How successful is a no-bread diet?

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    pretty successful for me.....i eat a higher protein lower carb diet, and keep my calories at about 1500 depending on my exercise intensity and have seriously reduced my cravings and am successfully losing weight. I do eat one piece of whole grain breat a day, but other than that I my carbs come from vegies and lower carb fruits. I find it easier (and this is just my experience and what works for me) not to eat "bready" and sweet things -- if I eat one I crave more. But I don't think it is all in my head. There is a very interesting scientific literature on sugar addiction (and white flour stuff is metabolized into sugar like carb chains very quickly in the body). I think for some people and I am one of them my cravings are partly genetic and physiological (similar to alcohol). But that is a different subject.

I agree totally with you. :flowerforyou:
  • SpencerAston
    Options
    I cut out bread, wheat, and fried food and ate strictly gluten free products and lost 50 lbs in 5 months
  • hc83
    hc83 Posts: 23
    Options
    Rice is unfortunately a scam and not nutritional. breads shouldn't be a staple in your diet. fruit and veg all the way! Check out Dr. Joel Fuhrmans studies.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I cut out bread, wheat, and fried food and ate strictly gluten free products and lost 50 lbs in 5 months

Yep. The gliadin component of gluten appears to be the most problematic. I still eat a bit of 100% whole rye bread. It still has gluten but less of it than does wheat. Also, unlike wheat, it has a complete amino acid profile and it does not raise blood sugar precipitously, as most wheat bread does (even whole wheat). I saw an experiment conducted with Type II diabetics where important markers improved significantly on rye bread rather than wheat bread. Rye bread also has a unique type of fiber that keeps you full for a LONG time. It is a body builder's friend in that other experiments have shown that it helps to build muscle faster when it is substituted for wheat bread in their diets. The traditional way that 100% rye bread is raised is with a sourdough culture--also beneficial for the gut.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Rice is unfortunately a scam and not nutritional. breads shouldn't be a staple in your diet. fruit and veg all the way! Check out Dr. Joel Fuhrmans studies.

Yes--there is also the arsenic problem with rice.
  • josee1965
    Options
    I think it's not sustainable. I did the 17 day diet last year, lost 7 pounds in a few days but then not much after. I felt sick and dizzy all the time. I find, if I stick to approximately 3-4 carbs a day and exercise a bit, I lose 2-3 lbs a week.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've been successful going lower carb. I stay below 50g (gross) carbs per day five days of the week. I don't eat bread anymore, but I have pasta once a week and Asian (rice) once a week so those two days are higher (though still under 100g for the day, under 75g if I can; I plan around it).
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I cut out all grains a year ago. My carbs now come from vegetables, nuts and a bit of fruit (mostly berries, with an occasional apple) I'm diabetic, so grains are not my friend and I plan on eating this way for the rest of my life to keep blood glucose under control.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread unless I'm outside the house and have it with dinner. The only benefit I see to cutting bread out is it lowers my carbs for the day. I've gotten used to naked veggie burgers and naked veggie hot dogs, so I don't bother buying the stuff/eating it at home.

Honestly, if you can fit it in your macros, go ahead and eat it. But if you feel you're eating too much, then scale it back, or just eat it when you go out/don't keep it in the house.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I cut out bread, rice, pasta, for a month. I stuck with organic fruits, veggies, and quality meat. It was a very good decision because my symptoms of IBS went away. Now the only time i eat bread is when I have pizza for a cheat day. It wreaks havoc on my system. It may be a gluten allergy. Within 30 minutes my stomach starts gurgling and bloating. :/

I would like to try quinoa. Hopefully that won't make my stomach upset.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have cut out all forms of high starchy items which includes high fructose corn syrup, sugar, ketchup, bread, pasta, corn, corn meal, grains, potatoes, etc. I get all my carbs from dairy and lots of low starchy vegetables. I have reactive hypo and have to maintain a 1.5:1 or 1:1 ratio of carbs to protein with every meal per doc. This is a healthy lifestyle choice, so it wasn't hard for me to do.
  • shaneN123
    Options
    Im 6'1 18 years old & I started this diet when I weighed 221, I now weigh 194. I train 6 days a week and try to do hiit cardio for 30-60mins. I've been doing this no bread/rice:starch/flour (low carb) diet for 60 days. I gave seen great success in my body and everyone is shocked. I am now going to eat my carbs/bread 1-2 times a week. This diet has workout amazing for me I lost over 20 pounds!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I am thinking of trying not to eat any bread, white rice or pasta for a month. Has anyone tried this tactic before? How successful were you?

I haven't had any wheat products for about a year. I do eat one piece of 100% sourdough rye bread most days but I wouldn't have to. I eat rice or rice pasta sometimes when I go out---but months go by when I don't eat any. I quit eating sugar about three years ago and I had a lot of health benefits from that but I noticed the best drop in weight since I quit the wheat---close to 25 pounds.
  • nashvillegirl1414
    Options
    I never eat bread unless I'm at a restaurant that serves it or something like that. There is almost no nutritional value in it. Try Ezekiel 4:9 Wraps - They are super nutritional and a great alternative to bread!
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i just try not to eat any processed grains. So i stick to Ezekiel and brown rice and Im doing well.
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    A no bread diet is a great diet. I had given up bread in August and can tell you I have probably had real bread twice since then in seven months. Nowadays I get the gluten free kind. Serves the purpose. When I was eating bread, I would get whole wheat. Gluten free is not that far of a stretch from it.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free, so this is my life! Sometimes I eat rice, but I try to keep all grains to a minimum. Well, except quinoa. I love quinoa.

Being gluten free hasn't made me lose any more weight, honestly, but I do feel so much better. Even friends who don't have celiac's have tried going gf, and they've had more energy, less digestive issues, and less problems with allergies.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    as successful as you want it to be. I absolutely don't miss it at all. :)
  • UnicornRides
    Options
    The problem with any breads, be it: white, wheat, rice, pasta, and more.. is that it's all bad for you since it's made HORRIBLY wrong. There's a lot of arsenic sneaking into those foods and the levels that, while regulated, are still not great for us.. so, yeah, I imagine you'd get quite a lot out of not eating those.

Though I did cut them out, for a long time (about 4 months), I didn't notice a difference. It was also a struggle to find things to accompany certain meals (peanut butter and jelly just didn't go well by themselves..) It's a token food. It's carbs (energy) and filling (swells and has fiber.)

Try it. If you don't see any results, then go back to eating it. I stopped drinking sodas and never saw any difference. It all just depends on your body and metabolism.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Its one thing to cut back but its another to totally cut out certain foods.

Remember, you'll have to be able to stick with it. Can you live the rest of your life without bread and everything else?

I simply cut back on certain foods and eat them in moderation. I haven't completely cut out those foods. Instead of having spaghetti a few times a week we now only have it once or twice a month. I've done the same with rice, potatoes and pizza. I still eat all of the things I love but not as much and not nearly as often as I used to.

It would be different if you were say diabetic and couldn't have certain foods or if you had some other illness that would require you to cut out certain foods or else risk getting extremely ill.

Remember that you have to be able to do it forever in order to keep the weight off. Can you honestly completely cut out those foods forever?