Most Backhanded Compliment Ever Received?

Options

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I think Grandmothers lose their brain-mouth filter when it comes to granddaughters. th_1sm067roll.gif

Mine sure did. Every time I'd go see her, the first thing she'd tell me is how fat I was. As if I don't own a damn mirror. Once I had lost about 15 lbs.

Grandma: Have you lost weight?
    Me: About 15 lbs.
    Grandma: You're still fat.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    "You've lost some weight! Glad to see you finally taking care of yourself."
    --My dad. He's so charming.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This isn't about weight loss, but it's a comment that ended a friendship.

My husband and I were having zero success trying to conceive. After four years, we were finally pregnant. When we announced it to my co-workers, I was four months along and starting to show. I let my husband do the talking--he was pretty much jumping out of his skin with excitement to break the news, and he blurted out that he was going to be daddy.

One of my co-workers responded, "Really, who's the mother?"
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    my older sister told me this... i don't see her often maybe every other month or so since we live in different states.

"Wow you look great and lost a lot of weight, but why are you all bulky and have big ugly muscles...stop lifting weights already."

i thought it was pretty funny.

apparently she never got the memo that muscles are sexy..
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    This isn't about weight loss, but it's a comment that ended a friendship.

My husband and I were having zero success trying to conceive. After four years, we were finally pregnant. When we announced it to my co-workers, I was four months along and starting to show. I let my husband do the talking--he was pretty much jumping out of his skin with excitement to break the news, and he blurted out that he was going to be daddy.

One of my co-workers responded, "Really, who's the mother?"

I literally jaw dropped at this one. W T F. Some people, seriously. I just don't even know how to respond.
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite isn't related to weight....... "You are REALLY pretty....for a redhead!!"
    Ummmmm......thanks? :smile:
  • portianay
    portianay Posts: 13
    Options
    "You've lost weight! Are you sick or something?"
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This happend back when I was much much thinner. My sister at the time was 50-60 lbs overweight.
    My sister and I were visiting my grandfather. We walked in the door and gave him hugs and kisses and his first words?
    "Melanie, you're thin like this side of the family. Your sister is fat like her dad's side of the family." WTF? :huh:
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Some of these are SO wrong on so many levels. haha a good one would be me showing a picture of an event to one of my coworkers from last summer. She went, "WOAH, you WERE pretty chubby!" I laughed and was like, "I know, that was 44 pounds ago!" I guess she didn't believe me when I told her I lost some weight!

Then there's my parents who refuse to compliment my weight loss because they think if they do I'll stop losing weight, and they want me to keep losing. They just keep telling me I am in my 20s and I should be in my prime and be 110 pounds. I have 114 pounds of lean muscle mass so at 110 pounds I'd be dead.
  • mmkay007
    mmkay007 Posts: 7
    Options
    Once at school we were trying on cheerleading uniforms.
    I told my friend that I looked like a fat hippo.
    My coach said: "Well, you don't look like a hippo..." indicating that i did look fat.
    Gee thanks!
    And my one friend, right after I got a haricut, said, "Yeah, that was a good length. You got it short enough to get off all the split ends, but long enough to keep your face from looking fat!" Awesome.
    And my favorite, from several professors: "You seem so quiet and dull in class, I never expected such great work/discussion!" Maybe I'm just bored in your stupid lectures?
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My first post....these are really something.

Sitting with my husbands friend at a bar 20 years ago - he said " No offense, but I like anorexic girls " ( no wonder he's 50 yrs. old single and never been in a relationship to this date !! )
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    "You're getting scrawny!"- my husband, when I was losing weight before our wedding. I probaby did get a little too thin, but still!
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    "Keep it up! After you lose all the weight, you'll be the real woman you're suppose to be."
    OH, OK.
    :huh:

WTF I say WTF??????????!!!!! They're lucky you didn't deck 'em -

::punches a$$h*le in face:: " That's how a real woman responds to a bullsh*t comment like that!" LOL!!
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    After talking about my weight loss: "It's good that you're losing weight, you were starting to look like your mother." :angry: :explode: :grumble: :huh:
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite isn't related to weight....... "You are REALLY pretty....for a redhead!!"
    Ummmmm......thanks? :smile:

oh my god i was just going to post that comment! except my husband says you know the way redheads are not normally good looking??? we have a redheaded daughter also so I nearly slapped him one. Where does this comment stem from cause I think redheads are gorgeous
  • SeattleLady
    Options
    Not weight-related, but the one that always stands out is: "I never knew you were smart!?"
    Always stands out?? More than one person has said that?? Sheesh...

Yup. It's been a constant in my life. Apparently wearing a beanie, a hooded sweater, and some baggy jeans is the equivalent of uneducated scum.

Bahahahahahahahahahahaha :laugh:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    When I posted by before and midway pictures, someone told me that I "don't look amazing yet, BUT.."

I'm still shocked at that guy. What a jack***. Maybe he wasn't wearing his glasses.
  • jernegj
    jernegj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You've lost a lot of weight - - - did you INTEND to? (ie, do you have cancer?)
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    A while back, I was at my doctor for a check-up and when I stepped on the scale, I weighed 178 lbs. The nurse seemed to think that was too much, so she made me get off the scale and then step back on. When the scale still read the same weight, she asked me if I had anything heavy in my pockets :huh:. I said I did not, and she, as if it was a compliment, replied, "Wow, you don't look like you weigh that much!"

Edit: typo
  • realia
    realia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    "Keep it up! After you lose all the weight, you'll be the real woman you're suppose to be."
    OH, OK.
    :huh:

WTF I say WTF??????????!!!!! They're lucky you didn't deck 'em -

::punches a$$h*le in face:: " That's how a real woman responds to a bullsh*t comment like that!" LOL!!
    Yeah, my mom was in the same room and we were at her friend's house, so I couldn't do anything. LOL