Oatmeal - How long does it take to get used to it???

Options
12346»

Replies

• monicasimon
    Options
    Get the steel cut oatmeal - you can find it at Costco or Whole foods - it's Organic and its texture is very different than that of the rolled oatmeal's. When you boil it, you can add a pinch of salt, cinnamon, and whatever else you'd like. I usually don't add any sugar to it, but add some fresh fruit (e.g. blackberries) when I eat it.
    I love it this way - and it's good for my heart, too! :-)
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    lots of good ideas......I am bumping!
  • Ckirk1982
    Ckirk1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been eating oatmeal almost every morning for a over a month now, I usually make mine with 1% milk, 1/2 cup of oatmeal. I also add flax seed (ground) to it as well. Typically it will run between 250 to 300 calories which isn't bad for a breakfast that will fill you up.

I've also added raisins, sliced fresh strawberries and walnuts...but you can add sliced almonds or the nut of your choice. The most important thing if your planning on eating it on a consistant basis is to try and change it up, make it a little different each morning or each week, just to give yourself some variety,

The raisins, nuts, strawberries add extra calories....but their good calories ;-) enojoy!
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    Everyone had great ideas. I've always loved oatmeal, but naturally I loved it with a ton of brown sugar and butter on top-lol. I've been eating it with about a tablespoon of brown sugar mixed with the milk it gets cooked in and maple syrup and nuts on top. I got so many new ideas from this post that I had to try. I tried it with a tablespoon of pb and it was good. I just now made some with 1T of splenda (I'm new to sugar substitutes) mixed with my milk as it is heating and topped with1T of coffeemate carmel latte creamer and a few walnuts...YUM! I can't wait to try it with hazlenut creamer!

Next I want to try a few other ideas I found. I need to try splenda brown sugar blend. I need to try it with a tablespoon of Nutella:love: . I also want to try it with yogurt and berries. So many options!!! Thanks everyone, and I've never thought about making a big batch and heating it up...great idea!
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    With all this oatmeal discussion I made savory oatmeal for dinner!
    1/2 cup oats
    3/4 cup water
    1 tsp spinach/herb seasoning
    3/4 oz goat cheese
    1/4 cup peas
    1/2 cup shredded carrots
    2 diced peppadew peppers

SO good! :d

I also have a recipe for a savory oatmeal, but never tried it even though it sounded good...your recipe sounds better though:)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Forcing yourself to eat something you hate is not a good start. Healthy eating is not a punishment. Don't eat it anymore!!

I agree, whole oats (not the instant type) are a good source of fiber but if you don't care for them, it's OK, you'll find other foods that you'll enjoy. You don't have to love oatmeal.

I enjoy it plain (mixed with water), sometimes I add in a Tablespoon of PB for protein, sometimes raisins. I typically eat it in the Winter and cold cereal in the warmer months.

Find a food you enjoy that is healthy for breakfast and you'll have an easier time looking forward to getting breakfast in.:smile:
  • losebyaug
    Options
    I like the maple and brown sugar kind. And I like mine a little watery. Is that gross?! lol I also add chopped pecans. YUM!
  • jegrillo
    jegrillo Posts: 5
    Options
    There are tons of other healthy choices out there that you should be able to find some foods that you enjoy. Don't force yourself to eat something you don't like just for the sake of dieting and losing weight. You're setting yourself up for failure, and no one here wants to see that happen. I don't like oatmeal so I don't eat it, plain and simple. Don't think "I'm on a diet, so these are all the things I can't have.", think "I'm on a diet, so these are all the things that I enjoy that I can."

Best wishes and all the success for you!
  • jamieyuen
    Options
    I like my instant oatmeal packets (100 calories) + fat free milk (90 calories) + a tsp of brown sugar (10 calories). = 200 calorie breakfast.

Add cranberries or a spoonful of vanilla granola and it's a treat :)

I also like eating my breakfast with a banana. 300 calories for the morning is a good start!

I forgot to mention that I use half milk half water. I don't taste the difference. :)