FireRunners (C25K May 9th group) Week 1!!

Options

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I just happened to start C25K today, so I'd love to join the group!

I use an app for my iPhone, which I found motivating b/c halfway through I sorta felt like stopping but then I remembered that if I completed it then it would post to Facebook and I'd get encouragement from all my FB friends. So, that kept me going. Now this can keep me going!

When does runner's high kick in? LOL

Hahaha I'm not sure... I wouldn't call what I had a "high," just a boost of energy afterwards... But I was in so much pain from soreness that I had to take ibuprofen, soooo... :tongue: Guess it'll take a while haha! Welcome! :smile:
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    I just finished day one. I didn't do much on the running. I tried, but in the 3rd round, it turned into just a faster walk than the walking rounds. I will keep at it though. I love the support of this group!
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    Just a note: This thread is here for you as long as you are on this particular "week," whether it be just one week or up to 6 weeks+. The point of this is to keep moving :) If you can't do it perfectly right off the bat, keep plugging away until you do!
  • wildmustng87
    Options
    Week 1 Day 1 done!! I couldn't run the full 60seconds on the last couple runs, but I did my best and it gives me something to work for on wednesday! I feel good!

Look for a Timex one on line, it sells for $38 at my local Best Buy and is a good one I hear! Has a chest strap. Also check ebay, I bet you could get one on there cheap

Thanks! I forgot about Best Buy, I actually have a rewards certificate that I need to use before it expires! I'll go check them out!
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm now convinced I need a HRM. I'm buying one tomorrow.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Im in.
    I did my week 1 day 1. It went really good. I was able to run the when it wanted me to. Yea. Im excited for Wednesday run.
  • Makers72
    Makers72 Posts: 65
    Options
    Completed w1d1 yesterday, it seemed fairly easy (though quad feels worked). Six months ago I was running three miles a few times a week, but patella tendonitis and 30 lbs later..... Lol. One thing I would recommend to those who thought it was too easy during the ninety second walk, make sure you are almost speed walking, or just reduce speed from the run to a very slow 90 second jog. I probably completed around 1.5 miles plus a very slow half mile jog at the end. Keep er rolling guys! I just have to watch my knees! (tendonitis is the devil!)

Equipment used: droid x with c25k light (free app) + pandora/winamp
  • Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't get time to do day 1 yesterday so I will be doing it tonight after work. I did get in other exercise but then got a phonecall along the lines of 'hey, why are you late for rehearsal?' just as I was pulling my running shoes on. Ooops!!
  • utgirl1172
    utgirl1172 Posts: 12
    Options
    I didn't get a chance to start yesterday..my boyfriend leaves this morning to go out of the country so spending time with him yesterday was more important. I'm going as soon as I drop him off at the airport..I figured it make help me feel better..work outs always do!! Have a great day everyone!! I love this group so much motivation and encouragement!
  • breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Great Job Everyone! For those who will be starting today....May the wind be at your back and not your front! :laugh:
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    It's okay if you didn't get a chance to do it yesterday, there are no written laws here about when you HAVE to do things. Technically you don't have to walk on your in between days either (I'm thinking I might do strength training today instead and let my running muscles recover for tomorrow). Thanks for checking in, guys! Can't wait for my next C25K day tomorrow :)
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Did week1 day 1 this morning. I'll to it again tomorrow to catch up to those who started yesterday. and then I'll take a day to let those muscles rest. It was harder than I thought it would be! I may need to find another route that doesn't have as many large hills. Those are the toughest to run.
  • maryff
    maryff Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join in?
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    Did week1 day 1 this morning. I'll to it again tomorrow to catch up to those who started yesterday. and then I'll take a day to let those muscles rest. It was harder than I thought it would be! I may need to find another route that doesn't have as many large hills. Those are the toughest to run.

Good job on finishing day 1 :smile: But, whatever you do, DO NOT do it again tomorrow to catch up! You need to rest all of your muscles from the run. Today will be my first day too...I'm doing it on Tues. Thurs. Sat. this week and I'll change it next week. I'm pretty sure ther's a few more of us who are doing it on that schedule this week too so no need to worry :bigsmile:
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Good job on finishing day 1 :smile: But, whatever you do, DO NOT do it again tomorrow to catch up! You need to rest all of your muscles from the run. Today will be my first day too...I'm doing it on Tues. Thurs. Sat. this week and I'll change it next week. I'm pretty sure ther's a few more of us who are doing it on that schedule this week too so no need to worry :bigsmile:

You're probably right. My hip joint is really hurting too for some reason. Probably should just take a day. At least I know I have a buddy on the same day :)
  • utgirl1172
    utgirl1172 Posts: 12
    Options
    Just completed my first workout!! It was awesome!! I can already feel my ankles not liking me but I expected that..you get used to it after so many surgeries on them but I really feel awesome!!
  • Makers72
    Makers72 Posts: 65
    Options
    Im no "expert" but i do know from basic knowledge that for every 3-5 days of running per week, you need to set aside atleast 2 days where you do completely no running. The first week of C25k is basically a slimmed down sprinters routine, so one or two days of a long slow job per week (or for most of us, a long slow WALK) would be beneficial. Just dont do anymore type of fast running that what the first week reccommends, you should be getting a decent workout sprint wise if you are really pushing yourself on the 60 second run intervals.

And if you are sore (especially in your joints) Ice 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off once an hour for three hours :), and an aleve wouldnt hurt either ;) haha
  • luvs_choc8
    luvs_choc8 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Hello All. I am on week 3 day 1 and was wondering if I could join the group. I am sure many of you will catch up and pass me but that is ok. I just go one day at a time.
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    It's not too late to join until May 23. On that day I will close membership. Anyone not in the group yet would probably have a lot of trouble catching up anyway, so they'll have to start their own group then :wink:
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    W1D1 Complete! I found it a bit easy, hardly broke a sweat :sad: but, I have been running for awhile so I know that's why. I did my walk/run on my treadmill on a 1% incline. I walked at 3.5 for my warm up and then I alternated between 4.0 (walking) and 6.5 (running)