FireRunners (C25K May 9th group) Week 1!!

Options

Replies

• Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    I would like to join in. I did W1D1 on Tuesday and will do D2 tonight after work.
    Any suggestions on a podcast for C25K? I have iPod Nano, 3rd gen so apps are out and the podcast I have is an annoying computerized voice with no music!! I find the silence makes me keep thinking "is it time to walk yet?"

What kind of music do you prefer? There's a hip hop/rap/pop podcast at http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/ and there is a rock podcast at http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/.

You can also google couch to 5k podcast and tons of stuff pops up.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    W1D2 didnt go good for me. So Im going to do it again. Today I will run. How can I get it in my head that its ok and Im not tired. All that mental stuff. Any ideas will help1
  • Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    W1D2 didnt go good for me. So Im going to do it again. Today I will run. How can I get it in my head that its ok and Im not tired. All that mental stuff. Any ideas will help1

11 Mental Tips to Improve You Run: http://www.active.com/women/Articles/11-Mental-Tips-to-Improve-Your-Running.htm?cmp=17-7-625
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    W1D2 didn't go so well for me either. I did it, but I felt like I was running on fumes. But, I guess running is like everything else, some days are better than others...
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Day 3, and I feel much better than I did on Wednesday. I FINALLY got good sleep so it was at least bearable haha. I ended up walking/running 2.45 km in 24:39 and burning 340 cals according to my trusty HRM :smile: Great job so far everybody!
  • lucky723
    lucky723 Posts: 52
    Options
    is it too late to join the group?? Just started running/walking again this week trying to get off this baby weight so that the scale doesn't continue to climb anymore.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    So I am out for at least a week, this bite is on the back of my knee and I tear it open every time I move bend my knee or straighten, not to mention swelling! But I will be back next Wed. I hope and will repeat week 1 I think as I am not a good runner in the first place! On a good note I lost weight still this week!
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    Try not to repeat weeks or days. If we all are doing week one correctly, we will all be winded and tired (when it says run, RUN!)

I did this program a few years ago, the first week i didnt push myself and it seemed very easy, well as i got to later weeks it kicked my butt because i didnt try hard enough in the earlier weeks.

I feel like this is right, at least for me. I'm getting through the jogging sections fine now (well, not "fine"... but I'm getting through them every time lol) so I have no excuse not to move on haha. :smile: Those that need to stay in week 1 can stay in this thread as long as you need, but those who are ready to move on I will make a new thread for.

I will also post my updated list, and I have a feeling I've missed a few people... Let me know ASAP and I will fix it.

Link to Week 2 thread-- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/239631-firerunners-c25k-may-9th-group-week-2
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Can someone post the actual plan on here for me? I'm at work and can't access the links. I am thinking of doing this program. Thanks!!
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    3 days a week for 9 weeks.

Week 1
    1.1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
    1.2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
    1.3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
    Week 2
    2.1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
    2.2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
    2.3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
    Week 3
    3.1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
    Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
    Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)
    3.2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
    3.3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
    Week 4
    4.1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
    Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
    Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
    Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
    4.2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    4.3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    Week 5
    5.1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
    5.2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
    Walk 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
    5.3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog two miles (or 20 minutes) with no walking.
    Week 6
    6.1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    6.2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
    Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
    6.3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2-1/4 miles (or 25 minutes) with no walking.
    Week 7
    7.1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).
    7.2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).
    7.3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).
    Week 8
    8.1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).
    8.2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).
    8.3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).
    Week 9
    9.1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).
    9.2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).
    9.3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).
  • Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I was all geared up for starting week 1 this week but a million things got in the way so I'm hoping to start on Monday :)
  • x_sotonguetied
    Options
    alright alright alriiiight!

W1D3 complete! and i finally got outside, and it was really nice.

have been REALLY lazy about my in-between days working out. as in i haven't been doing anything at all, yiikes. will definitely pick that up more next week lol

keep up the great work everyone! stay strong :)
  • Margot18904
    Margot18904 Posts: 48
    Options
    W1 D3 complete here too, and it felt really good! I went out with my dad today, who runs quite a lot, but he stuck to the timings with me and it was really nice to have some company and more encouragement. Definitely felt easier than the last two sessions so I'm not worried about the 90 second runs in the next week now. W2 D1 on Sunday for me, podcast at the ready!
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    I don't know...I think if you need to repeat weeks, its all good. Running isn't just hard on the heart, but hard on the body. And everyone's situation is so different. It depends on whether you're running on a treadmill, on a track, on a concrete sidewalk, how heavy you are, how out of shape you are, whether your form is decent....the first time I tried running (years ago), I was *really* heavy, really out of shape, went running on a concrete sidewalk, and didn't listen to my body (I was young and thought I could take it)...and, surprise, suprise, I ended up hurting my knees, which not only stopped my running career, but my walking career for a few months. If it takes you 12 weeks instead of 9, what are you losing? As long as you keep going, your pace is your own to choose. I'm going to try my damnest to keep on track, but if I falter, I'm going to keep on going!
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    I don't know...I think if you need to repeat weeks, its all good. Running isn't just hard on the heart, but hard on the body. And everyone's situation is so different. It depends on whether you're running on a treadmill, on a track, on a concrete sidewalk, how heavy you are, how out of shape you are, whether your form is decent....the first time I tried running (years ago), I was *really* heavy, really out of shape, went running on a concrete sidewalk, and didn't listen to my body (I was young and thought I could take it)...and, surprise, suprise, I ended up hurting my knees, which not only stopped my running career, but my walking career for a few months. If it takes you 12 weeks instead of 9, what are you losing? As long as you keep going, your pace is your own to choose. I'm going to try my damnest to keep on track, but if I falter, I'm going to keep on going!

Great words, I agree completely. Personally I'm going to try moving on but if I find that Monday is just hell for me I'll go back to Week 1. But those who are much heavier than me I would definitely NOT advise to move on if they don't think they can handle it. You're the only one that knows you!
  • SLIM195
    SLIM195 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yey! I completed Week 1, Day 2, this morning.
  • melleyd
    Options
    Thank you Haley!
  • melleyd
    Options
    3 days a week, I can definitely do this! I'm in!!! But I'll be starting behind everyone else. I have the app on my phone so that's cool, I won't need to have a stopwatch on or anything.
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    3 days a week, I can definitely do this! I'm in!!! But I'll be starting behind everyone else. I have the app on my phone so that's cool, I won't need to have a stopwatch on or anything.

You're very welcome! Several people will still be on week 1, so you won't be alone :smile: And the phone app is a lifesaver, although mine tends to want me to warm up longer than 5 minutes :tongue: And it gets "jog" and "walk" mixed up EVERY SINGLE TIME lol. But overall, it's very helpful!
  • Makers72
    Makers72 Posts: 65
    Options
    Yes definitely eat something! It is essential to get your blogs sugar up a little bit. It can be dangerous if your levels get low. Eat small though, like a little cup of sauce, or a hand full of pretzels, or some dry cereal.