p90x Support Group

Options

Replies

• kamoi
    kamoi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    btw vickie have you tried eating a banana before you workout to get more muscle cramp fighting potassium, magnesium, calcium and zinc in your system? A shortage of any of these nutrients in your body can cause your muscles to contract and cause spasms in your foot.
  • minniebee
    minniebee Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm finishing up my first week and have to say... I AM SO SORE! Do you usually stretch out more than just what is on the DVD's? Or do you stick with what they do, and eventually your muscles catch up to the program?
  • elizabennett
    Options
    Hey guys. I got my yoga in today but I was just NOT into it. I haven't felt like this for a while, but maybe it's because I'm getting sick. But I did it and I am glad I did.

Smiles: I know several people have answered, but I log everything in as cardio. I am also TRYING to do doubles, so on my strength training days I do a cardio workout too, but I don't really do Cardio X. I didn't make it with the extra cardio yesterday though.

Vickie: No idea about your foot, but hopefully some of the suggestions help and it gets better soon!

Minniebee: I don't stretch after, but I always try to get the X Stretch in on my rest day and I'm not too sore, for the most part. Hope that helps!

My SIL started a blog about my nephew in case anyone is wondering what's going on. it's hard to read, but very beautiful, if any of you are interested. http://www.littlechasesbigheart.blogspot.com/
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Kamoi thanks! It is 10:15 here for me right now. I work out right after work and I didn't read you post until now. When I got home I was starving!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I had a banana and some skim milk! Guess what - NO foot cramps!!!! Yes, I hope that it will be that simple!

Tonight I did Kenpo X and I really love it. Can't wait until I know it better! This was my second time tonight! I was suppose to do Yoga but I just didn't want to! I'd rather run or kick butt! LOL

I am doing my own diet keeping it between 1200-1600 calories and have dropped 5.8 pounds in two weeks! I am pretty excited about that!

Lets get this done and Bring it! :flowerforyou:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    Boo. I unfortunately did not wake up in the time to do my third day. I actually did wake up in time, but my legs, arms, back, abs are so sore, I did not want to get out of bed. Do I want to power through and make my body ridiculously sore? Or is it more beneficial to let my body recoup for a few days by just going for a brisk walk to keep active?

My second question for ya'll is, how do you keep up with the diet plan? I read through the menu/diet plan, but I'm sorry, it seems way too time consuming. I know everything requires effort, but this seems like way too much work. With a busy schedule, I try my best to eat healthy, but I don't have time to cook a different healthy meal 7 evenings a week, plus breakfast foods. any tips?
    If your ridiculously sore body is muscle soreness and not the result of an injury, I think you should power through and do your best on each workout. It may actually help with the stiffness and soreness.

About the diet plan, I think the most practical way to handle that is to use MFP and the food diary. If you want to use a certain phase of P90X, you can change your macronutrient percentages on MFP to match which phase you want to follow. The important thing, I think, is to come up with a food plan that fits your lifestyle. Eat the foods you like that fit into your goals, and make adjustments when it comes to the foods you like that don't fit with what you're trying to accomplish.

Good luck! It all gets easier and feels more like second nature the longer you do it, but you don't need to make it any harder than necessary. :smile:
  • groovymint
    groovymint Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I'm day 7 of my first round!
  • PJilly
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I have a question about logging the exercise. I realized that I have been logging EVERYTHING as cardio because i can then enter the specific calorie burn from the HRM. I consider these my "exercise calories" and on a typical day, I eat them back.

However, if I'm recording workouts like arms/shoulders and legs/back as "cardio", and that's my only workout for the day, then this means that a lot of the time, I'm not actually doing cardio.... right? And if my biggest goal right now is to shed the last layers of belly fat, then I really need to make sure I'm getting the cardio in, in addition to these strengthening workouts.... (am I on the right track or off base?) I'm starting to feel very confused.

So.... I'm considering only logging the calorie burn from Plyo and Kenpo, and then aiming for more cardio (walking, running, elliptical, zumba, etc.) in addition to the daily P90 X workouts. Is this a solid plan?

I think I need help. I'm seriously feeling burned out and I think it's because I need a better plan.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate ideas and suggestions. :)
    Personally, I don't log any of it. I've allowed for my exercise in my daily calories (2,100), so I set my goal for that and don't mess with logging my exercise. I know some workouts burn more than others, but it averages out over the week.
  • PJilly
    Options
    Hey guys -

I am just having a bad week for P90X. I took 2 weeks off for recovery because of my race and I cannot seem to get back into it.
    Was all excited to do Chest and Back on Monday and threw my back out in the morning so I was afraid to chance it. I had to run on Tuesday night and pushed it so hard that I had nothing left for the P90X. Yesterday I had a su[per busy day, left the house at 7am and got home at 11pm ... and now today I realize that my class that I am teaching starts today ... and I wont be home until 10pm or later tonight...

So what should I do .... how should I handle the rest of this week?
    I have to get a 5 mile run in on Saturday ...
    So I was thinking Chest and Back tonight - Yoga X on Friday - Arms and Shoulders on Saturday after running and Legs and Back on Sunday morning -- but if I do that it will screw up my routine for next week ...

