because I'm a super-chub, but my hrm is giving me a HUGE calorie burn doing this...I haven't done it today yet (not feeling well so I slept in until I HAD to get ready for work), but Sunday and Yesterday were both between 300-350 for 5 minute jog in place then the 20 minute circuit she puts us through....crazy!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Alright...that's it! I'm getting a HRM. Can someone recommend one? Heather I know you told me about one once but I deleted that email. Nothing too expensive. Thanks chicks!

300-350 calories is awesome!
  • dayzeerock
    Options
  • dayzeerock
    Options
    Alright...that's it! I'm getting a HRM. Can someone recommend one? Heather I know you told me about one once but I deleted that email. Nothing too expensive. Thanks chicks!

300-350 calories is awesome!

Mine is a BodyBugg....I know they are expensive at like, a couple hundred dollars. Our hospital that I work for gets them super cheap as an incentive to get employees to wear and use them, so I only paid $30 out of pocket for mine. It's supposedly one of the best though, and is highly accurate.
  • wanna_be_fit
    Options
    The HRM that I use is the Polar RS100 Heart Rate Monitor and Stopwatch. It's on Amazon for about $100 now, but I got it on sale in the $80 range. I did my research on consumer reports and other review websites and it got great ratings, and I love it.

@ Dayzeerock--superchub, really?! You are too funny! Hope you're feeling better. I know that the HRM calculates calories burned based upon weight and heart rate. I will say that the first time I ever did the Shred a few months back (just did it once and didn't go on with it) I burned a lot more calories. But that was before I started running, so I wasn't in as good shape cardiovascularly and my heart rate was definitely more elevated, and I remember burning around 230 calories during one session. Now my HR is generally staying much lower and averages 125 throughout the session, though I can get it up to the 150's for some of the moves.

@Ashley--super jealous of the run. My hip is still jacked up. Going for an MRI sometime in the next week or so. :frown:
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Day 3 + 40 min. of elliptical ...complete!!
  • moxleymama6
    Options
    Dayzee a body bugg...so jealous! I'm asking for an hrm for mother's day!
  • moxleymama6
    Options
    Heather I hope everything goes well with your mri!
  • wanna_be_fit
    Options

Thanks!! I appreciate it! It is such a bummer--when I finally start to enjoy running I injure myself and can't run anymore--go figure! At least I can still do the Shred. The only move that bothers me is the running in place kicking your butt, so I just substitute jump rope or jumping jacks instead. Hopefully Level 2 won't have too many things I can't do!
  • afasnacht
    afasnacht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Has anyone weighed themselves since starting? Everytime I get on the scale, it seems higher and I've been under my calorie goal and NOT eating my exercise calories! Could it be due to the strength training?? I haven't done strength training in awhile! I'm praying that's what it is! If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options

Thanks!! I appreciate it! It is such a bummer--when I finally start to enjoy running I injure myself and can't run anymore--go figure! At least I can still do the Shred. The only move that bothers me is the running in place kicking your butt, so I just substitute jump rope or jumping jacks instead. Hopefully Level 2 won't have too many things I can't do!

When I do butt kicks, my right knee/shin/ankle/something pops every time I hit the ground. It doesn't hurt, so I keep at it.

I think my arm soreness has subsided, but my shins felt tight on the way down the stairs this morning.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Has anyone weighed themselves since starting? Everytime I get on the scale, it seems higher and I've been under my calorie goal and NOT eating my exercise calories! Could it be due to the strength training?? I haven't done strength training in awhile! I'm praying that's what it is! If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have not weighed yet. I try to only weigh once a week which is tomorrow for me. I'll let you all know how that goes. It is TOM so we'll see if that affects me. I have been losing VERY slowly...like averaging 0.3 lb. a week.
  • wanna_be_fit
    Options
    Day 4 down, 26 days to go!!!

So today I was able to do 16 boy pushups during the first set of pushups, but couldn't do the second set. Still, that's a victory for me. I burned right at 200 calories doing Shred today, plus burned 325 doing 30 minutes elliptical--had to get in a bigger burn because I'm going out to dinner for my anniversary tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well!! :happy: