Strange names

Options

Replies

• Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Favorite names I have come accross:

Co-worker named Long Dong.
    College professor by the name Harry (not Harold) Weiner. It was rumored, but never confirmed, that his son's name was Hugh G. Wiener
    High school classmate Honey Bear Hoover. She fit her name perfectly, she was about 5'2" and weighed probably 250.
    Another high school classmate Candice (Candy) Valentine who's birthday happened to be Feb 14th...
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My last name is Green. I always joked growing up that I was going to marry a Korean woman just so I could name our first child Gang.
  • spaztastic13
    spaztastic13 Posts: 229
    Options
    I used to know a guy back when i was a teen named Thaddeus....but it for sure fit him....
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I've worked in a school and although the unusual names rise an eyebrow I'd prefer them to the "in" names. One year the new intake of 60 children had 6 Jordans. We had Paige (and Payje & Payge too) in abundance too.

The most unusual ones were siblings Faith, Praise, Miracle and Hope plus a couple more that I didn't get to meet before I left the job, mum had tried to have children for years and lost many along the way, time and hope were running out and suddenly along they came problem free. I thought their names were totally justified.

There was a tiny little starter one year, so dinky, chin only came up to the tiniest desks, we had to get her a booster seat for in the dining hall and her name was Angel, her name suited her size but she was really a little devil (in the nicest way) with a wicked sense of humour far above her age or stature - had a real soft spot for her!
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    A few of my cousins have unusual names.... Zadoch, Crusoe, Arroe, Rashida... I can't remember the rest but their parents said that with their last names being Johnson, they had to spice it up a bit.

My name is Allegra, which everyone thinks is strange, though its not uncommon. **btw I was named BEFORE the allergy medicine.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Baby Girl Green is what Phoebe in friends thinks Rachel's baby is called (because of her ID tag).

I've met a Coral and Reef (sister and brother) which I thought was quite cute :)

My name is Coral. My older sisters called me "Reefer" when I was little.
  • otr12
    Options
    I went to school with a Cinnamon Wetzel (sounded like Pretzel if you said it fast)

And a Willow Tree

I went with an unusual name for my DD... Her name is Clairece (as in Silence of the Lambs).. I guess it isn't unusual, just uncommon.

My sons name is Willow Rayne. Yep, Willow is a boy.
  • otr12
    Options
    I have 4 Safeway cards and I lied about my last name on all of them. So when I'm done checking out at the grocery store they hand me my receipt and say:
    "Thank you Mrs. Octane"
    "Thank you Mrs. Apex"
    "Thank you Mrs. Drifter" (I drift shopping carts)
    and
    "Thank you Mrs. Racer"
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My great grandmothers name was Zora. I also used to work for the Parks and Rec department with children best names I saw were Blaze, Fuji (pronounced Fudgie) , Maite , Lamika and Gordo :noway:
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    My husband once had a boss whose name is Michael Cooch....he goes by Mike. Really.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    When my mom worked in the hospital a woman their named her son ****head...i kid you not, they pronounced it Shi-thed. A kid in my sister's class is named Onetwenty and yes that is his birth given name, and my sister in law named her daughter Cherry which has set her up to have horrible highschool years.
  • Bavaria100
    Bavaria100 Posts: 42
    Options
    My maiden name is Hundertmark. That's German and would be more or less the same as somebody called Hundreddollars. We were all disappointed when Germany decided to join the Euro. Oh and then there is my mum. She is Dutch and her maiden name is Fikke, which is in Holland a normal name. In Germany it means to F..:blushing:.. ck. She happily changed her name to Hundertmark when she married my Dad.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I worked in Human Resources and they had people with all sorts of names. The 2 I still remember were, Twanna Flucker and Ben Gay.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I went with an unusual name for my DD... Her name is Clairece (as in Silence of the Lambs).. I guess it isn't unusual, just uncommon.

You spelled it very differently!

I know a girl whose first name is Lovely. It does fit her, because she IS lovely, lol... but I can imagine she may have been made fun of for it as a child. "So lovely to meet you, Lovely!" ... or people thinking that she was describing herself instead of introducing herself...

My maiden name is Brandi, which was incredible awkward for multiple reasons. Kids in school used to always think they were clever and call me an alcoholic, but even worse was the fact that Brandi is a first name. So I was very rarely called by my first name in school, and that includes college. Teachers/professors see the last name written first, somehow assume that it got mixed up, and then call me "Brandi" for as long as they know me. I stopped correcting them- my friends used to do it for me!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I'm all for original names but nothing too strange
    My kid sare 6 and 7...seems lots of the girls in my daughter's class have different or more masculine names

Girls
    Brodie
    Devon
    Dillon
    The only original boys name I could think of from the kid's school is
    Roman
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    My first name is not normal & I married a guy with a polish last name lol My kids all have "normal" names ;)

My mom is a retired nurse & one time she was working at a hospital in New Orleans when a lady came in labor. After the baby was born she delivered the placenta. She asked my mom what is that? My mom told her......the lady named her baby girl Placenta because she thought it was a pretty name :X we had the birth announcement in the paper until the hurricane lol
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Went to school with a Gavin Gavin. My son and daughter in law were going to call their daughter Paige Marie. Lovely, but as our surname is Thornton she would have been PMT. So it's Ellie Marie lol. Use to work with a couple of African guys called termination and millionaire.
  • mytwobabies
    mytwobabies Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Went to high school with a guy named Tim Morrow.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    I know someone with 3 kids under 4. They are named Florence, Fleur and Fletcher.

I also know someone with 6 kids, named Kurtis, Keely, Kian, Keira, and some other K names!

The father has 3 brothers, and all 4 of them have names starting with G that are 5 letters long each!
    My sons name is Fletcher. He's 13 and seems to like the uniqueness of it.

I once knew a girl with the last name of Booty.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My kids have "normal names". 2 girls: Danni Leigh and Leeyah Makayle.