Strange names

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    My mom just spelled our names differently...Alaina, Carrah, Gillian...nothing is more annoying than when people pronounce the 'G' wrong. Not to mention my middle name is Ricki (my dad's name is richard, I was the last chance to be a boy and it didn't work)...I still get teased lol
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Oh forgot this one...A tale my favourite teacher told us, he took a 3 year sabbatical when he first qualified to somewhere in Africa to teach and one of the women in the mud hut village he was staying in named her twins in his honour, one she called Kellogs and the other one Cornflakes...He used to fill his cases with them each time he went out and practically lived on them with fresh goats milk, The mother liked the colourful box and the babies were born as the c0ckeral was crowing...voila! So apparently somewhere in Africa there are 35(ish) year olds sporting those names.

Us kids loved that teacher, he carried his guitar everywhere and always use to break into song...our parents however were not so keen on the bearded hippie!

Edited because c0ckeral was starred out! :huh:
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    When my son was a baby, I was in the waiting room of the doctor's office to get him some immunizations. They started calling back patients and one of the names they called out sounded like "Ab-suh-DEE." So a woman stood up with her baby and started to head back. Another mom stopped her and made a comment about how people these days were picking such weird names, and asked her how to spell her baby's name. The answer....Abcde. Yes, the baby's name was Abcde, pronounced "Ab-suh-DEE."

Sad to say that wasn't even the first time I heard the name. I had a co-worker whose friend also named her kid Abcde.
  • ♥jewel♥
    ♥jewel♥ Posts: 839
    Options
    I know a family of 5 girls

Tara, Tiffany, Teghan, Tessa and .....

For the life of me I can't remember the 5th name.

The all looks exactly alike - tall, blonde and built like 12 year old boys (which is to say gangly)
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I know a family of 5 girls

Tara, Tiffany, Teghan, Tessa and .....

For the life of me I can't remember the 5th name.

The all looks exactly alike - tall, blonde and built like 12 year old boys (which is to say gangly)

Hey, My middle Daughter's name is Tara and she does not look like a 12 year old boy.
  • robyn12770
    robyn12770 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Marry Christmas & Harry Pitts
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have neighbors/friends whose names are Jonda and Alrick (they are married).
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    First name Fancy, last name Leigh (pronounced LAY). Then my all time favorite Ida La' Damann
  • Ren0913
    Ren0913 Posts: 58
    Options
    In my family my siblings and I are "Brianne, Bethany, Brenna, and Brantley" Not too weird but still, different. 3 girls 1 boy.
    My church calls all of us girls Brianna. Guess it covers us all. lol

Two generations of same first letter names. lol
    My mom and her siblings are "Mary, Melissa, Murick, and Matt" 2 girls 2 boys.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Nevaeh. I really dislike that name. "It's Heaven spelled backwards" and? If you like heaven then name them heaven. I'm not about to name my kid "Dog" because it's "God" backwards. A weird one is ****head, it is pronounced "Sha-theed" but we all know how we'd pronounce it. There is someone around here that named there kid something like Princess Drama Muffin...yeah. Yeah they went there. Also, my friends Grandmother renamed herself Blue Butterfly Lady.

Agrees with the Heaven thing, its a pretty name but my daughters best friends name is Heaven and she hates it , think of it from a teen or 20 something girl perspective and the boys start singing Heaven by Warrant lol "heaven isnt too far away, get closer to it every day" or I wanna be in heaven? seriously think names through.

I remembered I also grew up with guy named Tucker Moore, you know where that name went lol.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    My oldest daughter went to prom with a guy named Richard Wacker. Think about it.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I know a guy who's first name is Justin, middle name Case

I knew a a guy named Justin Other Oche. He was the tenth child.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Some of these are really funny. The Abcde totally cracked me up.
    I really like uncommon names. My daughter's name is Aixah, pronounced Ah-ix-sah. Some people have the hardest time pronouncing it. Her pedi calls her 'Ajax', yes like the cleaning detergent :noway:
    My son is Jonah. Simple, no? Ask me why I get Jonas and Johnathan All.The.Time.
  • TammyLanham
    TammyLanham Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My daughter is named Appolonya Gabrielle and my son is Robert Dylan (Bob Dylan)...
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I came across strange names all the time in my past job. Keep in mind they are all real. Here's just a few...

Chinnette- Really? You named you kid after a paper plate?
    Diamonique- "My parents thought so much of me that they named me after a fake gem!"
    Penny Cherry - enough said.
    Penny Profitt
    Harry Glasscock- Harry's parent need to be tared and feathered.

Maybe I'm a magnet for the strange names because my parents gave me strange initials... D.A.M.U. And yes, I got in trouble in school if I used them.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    My friend from the next town over where I grew up had a classmate named "Gilbert Gilbert Gilbert" I kid you not

Where I work I have to input names of high school students- One of them was "Ocean Waves" Dead serious

Also have seen "Cinnamon"

And not to mention normal names where parents try to create a "unique", AKA jacked up, way to spell it, not even coming close to making it look readable
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    My daughter has a classmate named Catfish.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Oh, I forgot, there's a eye doctor in Dayton with the name Park A. Studabaker.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I knew a Summer Storm in highschool. She always said that when she'd get pulled over, the cop would always think she was making it up to avoid getting a ticket, lol.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    ooohhhhhhhh, i have many! i work in health in new zealand and there's so many different cultures here that sometimes things don't cross over properly.
    like the twins called 'marlay' and 'femarlay' (spelled 'male' and 'female'), and 'benson' and 'hedges'.
    there's a family with kids with shocking names- twins shaqueena and shaquina, passion, playah, pride and the baby called pain (because giving birth hurt, apparantly).
    then there's a-three (named after his uncle!)
    there's a girl in my kids daycare whose first name is passion, but surname fruit (i kid you not).
    o, and george washington, abraham lincoln and a host of others that remain in the recesses of my mind in the :"WTF"' file.

someone here tried to call their kid 'sexfruit', and there was another they tried to call 'number13busstop' (in the tradition of London, Brooklyn, etc).

my kids are called emma, eddie and katie- which is pretty far out over here!