Smiles: I agree with the other poster. I do not follow the diet plan ... I follow MFP and BMF. I do also log my P90X calories as cardio... but I dont get nearly as high of a burn as some people get. I get about 300 calories or so per workout and this is per the Body Media Fit ... so I think its pretty accurate!
    Sorry you're having a bad week. I'm not sure what you should do, but I wouldn't worry as much about screwing up the routine as I would about being sure to get some kind of activity in on most days. If you can get back on the P90X schedule, that's great, but sometimes life doesn't always cooperate and you just have to do the best you can. I hope things calm down soon!
  • Shawneea
    Shawneea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my first round of P90X Yoga... It kicked my butt! That was the hardest for me this whole week. Was it that hard for anyone else?
  • PJilly
    Options
    Hey guys is anyone here a p90x grad? I did the X 5x attempted and got bored and gained a lot of weight so I'm trying a new hybrid and could use support.
    I've done three rounds, and I understand what you mean about getting bored. I'm stubborn enough that I finished two of them anyway (my dad got sick and passed away during my second round, so that one was messed up). This time, though, I decided to do a mini-round of 35 days (five weeks, including one for recovery). Then I'll do five weeks of a more cardio-based program. Then the plan is to do another mini-round of P90X. I'm not suggesting that's the program for you, but I am suggesting that you might want to decide what program is best for you, being realistic and honest with yourself, and then stick to it. The motivation almost always wears out before you get through. The key is to realize that and decide before that happens what you will do when it does. I'd suggest sticking to the program. :tongue:
  • PJilly
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm finishing up my first week and have to say... I AM SO SORE! Do you usually stretch out more than just what is on the DVD's? Or do you stick with what they do, and eventually your muscles catch up to the program?
    :bigsmile: The soreness for me is always worst the first week. I don't do extra stretching, but as long as you're warmed up, I don't see any harm in it. I think you'll find the soreness will start going away soon either way. Hang in there!
  • PJilly
    Options
    My SIL started a blog about my nephew in case anyone is wondering what's going on. it's hard to read, but very beautiful, if any of you are interested. http://www.littlechasesbigheart.blogspot.com/
    That is beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. I can't stop the tears from flowing. Much love to Chase and all of you. He has a very special mommy. :heart:
  • mikbsirhc
    mikbsirhc Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I will try to power through and stay consistent. This board is helping a lot in realizing there are so many other people doing it too!

Chris
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I've been doing P90X Classic for almost a month now, I'm on my recovery week and I'm very anxious to get back to the lifting parts.....I feel like I'm slacking!! LOL

So far I LOVE IT!! I've added some cardio in because I'm training for the Ragner NW Relay race coming up in July.

I've noticed a big difference from day 1, and so far I'm loving the results! Days 30-60 are going to be tough because I have a 15 day vacation cross country coming up, but I'm going to try and push play as much as possible. I'm thinking I'll use the bands for as much of the exercises that I can, because I'm not loading my 8 pound weights in my suitcase......I need all the clothing and shoes I can get before I hit the extra fee for baggage ;-P

Anyways, nice to be here!! :-)

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Recovery week, and I feel like I'm not working out this week because I'm not lifting any weights.

I mentioned this to smiles4miles recently, so rephrasing for those that are newer to P90x.

That feeling of accomplishment when you can do more reps on the 2nd week, and you feel stronger, not as sore, and you can feel your improvement as you do more moves in Yoga.

Magnify that feeling when you get to week 5-6.
    Just imagine how much more stronger, toned you will feel come week 13.

That's just round 1 being done in 90 days. There is nothing saying that we can't do round 2 for the following 90 days and continue improving.

Remember P90x is challenging to most. If it was easy, nobody would want to workout to it and benefit from it.
    We are NOT supposed to be able to finish every move right away, and we definitely get sore as we are awakening muscles that have not been used in a long time.

Do your best and forget the rest.
  • AngieMcHenry
    AngieMcHenry Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I started it on Monday of this week and although I love it, I have been concerned that I wouldn't be able to keep it up because of the intensity of it. You made me feel better.
  • AngieMcHenry
    Options
  • AngieMcHenry
    Options
    This is the first day since Tuesday that I can walk without looking like a 90 year old woman. I am sure glad everyone says that it gets easier as you go along.
  • VickieMW
    Options
    I did Legs and back tonight at the gym. I like going to the gym and doing this exercise because there is an assisted pull up bar to do my pull ups and chin ups. Just can't do the close hand pull ups on it! It was really weird doing all the leg exercises there. I need to learn them better! Everyone have a great weekend! Tomorrow is X Stretch!
  • PJilly
    Options
    I was scheduled to do Legs & Back and ARX today, but I had a crazy schedule and felt really off, so I decided to take Sunday's rest day early. That means I'll have to work out Sunday now, but I think it was a wise decision. Time will tell...

Goodnight, everyone. Sweet dreams.
  • VickieMW
    Options
    Sounds smart to me Jill! Listening to your body! It will let us know. :flowerforyou: