Replies

• patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mikelan
    Mikelan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is the exact information I needed thank you for clearing it up. Makes so much sense
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Its funny you posted this.
    Fitnessblackandwhite.com just did a great article about this yesterday.
    I love it! Thanx for supporting your peers!
  • Sloth_Jog
    Options
    bump
  • barefoot75
    barefoot75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    awesome info! thanks!
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    required reading!
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Bump because new people need to read this!
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Tigergrr
    Tigergrr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    After 8yrs of maintaining my 3st loss, I started to gain... very slowly... and over 2yrs I gained 10lbs. I 'thought' that when I split up with the ex a year ago, got my own place, and started to feed myself 'healthy, nutritious' meals, I'd start to lose it again. But no, I gained another 5lbs. It's got to stop!

Coming here and starting to count my calories, I find I'm having about 700 a day... on a normal working day... but 'occasionally' I'd get cravings and binge on bread, cake, chocolate. I'm not a pudding eater, never have been, so the cake really does only happen if it's somebody's birthday at work and they brought cakes in.

I'm struggling a little bit to reach my 1200 a day, but I'm doing it (even if it does mean 'some' chocolate!), and I've lost 2lb in less than 2wks. Crazy...

"But Some People Claim You GAIN Weight in Starvation Mode?
    Starvation Mode itself will not cause weight gain. However, a combination of starvation mode, binges, and carb loading, can cause weight gain. Once the metabolism decreases, your energy requirements are lower. So you have to eat less just to maintain your current weight. The body has become more efficient at using and storing energy. But most people have a hard time maintaining a very low intake consistently for long periods. So if your typical intake is 1000 (just an example), but you have occasional binges of 3000 and the binge is mostly carbs, the body can’t use all of that at one time anymore. So the body shuttles it to fat storage. This won’t be a huge gain, but a lb or two a month maybe. It’s not dramatic, but if someone lives this way for years, they can gain a decent amount of weight. "
  • Bump
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bumping to keep. Thanks for bringing this info back to the top.
  • ElleEmmeKay
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    this is a wonderful post. thanks, OP - people need to read this.
  • debrawallin
    debrawallin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • costahobo
    costahobo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's highly unlikely that anybody is in starvation mode, as it's not going to happen as long as your body has excess body fat (meaning that if you're over 4-5% body fat, you will not enter starvation mode).

This was proven back in the 1940's by Dr. Ancel Keys with the Minnesota Starvation Experiment at the University of Minnesota. Science wins (yet again). Please stop spreading the misinformation. If you've reached a plateau and you're not losing weight, eat less and exercise more.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    It's highly unlikely that anybody is in starvation mode, as it's not going to happen as long as your body has excess body fat (meaning that if you're over 4-5% body fat, you will not enter starvation mode).

This was proven back in the 1940's by Dr. Ancel Keys with the Minnesota Starvation Experiment at the University of Minnesota. Science wins (yet again). Please stop spreading the misinformation. If you've reached a plateau and you're not losing weight, eat less and exercise more.

Wow, you seem to be incredibly intelligent!!

Did you actually even read her post? Or is this just a knee jerk reaction to the very general and incredibly vague term 'starvation mode'?

So...how about taking a moment to look again. She clearly defined the difference between the term 'starvation mode' and actual 'starvation', which is obviously what you're referring to. Guess you were too caught up in your self righteousness to notice.

Also, I find it incredibly humorous that you felt the need to raise this thread that was over two months dead in order to correct someone who hasn't posted since 2011 lol.
  • ShoShoyi
    ShoShoyi Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    BUMP!