Dropping pounds with inspiring pals [CLOSED GROUP]

Options

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    @chrystal559 - Maybe you should look at you budget and see about hiring someone to come in once-twice a week, like a nurse, or heck even just a babysitter. I know that sounds bad, and I know money can be tight, but sometimes people just need that time more than they need the money. Maybe if you and your husband have a chance to go out for a few hours all alone without having to worry, or hurry back etc it will help rejuvenate you to get through the rest of the week.

@TNAJackson - Do you watch how much protein your eating? You might not necessarily have to go full on low carb, but you could start cutting out some foods (like breads, pastas etc) and upping your protein.

@tesshaney Glad your back and renewed :)

@Learning2LoveMe - Oh ya...I would stay under your desk if need be lol.

@pinstripepirate - Rainy days always make me want to nap, so your not alone.

Wed. Whine: I'm really mad at time right now. I really think its out to get people. lol I know its all in our minds and our focus, but I hate how sometimes time will fly by really fast when you just want it to slow down....and then when you need something to be over it feels like eternity! Can you believe 2011 is almost HALF over? Where the hell did the last 4 months go? I feel like I'm in the movie CLICK when the remote starts fast forwarding through his life. I'm scared to blink, when I open my eyes again I might be in my 90's!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    So I got this off the Walgreens walking website (I log my walks on there and give the coupons to my mom lol). Even though its about getting in walking, I think it had a good message that we all struggle with.....and that's feeling guilty for taking time for ourselves.

Make "Guilt Free" Your Goal
    By Joan Lunden

One hurdle we must face when starting a walking program is guilt. We think taking time for ourselves is selfish and taking us away from the people we care about. It’s hard to set goals under those circumstances, but in order to succeed, we really must cure ourselves of the congenital urge to please everyone else and apologize for caring for ourselves.

If it’s the time away that’s bothering you, fear not – the great thing about walking is that you can get the people you care about involved – put the baby in a stroller, bring your significant other or children with you. I even asked my daughter to make a cool playlist to take with me! But when you cannot be with them, be kind to yourself and know that a little “me time” is perfectly healthy and necessary.

If you tend to your own wellness, you’ll be able to take care of all of the other things in your life much better. Learning about self-awareness and self-care can have an amazing impact on all aspects of your life. Your family will notice a difference as you begin to rearrange your schedule to include a little fitness and play into your life. In my case, my children will tell you that I have more patience and more energy and that I’m a lot more fun. It’s certainly hard to feel guilty when you’re feeling fit and healthy, right?

If you’re serious about your health, make your first goal to take a certain amount of time each week to walk without guilt. Soon any regret will wash away and be replaced with a healthy sense of wellbeing, and you’ll be ready to take on the world, because you took the time to take care of yourself.

Thanks for sharing this... I'm definately going to be referring back to this when I start feeling a little guilty about leaving the fiance at home.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Whiny Wednesday:
    So I quit my job last May so that I could do an internship for teaching, but I am really good friends with all my coworkers so they still invite me to all their little office functions. So I get a text from my friend saying there is a potluck on Friday and pizza chips and salad are already on the menu. I say, okay I will bring desert (wanted to try that pineapple cake recipe) and then I get a text back saying can you bring your pasta instead? You make it the best.
    I am thinking...of course it is good its horrible for you. I boil two boxes of tri-color pasta, add in three different colors of bell peppers (the only healthy thing about this) add two can of sliced black olives. Cover the whole thing in a bottle of Italian dressing and add a whole bag of six cheese Italian shredded on top....

Its really good but it will destroy my diet. So I text back okay I guess I'll bring it. The she sends me: LOL whatever you bring is fine be there at 12. So now I am facing a conundrum. Do I bring the pasta (which incidentally costs me about 20 dollars to make) or do I bring the cake?
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Whiny Wednesday:
    So I quit my job last May so that I could do an internship for teaching, but I am really good friends with all my coworkers so they still invite me to all their little office functions. So I get a text from my friend saying there is a potluck on Friday and pizza chips and salad are already on the menu. I say, okay I will bring desert (wanted to try that pineapple cake recipe) and then I get a text back saying can you bring your pasta instead? You make it the best.
    I am thinking...of course it is good its horrible for you. I boil two boxes of tri-color pasta, add in three different colors of bell peppers (the only healthy thing about this) add two can of sliced black olives. Cover the whole thing in a bottle of Italian dressing and add a whole bag of six cheese Italian shredded on top....

Its really good but it will destroy my diet. So I text back okay I guess I'll bring it. The she sends me: LOL whatever you bring is fine be there at 12. So now I am facing a conundrum. Do I bring the pasta (which incidentally costs me about 20 dollars to make) or do I bring the cake?

My take: If they really want to see you they really shouldn't care what you bring.... Do what is best for you...
    Maybe the pineapple desert will be the "new" best item you make. Think to yourself about how you brought a healthy snack!!!

Enjoy!!!
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Whiny Wednesday:

My take: If they really want to see you they really shouldn't care what you bring.... Do what is best for you...
    Maybe the pineapple desert will be the "new" best item you make. Think to yourself about how you brought a healthy snack!!!

Enjoy!!!

If the money and time aren't an issue, I would make both. Of course I enjoy baking and cooking and feeding people, so that is honestly what I would do. If you really don't want to bring both, then make the cake. I agree with Cobarlo... If people really want to see YOU, then they won't even notice if the pasta salad is there or not. You really should bring the cake because it's always good to know that there is something you can eat without breaking your diet. Like the article from Walgreens that Virgo posted, sometimes you just have to put yourself first!
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    OK... so... what do you do if you log food in and you eat it then within five min of eating it it comes back up? Do I delete all of it or only a portion of it?
  • sarahbear1981
    Options
    @ cobarlo: That is some great advice. I am pretty sure they won't care what I bring. At least I hope they didn't invite me just for the pasta salad. That's sort of what it felt like. It was just strange to realize how unhealthy I had been in the past and how my friends still are used to that girl that brings the 5000 calorie pasta salad.

@pinstripepirate: I think this is what I am going to do. I am going to attempt to make a healthy version of the pasta salad using whole wheat rotini, fat free Italian dressing and leaving the cheese on the side if they want some they can put it on themselves. Maybe they won't even notice the difference. I will also make the pineapple cake, because like you, I really do enjoy cooking for others.

Thanks for the great advice ladies!
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    OK... so... what do you do if you log food in and you eat it then within five min of eating it it comes back up? Do I delete all of it or only a portion of it?

Oh no - I hope you feel better..... I would leave it but I am not the authority on that... Feel better !!!!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've made that pineapple cake and I LOVE it!!!!!!!! I've made it for parties and get togehters and everyone loves it! Best thing, they don't know it's low cal until I tell them!

So in about 30 minutes I am using my lunch hour to go to the doctor and I am nervous! I have an IUD for birth control and it has to be changed out every 5 years. I remember clearly 5 years ago when I had the first one installed. I had horrible cramps immediately after and I am scared of what kind of pain i will have this time. good news is they went away within an hour and I don't have to think about BC for another 5 years. Still a lil scared though. Wish me luck!
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    I've made that pineapple cake and I LOVE it!!!!!!!! I've made it for parties and get togehters and everyone loves it! Best thing, they don't know it's low cal until I tell them!

So in about 30 minutes I am using my lunch hour to go to the doctor and I am nervous! I have an IUD for birth control and it has to be changed out every 5 years. I remember clearly 5 years ago when I had the first one installed. I had horrible cramps immediately after and I am scared of what kind of pain i will have this time. good news is they went away within an hour and I don't have to think about BC for another 5 years. Still a lil scared though. Wish me luck!

Good Luck Sweetie!!!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Options

Oh sorry to hear that! I would probably log half the food. I don't think its possible for all of it to come back up, but at the same time you didn't eat all of it if some of it came back up as well. Hope you feel better soon!

@Claudia - Good luck at the doctors!
  • chrystal559
    chrystal559 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    @chrystal559 - Maybe you should look at you budget and see about hiring someone to come in once-twice a week, like a nurse, or heck even just a babysitter. I know that sounds bad, and I know money can be tight, but sometimes people just need that time more than they need the money. Maybe if you and your husband have a chance to go out for a few hours all alone without having to worry, or hurry back etc it will help rejuvenate you to get through the rest of the week.

I would so get her a baby sitter but We dont have the money... right now we are bearly able to cover bills. I have my grandmother to watch er but I have to give her like a month in advance notice that we are going somewhere or she will say she is busy or give us all kinds of crap for it
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    @sarahbear1981 - I like the idea of making a "healthier" version. Honestly at gatherings anymore the only thing I can eat is whatever I bring (because then I know how many calories it has in it etc)

@naesue- I heard your body will already start breaking down and using most the calories in food right away, so to follow the "better safe than sorry" code, I log all of it, even if it didn't stay in my stomach.....

@chrystal559 - Find a high school kid lol. We pay my friends daughter $3 an hour. Child labor is awesome. lol I mean that way she's not alone, someone is there to make dinner, call 911 whatever the case but not super expensive.
  • chrystal559
    chrystal559 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    So today I went out and I had so many people notice me because of my pink hair and It acturaly felt good to get noticed. I wasn't hiding behing my weight I was being me and having fun. I love it. I am having so much fun with this. I am starting to feel like I notice a difference in my body and weight. I am enjoying it. I niticed that on my chest I can feel my collar bones and sternum. I like that. My aunt told me yesterday that she can tell that I am looking different because of the new photos I posted of my pink hair. She can notice the difference. I love it.
  • naesue
    Options
    For those of you that were concerned about me yesterday I am fine. I think it was a combination of the fact that what I ate for lunch was leftover home made pork fried rice and through the refridgeration process a lot of the oil was left on the outside of it so it was kind of greesy and the fact that I haven't taken my straterra in a long time and decided to take it yesterday and instead of taking the 18 mg I have I started right in with the 25 mg. But I am almost glad I did lose my lunch because dinner was horrible!!!!!! It was very tasty but a LOT of calories! Thankfully that is my last heavy meal for a while cause no more dinner guests and I will be doing the cooking. I already plan on making the portabella pizzas the chicken cordon blue and the pork skillet. They all sounded super yummy! I will post my inspiration in a seperate post as it is very long!!!
  • naesue
    Options
    An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'

1. Pray
    2. Go to bed on time.
    3. Get up on time so you can start the day unrushed.
    4. Say No to projects that won't fit into your time schedule, or that will compromise your mental health.
    5. Delegate tasks to capable others.
    6. Simplify and unclutter your life.
    7. Less is more. (Although one is often not enough, two are often too many.)
    8. Allow extra time to do things and to get to places.
    9. Pace yourself. Spread out big changes and difficult projects over time; don't lump the hard things all together.
    10. Take one day at a time.
    11. Separate worries from concerns . If a situation is a concern, find out what God would have you do and let go of the anxiety . If you can't do anything about a situation, forget it.
    12. Live within your budget; don't use credit cards for ordinary purchases.
    13.. Have backups; an extra car key in your wallet, an extra house key buried in the garden, extra stamps, etc.
    14. K.M.S. (Keep Mouth Shut). This single piece of advice can prevent an enormous amount of trouble.
    15. Do something for the Kid in You everyday.
    16. Carry a Bible with you to read while waiting in line.
    17. Get enough rest.
    18. Eat right.
    19 Get organized so everything has its place.
    20. Listen to a tape while driving that can help improve your quality of life.
    21. Write down thoughts and inspirations.
    22. Every day, find time to be alone.
    23. Having problems? Talk to God on the spot. Try to nip small problems in the bud. Don't wait until it's time to go to bed to try and pray..
    24. Make friends with Godly people.
    25. Keep a folder of favorite scriptures on hand.
    26. Remember that the shortest bridge between despair and hope is often a good 'Thank you Jesus .'
    27. Laugh.
    28. Laugh some more!
    29 Take your work seriously, but not yourself at all.
    30. Develop a forgiving attitude (most people are doing the best they can).
    31. Be kind to unkind people (they probably need it the most).
    32. Sit on your ego.
    33 Talk less; listen more.
    34. Slow down.
    35. Remind yourself that you are not the general manager of the universe.
    36 Every night before bed, think of one thing you're grateful for that you've never been grateful for before. GOD HAS A WAY OF TURNING THINGS AROUND FOR YOU.

'If God is for us, who can be against us?'
    (Romans 8:31)
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Options
    Thurs - Wow... where did this week go? Actually, where did the year go? I can't believe it's May already! My motivation is really ramping itself up on its own... I think knowing I only have 2 classes left after today is really kicking me into overdrive. I just want to say screw finals and go walk all day! But I can't do that... I really need good grades. I just hope it stays like this after school is done and all through summer. That would be awesome.
  • sarahbear1981
    Options
    Fitness Friday:
    Heading to the pool in a few. I hope I am going early enough to avoid Wee Willie Winkie :grumble:
    I feel like I am missing some strength training for my legs but I don't have a gym membership. I do have a weight bench but it is currently disassembled and in my shed. How important is strength training I wonder? I think I am still getting it in the pool because I am using fins and paddles, but I wonder if it is enough with just creating extra drag or resistance. I mean do I need to go somewhere and do some leg presses?

The other thing I am not sure about is whether or not I should add some core work. Should I be doing crunches? Is it even worth it?
  • naesue
    Options
    Fitness Friday:
    Heading to the pool in a few. I hope I am going early enough to avoid Wee Willie Winkie :grumble:
    I feel like I am missing some strength training for my legs but I don't have a gym membership. I do have a weight bench but it is currently disassembled and in my shed. How important is strength training I wonder? I think I am still getting it in the pool because I am using fins and paddles, but I wonder if it is enough with just creating extra drag or resistance. I mean do I need to go somewhere and do some leg presses?

The other thing I am not sure about is whether or not I should add some core work. Should I be doing crunches? Is it even worth it?
    While you are walking you can add some lunges which would help your legs and you could do some squats those are both really good for your legs and they are movements that your body requires to do ocassionally. Strengthening your core is a really good idea! Youre core is what holds your upper body up. the simplest way to strengthen your core is to concentrate on holding in your belly when you do every day things. Just tighten up your stomach muscles while sitting and driving or while walking or even while doing the elliptical. Hold it for counts of ten and let it go. By engaging those muscles during everyday things it makes them stronger and in the long run when you lose all your weight you will have toned muscles under there. Strength training also helps to build strong bones! I know you are young and aren't worried about osteo perosis but.... the stronger our bones are when we reach that age the less likely we are to have problems from it.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lots to catch up on this week--it's been crazy here, I haven't had time to do any online catching up. Fitness Friday--hubby and I are going to dinner and a movie tonight for date night, and I've decided we're going to walk. It'll be about 6 miles total, more if we go shopping afterwards, and I'm looking forward to that. Now off to read what is going on with everyone else. :smile: