Do People Get Annoyed With You Because You Count Calories?

Options

Replies

• Kassieisproud
    Options
    YES!! My best friend is naturally super skinny but doesn't like it. She says she hates that im dieting and trying to become thin to. It reached a point where i had to tell her to stop talking and that she never gets to mention my calories again.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    If they're annoyed, they don't tell me to my face. I do get made fun of when I count. But I like it. :smile:
  • kayleystar
    kayleystar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not really, because my friends are watching what they eat as well. It's funny...my best friend & I will go out to lunch, and BAM! We're on our phones tracking what we eat on the app. lol. My Husband supports this 100%, so he hasn't given me crap about tracking calories when we're out and about.
  • Jupitter
    Options
    I'm sure they'll say something else when they see your body transforming...LOL!
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I dont care what people think.
  • melaniefd
    melaniefd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes! If they don't say anything directly they get that "sound" in their voice that means I have frustrated them. I chalk it up to knowing they probably need to do the same thing... not necessarily for losing weight but to be a healthy eater. It's especially hard with my friends that I used to pig out with all the time and now I am not willing to go for the fast food and junk all the time.
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    All the time. Not just friends, my family too. And they get even more annoyed when I don't binge drink with them during parties.

But I don't really care, that is their opinion. I know what's good and what's not for me. Plus, I don't suffer from a hangover the next day, they do :-P
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    American restaurant portion sizes are all messed up. Maybe when we track, it shatters a happy delusion that it doesn't matter.

I haven't been harassed, but if I were, it would take nothing at all for me to create boundaries that no one would doubt. I would simply say, 'My food tracking is my business and no one else's. It serves me. From now on, this topic is off limits.'

If it becomes an argument, walk away, or say 'I refuse to discuss this.'
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend.. He's a chef, he gets a bit annoyed when I ask him every ingrediant in my food so I can add it as a recipe on here for the calories! :-)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    My husband gets annoyed but he'd never admit it though.. He also needs to lose weight, probably 40lbs and I'd like for him to do this too but he's not interested. Like everyone else he has to want to do it for himself.
    I like mfp because I am a recovered anorexic. I now weigh 162lbs with several more to go (im going to lose 30) and mfp helps me to make sure I eat enough, exercise enough and I have support from people other than family members. The family members who have me on here support me 100% though. :)
  • mv0912
    mv0912 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    yes! It's almost as if it annoys them that I am trying to be healthy and accountable. In the end I think it makes them feel guilty for not tracking the calories that they eat.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    only my closest friends and my hubby know i'm counting....my hubby jokes im on the site too much tracking everything but he's seeing results. my sil asked if i was just going to do this until i lose what i want or am i going to track forever....i said forever, it's a life-style change...after i lose i will track to maintain.

oh well...she says she works out for 10 mins on her dvd and stays fit...and is amazed i work out 30-60mins every day. haha
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    WOW! I feel pretty fortunate, most everybody I'm around has been very supportive. I have a friend I go to lunch with occasionally, when she call now she always says....do you have enough calories for lunch?
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I don't think they get annoyed with my calorie counting, but my new found interest in all things fitness and health and outdoorsy just might. I'm just so excited to be at a great place in my life that I can't help but share. And I try not to batter people over the head with it or preach to them, it's just what I'm interested in and what I do, so that's what I most want to talk about.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    No, how would they ever even know unless I was one of those types of bores who constantly talks about himself, his diet and how many calories certain foods have.

CLUE:
    Let's shut up about our diet and fitness program.
    Nobody outside MFP cares.....
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This happened to me last night! I was out at a bar with a friend, just talking about stuff going on in our lives...and I said that I was feeling great lately, been working with this new program, feeling slimmer, eating better, etc. etc. She got mad at me! She's like talking stupid diets like counting calories pisses her off. She rants about how I don't need to be doing that, I should enjoy life, whatever. And finally I told her: You know, this is something I'm really excited about, and I'm seeing it as having a positive effect on my lifestyle. She eventually apologized, but funny you should mention folks getting angry at you!
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Haha, I went out to eat and ordered 2 grilled shrimp skewers and some veggies. A very healthy meal as I checked the nutritional menu before I went out.

The lady that took my order looked at me and said only 2? I said yep and she looked at me again and said, well okay.

Needless to say I wasn't happy about that. But I still had a great time and felt so much better afterwards for staying on track. :)
  • WarrantyVoider
    WarrantyVoider Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think people do that because they feel guilty about not doing it themselves when deep down they probably know they should be doing a better job.
    Plus they want to remain in blissful ignorance about how many calories they are eating.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    When I first began using MFP my boyfriend was laughing at me being so... determined?
    After he saw the results stopped doing that.
    Although he still insists advising me to eat whatever he eats, but here is the problem. I want to eat more than he does, but cannot explain him that if I do so, I will soon be at his double weight!
    But now... we have a new problem.
    I want to cook all by myself everything I eat, so he has to eat everyday at home healthy food. He is from the people that all their life were thin, so he didn't ever have to be on a diet or watch out what he was eating. Sometimes we argue because he wants french fries or fish and chips and I don't... but I can handle it pretty well until now. LOL....
  • netztoy
    netztoy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    not annoyed..just make fun of me..but I'm ok with that, cause it's not about them...it's about me and my health:bigsmile: