Most Backhanded Compliment Ever Received?

Options

Replies

• waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have one friend who seems to turn every compliment into an insult somehow. Here's one of her latest: "I thought you said you didn't care if you lost weight."
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Not weight-related, but the one that always stands out is: "I never knew you were smart!?"
    Always stands out?? More than one person has said that?? Sheesh...

Yup. It's been a constant in my life. Apparently wearing a beanie, a hooded sweater, and some baggy jeans is the equivalent of uneducated scum.

I think it's hot! :blushing:

:smooched:

I'd understand if I was flossin' like this:
    w220196109.jpg

... But I like to keep it simple. Hahaha.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Like if I tell someone or am talking about another girl that she looks cute and I can tell she lost weight, I hear people tell me, "but at least you have boobs" a lot from both guys and girls...

uh, thanks? so I'm fatter, but at least I have boobs ;)

Or when I was a chubby kid, I was told "but you have a pretty face."
    You know... right before the bullies pushed me in the mud and called me a fatty.

Or my mom: "You don't have big thighs, they are shapely."

one more: A friend I hadn't seen in many years told me I was looking a lot skinner - after I gained 20 pounds recently over the winter. I was thinking, wow... I must have been really heavy before. It did not make me feel good at all.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago an old friend of mine says, "I can really tell you've lost weight by looking at your face. You look like old Mikey, like when you were 13." Ok...thank you!

Last weekend during a holiday dinner my dad gets everyone's attention and says, "look at Mike over there...can you believe he's lost 30 pounds! Doesn't he look so much better? Hey Mike, how many inches have you lost off your waist again?" *queue awkward silence as no one at the table knew what to say*

Today I talked to my doctor about losing weight and what my goal weight should be. He just looked at me and said, "you might want to set smaller goals for yourself like 10-15 pounds and then see if you're ready to lose more." I know what he was trying to say, but it was like he was telling me I couldn't do it.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

I'd understand if I was flossin' like this:
    w220196109.jpg

... But I like to keep it simple. Hahaha.

Just the Yankees hat alone makes him a *kitten*! :wink:

(Go Red Sox!)
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Another co-worker once said about me, "You look at her and you think she's all quiet and plain, but she's actually really devious!"
    You must have had your hair up that day.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You look wholesome.
    You look like Laura Ingalls?

That's what I was wondering.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Your boobs look bigger. yeah...I never know how to respond to that.

LMAO the dog and baby both just looked at me like I was an alien when I burst out laughing at this!!
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I get backhanded compliments all the time!! OMG... my entire family is the WORST!!

My great grandma (which I have to say I was really close to and that passed away recently) used to say "yeah we grow 'em big in our family!" and my other favorite after offering you some of her food to taste she would look at your plate clean and say "you are suuuch a good eater"

My cousins (male) never worry about weight what so ever but my oldest always like to say things like "you'll really feel good when you can start to see a difference!!"
  • Pangea250
    Options
    lol i imagine my husband pulling that line out of the box - but the oddest thing he said recently was "it's almost like crawling into bed with a different person. you already FEEL smaller, even if it doesn't show in your clothes"
    Yeah, um, I think your husband is going to win the prize for the Best-Intentioned Compliment That Goes Incredibly Wrong from the Beginning. If he doesn't win, there is something terribly wrong in the world.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Non weight related one...I had a coworker look at a picture of my kids and say, "Well you can certainly tell they are yours?"

How do you take that? Wow...poor kids got your looks or I need to start looking at the UPS guy all suspect like.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Not a compliment but my grandmother (who I hadn't seen in a many years due to family issues) said "You turned out to be a bigger girl than I thought you'd be. :noway:

(she was not small lady herself. :grumble: )
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago, I went back home for a visit, and a much older, and quite drunk man told me, 'you have such a pretty face, how could you do this to yourself and spoil it." Gesturing to my body... REALLY!! I thought he was trying to be mean, but then he bought me a drink and kept smiling at me from across the bar.. again I say REALLY!!

To make it even better, one of my friends that was with me said, 'at least he said you're pretty.'

Come on people, raise your standards. Why does everyone expect you to lower your expectations, just becuase you're over weight!

Everyone deserves to be treated well!!
  • Pangea250
    Options
    I have one friend who seems to turn every compliment into an insult somehow. Here's one of her latest: "I thought you said you didn't care if you lost weight."
    Ouch, what a *****!
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    My mother just said to me on Easter (probably why I grabbed the bottle of wine and started drinking, lol)....... "You look good with the weight loss... for someone pushing 40!" WTF?? Seriously???????
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    woooooow........your face looks thinner and you have one chin now! WHAT?????
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Not weight-related, but the one that always stands out is: "I never knew you were smart!?"

WOW
  • mmiley1111
    mmiley1111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The best ever was!!!! Oh your looking so good when you lose 10 more pounds that jacket will fit you just right!!!!

Boy did I want to slap this person but I might have lost my job!!!!
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    my older sister told me this... i don't see her often maybe every other month or so since we live in different states.

"Wow you look great and lost a lot of weight, but why are you all bulky and have big ugly muscles...stop lifting weights already."

i thought it was pretty funny.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    "Wow, you've lost a lot of weight! You must be starving yourself...'