How did you come up with your goal weight?....

Options
124»

Replies

• Kassul
    Kassul Posts: 16
    Options
    Figured out approximately how much fat I had in my body, figured out how much weight I'd need to lose to get my bodyfat% down to a lean(but healthy) level.
    That became my goal weight (for now).

Ultimately I plan on gaining much of this weight back, but while maintaining a lean(ish) bodyfat %.
    Initial cut, then slow & gradual bulk, then maybe cut a couple kg at the end, then maintain. Such is the plan right now anyway
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It was the weight I was at my lowest.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I picked the lowest weight I remember weighing back in high school, 140 lbs. It's towards the upper end of the healthy BMI range for my height.

However, at the rate I'm shedding sizes I may need to evaluate a little sooner than that. I'm only 5'4", 218.6 lbs as of this morning, and only about 5 lbs out of size 14, so I think I must have a fair bit more muscle mass than I thought I did. The whole way along, I'm going to be seeing how I look in the mirror and how fit I feel. If I'm in a size 8 or 10 at 160 lbs and feel fantastic, I'll stop there. If I get to 140 lbs and I'm still flabby, I'll probably switch to working on lowering body fat instead of losing lbs.
  • emandbri
    emandbri Posts: 45
    Options
    I picked the lowest weight I remember weighing back in high school, 140 lbs. It's towards the upper end of the healthy BMI range for my height.

However, at the rate I'm shedding sizes I may need to evaluate a little sooner than that. I'm only 5'4", 218.6 lbs as of this morning, and only about 5 lbs out of size 14, so I think I must have a fair bit more muscle mass than I thought I did.

Wow, you are very muscular! I'm 5' 10" 193 and size 16!
  • andyj1984
    andyj1984 Posts: 76
    Options
    For me the plan is to be at the top-end of the 'normal' BMI range. Though I would settle for a few pounds more than that, since I do have quite a large frame, and am never going to be (or want to be) skinny.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    At first I picked a number that was still considered obese! Then I changed it to an actual healthy number, and got motivation from a site that projected when I would be that weight.

Looking forward to August 2012!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I've just guessed at 4 stones down - but my goal weight is whatever I am happy with, when I'm happy with my clothing on me and when I am happy inside. Don't know what number that will be. But as an estimate I'm guessing at a UK size 14 ish.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options

However, at the rate I'm shedding sizes I may need to evaluate a little sooner than that. I'm only 5'4", 218.6 lbs as of this morning, and only about 5 lbs out of size 14, so I think I must have a fair bit more muscle mass than I thought I did. The whole way along, I'm going to be seeing how I look in the mirror and how fit I feel. If I'm in a size 8 or 10 at 160 lbs and feel fantastic, I'll stop there. If I get to 140 lbs and I'm still flabby, I'll probably switch to working on lowering body fat instead of losing lbs.
    Gosh a size 14? Thats amazing!! I'm 213.5, 5' 4" and a UK size 18. I think a dress size for me seems to be around the 2 stone mark.

This is me atthe moment: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150573082785431.671089.587230430&l=d16d646cfe Down the bottom are some full length pics.
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    Clothing sizes don't really mean much. I am currently wearing sizes 10, 12, 14, and 16, none of which is too large or too tight. For most purposes, I would consider myself to be in the lower half of the 14 range.
    Actually, I should say, "for most clothing in the price range I buy, I am in the lower half of the 14 range."
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I picked just inside the healthy weight range for my height, 145. Then I figured I'd see how I feel and possibly go down to 135, or 130.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My original goal weight was the weight I was at my wedding, I was very happy with it. (ps, hit my original goal weight this weekend!). However, I still have a lot of fluff. My coworker is the same heights me with a rocking body. So my new goal weight is where she is around her weight. May adjust when I get there though.
  • 54fevers
    54fevers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I picked 135 because I knew that that would be skinny enough for me (I'm 5'10)
    but I may change it to 140-150, depending on how I look when I get there.
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    I picked the low end of the healthy BMI range for my height, so that I'd have a little wiggle room without running the risk of heading back into the overweight range. I've also visited sites like Model Mayhem and My Body Gallery, where I plug in my height and my goal weight (and bra size on Model Mayhem) and the majority of the people with those numbers look "just right" to me.

Obviously, that's all speculative superficial stuff and the weight I decide to start maintaining at will ultimately be just whatever I feel healthiest at, of course. :)
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I had originally made my goal weight 10 more than my current goal weight but then remember i weighed that much in middle school (i've only grown an inch in 7 years) and was unhappy with how i looked so 125 is my goal at 5ft 3 when i get there we'll see if i want to lose more Btw i had orignally be using myfitnesspal without an account and when i created an account it got rid of all that info
    Starting weight was 182 not 153

6148478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter