Things I wish I knew when I started running.

Options

Replies

• Determined1980
    Options
    Thank you so much, this post was very helpful. I would like to think of myself as a runner and there are days when I just don't feel like it, but after reading your post and the post of many others on this site, it motivated me to keep at it and never give up. I have signed up for 4 marathons already this year & reading this has motivated me to train even harder and do my best no matter what! Thanks for posting!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I would like to think of myself as a runner ..... I have signed up for 4 marathons already this year & reading this has motivated me to train even harder and do my best no matter what! Thanks for posting!

If you've even thought about 4 marathons... = runner
  • artvandalay
    Options
    Thank you for this. I really enjoyed reading it. I am a new runner.. I have never done this before. I am going to finish Week 4 today of C25K.

I love reading stories like this because I am barely able to run 5 minutes straight. I cannot imagine running 35 or 40 minutes straight for a 5k. Stories like this inspire me.

Also I've been struggling with trying to find my pace and breathing. I run on a treadmill usually. I suppose finding my 'all day pace' will take some time.
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    I've been contemplating whether or not to "become" a runner for a little while now. Today I will go get fitted for good shoes and commit to running this evening. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    this was a great read, thank you for posting it...this is exactly what i needed to read as my first 5k is quickly approaching (in one week!)...hoping all my hard work will pay off!
  • LdyGeko
    LdyGeko Posts: 433
    Options
    So inspiring and such great information! It encourages me to try again - thank you! I'm marking this for future reference.....
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    I appreciate you taking the time to share this with all of us!

I just ran outside for the FIRST TIME yesterday. I say ran - funny, it was really the slowest jog I'm sure most people have witnessed!! For me, that was a huge accomplishment. I hope it gets easier to be the spectacle I feel I am when I'm out there in public... It certainly felt much more effective than running circles in my house!

Thanks for your post, I'm going to refer to it often as I continue my lil running journey :smile:

I understand this. My main reason for not wanting to run was I feel like an idiot with my jiggly but running down the road. I have to make myself ignore cars driving by. I just started "running" a few weeks ago and appreciate all the tips!
  • aablacknell
    aablacknell Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Thank U!!! Thank U!!! Thank U!!! I have been doing the C25K but I had to modify the schedule to fit me and my body needs. It has been a struggle. As soon as I think I am doing well I have days when I can just bearly hang on. It is nice to know I am not alone:blushing:.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Such a great post!! I agree whole heartedly with everything you said! I was 275 lbs when I started running and let me tell you..the first week of C25K was AWFUL! I couldn't finish it! So we repeated it again and again until I could do it. Glad I did. I run one 5K a month, and run 2 days a week (the other 4 are devoted to teaching Zumba). Great advice! Thanks for sharing! :bigsmile:
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    I DEFINITELY need to keep this for later reading! Thank you for posting!
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I haven't started running yet because I'm scared. This post gave me a little more confidence to start. Thank you.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    thanks! im getting back into it and need any advice/tips you have! lol
  • Calipalm
    Calipalm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love your hard work and dedication! Thank you for sharing this with us! I really appreciate it! :)
  • melrose09
    Options
    Inspiring and just what I needed right now. I have been feeling discouraged recently and reading this has made me feel like I CAN become an endurance athlete and not just a a strength athlete. I CAN DO THIS!
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    bump
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    bump to read later!!
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!

thank you so much for these tips. I used to run like it was nothing and then I gained weight and now I get so frustrated at my running pace and my goal is JUST to get to a 5K.

These tips are GREAT and thank you for helping me out. I want to quit so many times I can run for 15 minutes straight now and I hope tomorrow to run my first solid mile and a half but it is such a slow, frustrating process.

You're an inspiration! Thanks!
  • heatherterp
    Options
    bump