Do People Get Annoyed With You Because You Count Calories?

Options

Replies

• december8teen
    Options
    Yes, my mum. She thinks I'm mad when she saw me logging in my calories right after dinner. Apparently when you're not overweight or "skinny enough" you can afford to eat more without control.

Urm, no. Just no. It took me a year to shed off pounds, I'm not going to let anyone sabotage it.
  • 10_M
    10_M Posts: 22
    Options
    I am known as a helath freak around my friends, but they are unaware that I am counting calories. I really good at remembering exactly what I ate, and how much.
  • george_ie_girl
    george_ie_girl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I usually add my calories before or after I go out with friends - it's rude to be on your phone when you're out with people, regardless of what it is you're doing.
  • maryjay51
    Options
    they laugh at me now but at first they didnt know what the heck to say.. im one to yell out calories, fat and carbs in something.. recently someone brought in some really good cookies and i also had one .. then i freaked out at the nutritional chart on the back and had to make sure everyone knew what it was .. i told them all they would never see me eat one of them cookies again..it was some crazy ungodly high caloried cookie..
  • PhilLoch
    Options
    I suppose there's a few out there, but I don't care. I AM ON A MISSION. I call this a food plan sort of like Nutrasystem, but I use this site to administer the food plan. Terry Bradshaw advertises "they deliver it, all you gotta do is eat em. So what I do is I count em for free and get the same results as Nutrasystem. Am a diabetic and have lost about 15 pounds since starting this six or eight weeks ago. I don't skip meals anymore, have low calorie snacks when needed, use diet Pepsi cause my heart doc says, they are unlimited since they're Zero calories, yeah. And my blood glucose numbers have hovered between 82 and 95 for the past three weeks. That's normal for most people, but after struggling for several years with 135 or so and higher being the normal I'm more than pleased, I'm ecstatic.
  • LeeAna77
    Options
    ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time, my friends keep thinking that just cause i keep track of how many calories are in something, or how much i eat, that its some kinda of ed. they get especially bothered when they just ate 1/2 a bag of chips or fast food and im snacking on whatever veggies i brought from home. i try not to mention it when i put stuff into the app
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Well, if you count scoffs and people laughing at me being annoyed, then yeah all the time.

If I'm confronted with the 'why' behind using this site, I just show them how far I've come and say that this site helped me do it.

Results speak for themselves. And when they start noticing those results, it shuts them alllllll up.
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    Yup....happens all the time. People say "You live on a diet" and wrinkle their nose like that's a bad thing. But here's a special bulletin for ya, once you hit your goal you will ALWAYS be on a diet for the rest of your life, otherwise you would just gain it all back again. That's just the reality of it.
  • Pkiddy
    Pkiddy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i've been out to happy hour with some friends and told "put that phone away for crying out loud we are at happy hour!!! who could you be texting anyway???!!!" I need to log everything as i eat/drink it so i don't forget anything. i just let them get back to their conversation and then added the beverage to my diary.

i also get the ones at work that KNOW i'm watching my calories and they will make comments like "oh, look at you being so goooooooddddd". not sure why it bothers me, but this person can eat anything and never gain. ever. and she does eat anything. she's the one that brings in the bag of cookies because she wanted ONE and didnt want the rest to go to waste. ...
  • Kendrawinn
    Options
    All the time.... mostly my coworkers, they dont understand. And I dont care.
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I get told alot that it is depressing to them!not so much annoying
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    All. The. Freaking. Time. I have one friend who will literally give e a lecture if I talk about counting calories in front of her. I've had to just learn to remember what I eat and add it later when I'm around her.

Why???? "Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    Why should you have to change for others? I feel like all those people who say I am crazy are just mad that they aren't doing anything about their own unhappiness. Being accountable makes me happy and if they can't live with it...BYE!
    My husband used to complain, but I told him that this makes me happy. He has learned to live with it and now reminds me to log :)
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yep! Once reached goal the general comment was "now you can eat what you want". NOT! They just don't get it, that this is a lifetime thing for me. I stopped trying to explain things to people - It's like beating your head against the wall. They either don't want to get it or realy don't get it.
  • jhayes28
    jhayes28 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I constantly hear comments about tracking calories and what I eat. My co-workers are always harrassing me that I am eating "too healthy"...just because I turn down their offers of chocolate or pop. They also don't understand what it's like to be overweight as they have always been thin, no matter what they eat! While I think they are lucky being thin and never having to worry about calories, I have been trying to count myself as the lucky one because this lifestyle change will help me for the rest of my life. They may have issues 10-20 years down the road and have to struggle then. :)

Although their comments annoy me, I try to let it go in one ear and out the other. I don't need them to support my good eating habits! :)
  • mmlkb4
    mmlkb4 Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes!!,! And I feel like they are always offering me unhealthy food just to make themselves feel better about the crap they eat!
  • ajswriter
    ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Some people do--usually overweight people doing nothing to better their own situation--but not too often. I usually keep it to myself, and like someone else said, don't let it rule my life. :)
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Been doing this for a year and until the husband recently started P90x, I 'hid' counting calories/weighing food from even him. He just thought I knew a *lot* about food. Now that he started counting cals it's actually liberating and fun for him to ask, "so what were the stats for dinner tonight?". However, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling even my closest friends that I count cals and log. I feel like this is just a personal choice and absolutely don't make it obvious when I do.
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned it yet, but they did notice I've been rather crabby. :angry: I don't know what they mean! Who you callin' crabby?
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    in a word, YES, some do. but oh well.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac disease--no wheat, rye or barley---so some people think I am not eating due to the limits from that....But if they ask, I tell them about this..