Do People Get Annoyed With You Because You Count Calories?

Options

Replies

• sarahness
    sarahness Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    people get annoyed with me sometimes. because if im going out to eat, i like to know WHERE i am going ahead of time so I have some time to research the menu and calories. plus if i eat like a cookie or something i get comments like i thought you were calorie counting! its like yeah i am COUNTING this as its going in my mouth. just because i am calorie counting doesnt mean i cant have a couple treats now and then. i count for them!
  • mallo_reeee
    Options
    YES! Just about everyone I know (or, at least have eaten around) get SO mad at me for counting calories. It's ridiculous. It's my life.
  • mommyoverboard
    Options
    One of the things I have learned is that, not only am I now making good health choices on what I feed to my body, but also, I need to make good healthy choices about whom I surround myself with. If you find that your friends are being anything less than supportive of your new lifestyle, perhaps they aren't very good friend at all.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    yes, my husband...he said to me the other day that as soon as i say the word calorie, he stops listening....but he doesn't mind the 8 lbs he has lost since i stopped buying crappy food
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    To avoid potentially making my friends uncomfortable, I either mentally log what I have and then add it via phone once I get back into my car OR better yet, I plan out ahead of time what I want to eat when going out, put it in the diary before I leave, and then I'm held accountable for eating just that much :)

EXACTLY what I do!
  • lwood42
    Options
    I actually heard that technology is becoming available soon on some show I saw recently.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Sometimes but who gives a damn. I'm doing this for me. Period.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    What a great topic......It seems that people believe that because I have lost over 60 pounds I no longer have to worry. When comments are made and they are a lot I just smile and say.....If you would rather go for a walk than out to lunch I am up for it.

Counting calories on MFP has worked for me better than any other program and at 61 I have tried a few!

I never accept a lunch date unless it is at a place that has a salad bar. Friends are so used to that now that they say...usual place? I smile and tell them how much I value their support.

I am just now at a place where I feel I can trust myself to go to new places to eat.

Loved this topic.
  • anave285
    anave285 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. I stopped tracking my calories because I'm in school and was too "busy" and I looked up 10 lbs heavier. But... when I'm tracking my calories, I'm not even hungry. I can go the whole day on like 600 calories. Then at night I have to force myself to eat something. Just like tonight, right now I'm having to eat a 560 calorie boxed meal so my body won't go into starvation mode and I still have 98 calories left! Track... please track!
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    yes but I don't give a F$#!... I don't have the body I want by eating whatever I want whenever I want...
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    they dont
  • paignt
    paignt Posts: 15
    Options
    I can't recall a time someone got annoyed with me, so I guess not! I get the feeling at times that one of my friends does find this whole getting-healthy thing to be stupid, but oh well, I'm not even that close to them lol. Though sometimes, if I have to go out and eat at some place, I'll mention that I'm counting cals so we don't end up going to a place that has a lot of high-cal foods and thus I wouldn't be able to get anything.
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Oh yesss, sometimes they even call me crazy and obsessed, but I just "wave and smile" lol I do what I wanna do and doing it for myself :-)
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend complains about it all the time and it's gotten old. I don't think I'm being neurotic or extreme because I like to keep track of what I eat.
  • LauraLovesCamp
    Options
    I totally hear you. People are kinda on their phones a lot. MFP is just another app to some people. But to me, it's a tool that I need. I was at a dinner party recently, scanning the packages of the food and adding my points. If I didn't I would have over eaten. So what's better.

Friends will be supportive. Grabbing your phone will always be obnoxious. But when they know what your up to hopefully they will just simply support.
  • eros8801
    eros8801 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A long time ago, when I did weight watchers, I counted points. One slice of pizza was 9 points and you could have like 28 points a day. And a fish stick is one point.
    All in all, I think counting calories is HARDER, but gives me a different twist on things.
    And I don't care what people think in most cases.

What I can say is that I used to be annoyed by people who counted calories because I was so out of control that I was really just deep down jealous that so many other people could assert power over their health, how they looked and felt. It was my low self-esteem talking.
    Now, I get inspired by it a little bit. I think the point is not to go overboard with it and get annoying. Be self aware and try not to be self righteous about it and it's okay.

That's my input.
  • mrskatiee
    Options
    For the most part, no. Although I do have a friend who is thin and it makes her uncomfortable. I don't worry much about it. I am more concerned with getting healthier, and staying that way. Good luck!
  • JackieLM
    JackieLM Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yes... especially my hubby... He says I am "driving him nuts with 'my weight loss' thing". oh well... in one year, I will be looking hot and I won't care how much I annoyed him!

I think the main reason it annoys him is because he doesn't think that this is something I am going to stick with. He thinks it is just a "phase". I have "lost weight" before and gained back, but this time is different....
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    No one bothers me...I don't make a big deal about it to anyone...I do my thing and don't talk about it......
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Im very lucky in that respect all of my family and friends are very supportive I have a few friends who kind of roll their eyes and tell me im more obessed with MFP than Facebook! Oh so true. :laugh: In the end though it doesnt matter. Im doing this for me and when I do get to goal weight no matter how it takes I will still calorie count because this for me is a life long thing and I am doing it for me. Everyone else can either support me or get out my way lol :smile: :flowerforyou: