Ideal size for tall girls?

Options

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and have never been outside the normal BMI range. At my heaviest, I wore an American size 12 (41" butt), and I am currently a 6 (37" butt).

I have a friend who is 6'3" (a woman, yes) and who I've given clothes to. She fits into my size 12 pants, and she looks slender at that height and size.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Instead of size or weight, focus on body fat percentage. I'm 5'8 and weight 160ish, wear a comfortable size 8 and am low 20s BF%. Who cares how much I weigh or what size I wear? Not me. Perhaps others. I gladly share my stats, though.

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg

Definitely. Body fat % is more important for how you look than size; you can diet down to a small size, but if there is no muscle on them bones and only fat, it might not look attractive.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the calculators...that makes me feel pretty good. for my age(50), measurements, weight, height (5;8)I am in a normal range :) Would like to lose 7-10 more pounds...but okay if I dont

I'm a shorty (5'3") but I thought some of you might find this useful:

Work out your current body fat % here first: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
    You'll need a tape measure to get the following: Neck measurement (in inches), Waist measurement (in inches), Hip measurement (at widest point) plus your height and weight.

When you have your bf% plug that number into here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/ to get your goal/ideal weight

(Works for people of all shapes and sizes)

:flowerforyou:
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a 47 yr old female who's 6' and weigh 147.5 (roughly) now. BMI 21 I think. I normally wear a M, 6 or 8, depending on cut. Jeans 29 or 30 with a 36 length. You are doing great, keep it up and you'll get to your goal!
  • SuperWoman46
    Options
    Hello, I am 5 "10-1/2 and wear a size 16 but I feel heavy. Honestly, I feel that a size 12 for my height would be ideal. So, I am working out and starting to eat right. As far as your question....Get to the size that makes you feel comfortable.
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and was 159 lbs about 4 years ago. I went up to 186 and am now at 220. I would like to get back to 170. When I was 159, I was a size 8 most of the time. I have large hips (or at least think so with all the fat around them). I am hoping when I get to 170, I can wear a 10. I absolutely love http://www.maurices.com. While it may be too young for some people, they definitely have LONG jeans. They go to a 37" inseam. They also carry plus sizes. I've also found pants at JC Penney. They carry long and online carry extra-long. I think that hardest part is having friends that are shorter and aim for a size 4 or 6, which would make me look far too thin.
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!! You do look great! I'm your height and not much heavier than you, but I look almost twice your size right now ( wonder if I even have muscle at all..think it's all fat LOL). When I look close to what you look like I'm around 140. It's simply amazing how people can carry weight so much differently.
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!! You do look great! I'm your height and not much heavier than you, but I look almost twice your size right now ( wonder if I even have muscle at all..think it's all fat LOL). When I look close to what you look like I'm around 140. It's simply amazing how people can carry weight so much differently.
    This was meant for lik_11. I accidentally hit reply instead of quote :P
  • Svolt
    Svolt Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I weigh 214lbs and wear a comfortable size 14. Before I had my daughter and at my lowest weight of 198lbs, I could fit into a juniors size 11. My goal weight is 180lbs :wink:

2da39b4b-c0ea-4702-8bd1-b01c94c7e058.jpg
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You've got a few inches on me, I'm 5'9-10" ish but I wear a 4/6. I always thought I was 'big boned' until I lust all the fat from around those bones.
    Best wishes.

:drinker:

Same here - I'm around a size 2 and 5'9. I started out at a size 16/18, and I also would have swore back then that I was big boned.

Now I know that that is so very far from the truth...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10", 54 years old and curvy. I'm at a 21.something BMI at 153, which is in the middle of the healthy zone and am muscly, so look thinner.

I easily fit in LL Bean size small and medium shirts. Any 'misses' pants size 10 and most size 8. I've never tried anything smaller, but can fit my son's 30"/34" jeans.

This is odd for me as I have been a 12-14 most of my life, but the sizes had gotten bigger as I did. I have a 39" bust, 28" waist, 40" hips.

I took in all my old pants 6" and have done a lot of my shirts.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and believe I looked best at 170-180 wearing a size 13-14 :smile: Honestly I don't think I could realistically go much smaller because of my frame.
  • Marieluna83
    Marieluna83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im 6' 1" and I have always had the same problem. But I think a weight 160 to 190 its ok

I was a size 22 weighting 328, im now at 286 and I just enter a size 18 again, but the funny part is that when I was weighting 230 I was 18 still, sometimes I could get into a 17 and the smallest size I have been into is a large and I have always had a big chest.

My sister is following the same line as me she is 13ys, she already wears a size 12 to 14 and she is normal size but doesnt look the size.

So I think the idea is to enter a weight that one feels comfortable and dont pay attention to the number of ur cloths :)

I for one know Ill never be lower than a size 12-14, and hey I be happy in that number :)
  • carlywifeybrown
    carlywifeybrown Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft tall and started out at 229lbs (UK size 16), I'm now 208lbs and have been plateauing for a few weeks now and I'm between a UK size 12-14. I think my body might be trying to tell me that I've almost reached my healthy target - it's how ever you feel comfortable and there are loads of shops out there that cater for taller women. I personally find all my best and reasonably priced clothes from Next.
  • hisushi87
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and currently weight 163, I used to be content at that weight but now I do feel aware that I live a rather sedate life and would like to be lighter as I feel like I carry a lot of unnecessary weight around my thighs and bum. My current goal weight is 154 though I'll see what it's like when I get to that if I'm not too skinny I might want to lose another 5-8 pounds and get down to 145.
  • I'm 6", biggest I've ever been was a UK size 14, current is a UK size 8 at 140lbs. You can see it in my profile pic, I look healthy and not skeletal, but I can go up 10 pounds or so before straying into the looking over weight territory. I have broad shoulders, wide hips and thick set legs, but a slimmer upper body. Next is great for pants because of the leg length, the only things I struggle with are dresses becoming tops and needing a bigger sizes in some jumpers so that the sleeves are long enough.

Edited because I can't spell :)
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i'm 6ft 1, weighed 335lbs and was a clothes size 26
    hoping to get to 200 ultimately and hopegully be around size 16
  • WriteRunWrite
    Options
    I'm 5'8" (138) and wear size 2-4 for most brands. Last summer when I was thinner (115) I could fit into 0 or 00, but that was a little too thin. I think a lot depends on hip size - I have friends who are thinner than I am and wear a bigger size, but mostly because their hips are a little bigger.
  • tamjones3
    tamjones3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'10" and would like to be under 200 pounds. I have a way to go but being tall you carry weight well so I'm losing for better health. If I go under 200, I'm sure my motivation will be great and I will lose more. My size does not matter as much as being healthy. I do not want to look like a skeleton.
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    I am 6' and have been up and down the scale my whole life. I got to my lowest weight at this height three years ago when I was just about fitting into some size 16s at the Gap and almost 14s at Old Navy (their sizes run large, right?).

I love beautiful clothes but it seems that my ideal size is not within the range of most designers.

So, just curious--for those of you who have been/are tall and at a good weight, what size are you? I met a woman once who was my height, ran every day and had a gorgeous figure and she said she wore a size 16. Rodarte doesn't come in size 16!!

...without having read the rest of the thread...I'll get to it.

I'm 5'10" but I'm also willowy. My ideal size is going to be different from other tall women and vice versa.

I'm also a seamstress/costumer. I'm here to tell you that the number on the tag means nothing. I've sewn for chubby size 4s and thin size 14s. It's all about bone structure and where your flesh lies. When I was 18 I weighed a natural 110 lbs. Really tiny but normal for me at the time...you'd think at that weight I'd wear a size 0, right? Nope. I wore a size 5 to a size 8 in jeans. While I'm small boned, I have a wider pelvis bone and my weight lies on my hips and butt.

When I was at a normal 140, I wore a size 10 to 12. I know of far shorter women at that same weight wearing a 6.

There are so many ways to construct clothes to make them fit a body, to create a silhouette, to create a style, to include ease in wear, that honestly, the number means NOTHING. When your clothes fit well and your body is healthy, you will look good. Ignore the number.

Becky