Women shouldn't lift weights - they will get too bulky

Options
124»

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Myth: Drinking breast milk will build muscle.

(while I was breastfeeding my son I was offered money for breastmilk by some "weightlifters" who were certain it was going to help them build faster)

Seriously? I have never heard of this one.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many kitties I've killed?

:laugh:
  • Heather75
    Options
    I wonder how many kitties I've killed?

None. It's a myth, fortunately for the cat population of the world... ;)
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's healthier to use fat free dressing!

If you want a billion grams of sugar and lots of artificial...stuff.
    Gimme that EVOO! :heart:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Myth: Drinking breast milk will build muscle.

(while I was breastfeeding my son I was offered money for breastmilk by some "weightlifters" who were certain it was going to help them build faster)

Wow, i'd have taken the money! milk donation centres (donated not sold!) don't want your breast milk after so many months post natal and I had a HUGE abundance!

Talking of which breast milk cost the NHS £100 a litre if they run out of donated supplies...if you got some spare and your little one is very young consider donating
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Regarding "Starvation Mode" the truth is badly misrepresented. Kind of like the myth
    about sort of working out a little and having the additional five pounds be "muscle weight"

It doesn't and can't happen over the course of one day or even several days. That part is a myth. Nobody reading
    this probably has any chance of getting anywhere near starvation mode. It just ain't gong to happen folks, throw that myth out.

In general, for probably everyone reading this, starvation mode is a myth, it does
    not in any way apply to what we are trying to do. It really is not within any of
    our capacity to get to starvation mode.

"Calorie Restricted Diets

The body's number-one priority is to obtain sufficient energy to carry on vital functions such as circulation, respiration and digestion. Therefore, in the absence of adquate dietary carbohydrates, protein, and fat calories, the body will break down not only dietary protein but protein in the blood, liver, pancreas, muscles, and other tissues in order to maintain vital organs and functions."

A person whose BMR is say, 1350 calories (based on their current weight and body fat percentage), and whose regular daily activity level burns another 532 calories, needs a daily minimum of 1882 calories. That's just to do daily activities and perform normal bodily functions without breaking down muscle for energy. If that same person burns 652 on a treadmill, but in an effort to lose weight decides they're only going to eat 200 of those calories back, their body is at a 452 calorie deficit. So, in the course of a day, in order to carry on necessary bodily functions, their body will break down muscle (so hard-won on the treadmill!) to make up those calories.

This is "starvation mode." The body is literally starved for macronutrients so it eats itself. It doesn't mean emaciation. The body won't eat fat because it's too labor-intensive to do so. Eating muscle is easier. It means that a person's muscles aren't getting what they need to build and boost the metabolism. This is one of the reasons that a calorie-restricted diet actually lowers the metabolism! More muscle means a higher metabolism. This is why body-builders, weight-lifters, and professional athletes consume so much food ; they have so much muscle! They feed their muscle, give it the nutrients it needs to grow, and when it does, their metabolism increases.

I hope this clears things up.

So whatever you call it, starvation mode is not a myth.

Quoted text from Fitness: The Complete Guide, Official Text for ISSA's Certified Fitness Trainer Program. Fredrick C. Hatfield, Ph.D, 2010, Carpinteria, CA.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Wow, Dr. Hatfield is still at it in 2010. Dr. Squat. Biggest squat in history at one point.
    A legendary Power lifter.

I'm not going to directly say that his organization is junk. I think that there are more
    recent, and perhaps less "motivated" researchers looking at metabolism and obesity.

I *CAN* guarantee, without any research at all, the Dr. Squat had never appeared in the "Clinical
    Journal of Obesity" or any other purely research originated organization. I'm guessing
    his organization is not accredited by anyone but himself.

Here is just one of the current research journals on metabolism and the such
    The International Journal of Obesity: http://www.nature.com/ijo/index.html

BTW: Dr. Hatfield the man behind the info you posted has a doctorate in Philosophy.
    And he is one of the best power lifters of all time.

"Starvation Mode" is still a Myth for all of us well fed/obese industrialized world people. Like me.
    :wink:
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Here is PDF of the 2009 "Position of the American Dietetic Association: Weight Management"

http://tinyurl.com/3gqrg7j

They define a starvation diet as "between 0 and 200 calories a day."

Starvation mode comes when famine victims spend a couple of weeks at sub-200cal days.

Not that they are any less biased then Dr. Squat, but Weight Watchers has a piece on the "Starvation Mode" myth.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

A quote: "While there is no biologic evidence to support the "starvation mode" myth, there may
    be behavioral reasons why weight loss stops when calories are severely reduced."

They are using "starvation mode" in the loose industrialized western obesity way. Because clearly
    there IS a starvation mode. It is tragic and horrible to see when abject deprivation brings it on.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    That some people just won't go below a certain weight
  • Heather75
    Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but muscle weighs more than fat.
  • stark23x
    stark23x Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but muscle weighs more than fat.

50% of all comedy is timing. well played. :)
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Being skinny autommatically means a person is healthy.