If you think you gained muscle... Read this.

Options

Replies

• nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I hate it when people think that a lb of muscle weighs more than a lb of fat.

It does, because muscle is denser than fat.

No no no no no - a pound of fat and a pound of muscle will always weight the same ONE POUND, it may take up less room but it weighs exactly the same. Just as a pound of lead and a pound of feathers weigh one pound but take up vastly different amounts of room.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    by no means did i mean to come off sarcastic. i was seriously stating that what was said was possible. thats all.

L
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    by no means did i mean to come off sarcastic. i was seriously stating that what was said was possible. thats all.

Looking good and it's clear you've been working hard. Yes, opposed to the old gym wisdom that you can't gain muscle while losing fat, we now know differently, but as the OP noted, it's not the most effective way for folks to dramatically add bulk/strength.

Good "trainer 101" information and glad the OP stated it, as its a good reminder to folks (or primer to others) about how "volume" is important. We trainers may break up and vary routines over time, but we don't lose sight of volume. Every day, after I finish training my clients, I enter all of their lifting data (reps/weight/sets) into a system I created that kicks out a volume number. Then I know where to set the next workout's numbers need to be. For those of you who aren't familiar with this, it's simple.

Volume (total pounds lifted) = weight (of what you're lifting) x repetitions (how many times you moved that weight in a set) x sets. E.g., If you lift 10 pounds ten times, rest, and then do that same thing two more times, the math is like this (10 x 10 x 3 = 300 pounds). Since you want to keep improving your volume (the 300 pound number), then you can up any of the elements (weight, reps or sets). The point is that you want to slowly but consistently push that volume number up. It makes a big difference.

The only thing I'd have to disagree with here is the notion that lifting a lighter weight for many repetitions yields much in the way of results. Generally speaking, without getting overly complicated, pushing harder for the average person, results in better results (building or retaining lean muscle mass, and building strength). But that's kind of the rule that fits most things in life, isn't it? :tongue:

Good post, OP. Thanks!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post!
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I was wondering about that. Now I just have to find out what setting I should put (range in carbs, calories etc.)so I can tone a bit. I always eat back my calories after workout. Is that enough?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    You, sir, have made my day. That is all.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Thank you! I hate it when people think that a lb of muscle weighs more than a lb of fat.

No no no no no - a pound of fat and a pound of muscle will always weight the same ONE POUND, it may take up less room but it weighs exactly the same. Just as a pound of lead and a pound of feathers weigh one pound but take up vastly different amounts of room.

STOP THIS! Of course it does, because you are comparing measurements of weight against measurements of weight. You need to have both a variable and a constant. i.e. comparing the weight of two volumes/areas, etc…
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Just because you can see it now doesn’t mean that you gained it.

agreed.

I did gain a bit of muscle while cutting fat when i FIRST started lifting. For the first year or so, your body is able to do this.
    After that, unless you're using an anabolic compound, it's pretty much one or the other. You aren't going to do both at once.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I beleive he missread the "a lb of muscle weighs the same as a lb of fat." and thought the person said that muscle and fat weight the same. Which they don't muscle, because it is denser weighs more than fat.

Saying muscle and fat weight the same is like saying butter and carrots have the same caloric content because 100 calories of butter = 100 calories of carrots, which is true, but misses the point of the fact that butter is more calories dense than carrots.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I'm pretty sure I gained a few pounds of muscle at the Cheesecake Factory last weekend. Your "data" and "science" are cramping my style.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

I beleive he missread the "a lb of muscle weighs the same as a lb of fat." and thought the person said that muscle and fat weight the same. Which they don't muscle, because it is denser weighs more than fat.

Saying muscle and fat weight the same is like saying butter and carrots have the same caloric content because 100 calories of butter = 100 calories of carrots, which is true, but misses the point of the fact that butter is more calories dense than carrots.

Thanks. I did miss read... just saw that. I apologize to anyone I yelled at on this topic.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

Good analogy.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I'm pretty sure I gained a few pounds of muscle at the Cheesecake Factory last weekend. Your "data" and "science" are cramping my style.

:laugh: :laugh: :happy:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

splitting hairs.

If you mean "by volume" - then, yes.

Exactly.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Good analogy.

I stole that from someone but they use chocolate and carrots. Not my original idea, sad to say.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I also dislike when people say the gained weight because they "gained muscles". If it were that easy, we'd all look like Mr. Olympia in a few months!
  • sdickman
    sdickman Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    BUMP
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

HELL YEAH! CHEESECAKE MUSCLE!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    This was really interesting. And somewhat of a relief to read. I'm always paranoid i'm going to bulk up like a man-hulk if I do too much strength exercise!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

NO

BAD LOGIC!

1lb=1lb=1lb

doesn't matter what it is, one pound ALWAYS equals one pound.

That established, because of DENSITY, 1 lb or fat takes up more space than 1 lb of muscle. However, THEY WEIGH THE SAME.

/rant