FireRunners (C25K May 9th group) Week 1!!

Options

Replies

• breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    How far do you all think you go in the 30 minutes? I was thinking of going up to tanning salon for my run tonight, 2.17 miles. Is this too far?
  • BeesKnees123
    Options
    Just reposting my question; :blushing:

I'm still sore from running monday (and then yardwork yesterday)... Should I still try to do day two today? Thanks!
    [/quote}

I would. But I'd be very slow about it and if anything starts to hurt. Stop. By hurt I mean ankles, shins,
    that sort of thing. You may find that the run/walk you do today will help with the muscle soreness.
    Don't forget a nice long warm-up (10" walk) and warm-down with stretching.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Just reposting my question; :blushing:

I'm still sore from running monday (and then yardwork yesterday)... Should I still try to do day two today? Thanks!

Just my opinion... I say yes. The 5-minute warmup should loosen you up, and I actually have found that MORE exercise helps the soreness ease (not heavy weight strength training, but get-your-body-moving cardio), whereas extra rest just makes me feel achier.

That being said, if the soreness turns into actual pain while running, then stop. You don't want to hurt yourself.

Let us know what you decide! :)
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    How far do you all think you go in the 30 minutes? I was thinking of going up to tanning salon for my run tonight, 2.17 miles. Is this too far?

In week 1? There's only 8 total minutes of running in the 30 minutes in week one... But if you're walking is really brisk, then you should at least get close. (Unless you have short, stubby legs like me, in which case, you might need an extra 5 minutes to get there! :P )
  • luvs_choc8
    luvs_choc8 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with 4milesat40 and think you should do your walk/run today and you may actually be surprised how the stiffness disappears once you start but again if the stiffness turns to pain then you need to slow down or even stop.
  • wildmustng87
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I will try to do day two tonight, even if I just speed-walk if I can't jog. I think the digging yesterday is what really did me in!! I'll post again afterwards and let you know how it goes!
  • breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    W1D2 Done!!! Keep up the good work!
  • Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    Week 1 Day 2 complete! Yay!

Did the treadmill today and it was sooo much easier than running in the pollen infested, hilly neighborhood that's behind my apartment. :happy:
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    W2D1 completed today.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Great work everybody, and good luck to everyone doing it tomorrow!
  • htuzzi324
    htuzzi324 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't get my run in today because the little guy didn't want to sleep last night, so I had zero energy today. Hoping to get up tomorrow early and get going!
  • x_sotonguetied
    Options
    QUESTION FOR YOU ALL!

i really want to run outside when i can, since, 5K's are generally outside lol.

i was just wondering if you outside runners still go out even when it's 80-90 degrees outside?

because with summer coming that's going to be a little hard to avoid :)

thanks!!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    QUESTION FOR YOU ALL!

i really want to run outside when i can, since, 5K's are generally outside lol.

i was just wondering if you outside runners still go out even when it's 80-90 degrees outside?

because with summer coming that's going to be a little hard to avoid :)

thanks!!

I would suggest going early in the morning or late in the evening. Usually when I go in the morning it's about 70 degrees out or less :)
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Week 2 Day 2 Finished!! Yea!
  • saphire76
    saphire76 Posts: 102
    Options
    Try not to repeat weeks or days. If we all are doing week one correctly, we will all be winded and tired (when it says run, RUN!)

I did this program a few years ago, the first week i didnt push myself and it seemed very easy, well as i got to later weeks it kicked my butt because i didnt try hard enough in the earlier weeks.

I understand not repeating weeks but can I do more than 3 days? That's not enough fitness for me. I've done 3 days so far.
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Day 1 done. Got a late start on the week; but, I'll git 'er done by Sunday!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Not part of your group... I was once one of you though, a beginning runner. Seems like so long ago... really it was only three years.

Hopefully I can give you a little encouragment and I'd like to commend all of you on joining and taking these first steps... Great Job! It may seem difficult at first... but it does get better and then it gets much better! :smile:

When I first started doing the C25K just over three years ago, I couldn't make it down the block. I now chew up half marathons on an almost monthly basis and have completed full marathons as well! This from being 320+ pounds in January 2009... I competed the 2009 Honolulu Marathon the following December.

Just remember, it's 90% mental... Believe in yourself and you'll succeed. The other 10% is physical which brings me to the only caution I have for you.... listen to your body and don't be afraid to back off a little bit. It's ok. Backing off at the first sign of trouble will give you the opportunity to keep trying... not backing off gets you the consolation prize of crutches and icepacks.

Keep working hard! You can do it! Everyday will get better!

Happy Running!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Well i just finished my w1d2. I ran at night with my son. But it was really hard. I didn't do very well, i just couldn't get my head into it. Im going to do day 2 over again. What can i do to get into it. Any ideas.
  • allimax2002
    allimax2002 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! I wanted to report in. I had a really had a bad time on official day one. But I tried again today and I have to say it went much better. I took the advice of a friend about really paying close attention to my breathing. And also the advice of a trainer friend who said run like I'm going to ask you to run this much again. Not sure if that makes sense but what I did the other day was gave my first 60 seconds my all and had nothing left for rest. Which is sad and at the time really discouraging to me.So today I paced myself and concentrated on my breathing and was able to complete Day 1 on a do over! Now mind you my running is more jogging at a pace most of you could walk faster than but oh well.....I DID IT! I finished the task and I feel so good about it!!! I'm so excited to get faster and better.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    @Allimax2002 It's common running advice...

Run slower to go longer. Basically slow down your pace and you will be able to run further and for longer duration.

Every week most distance runners run what is called a Long Slow Run... in my case it is 2:00 per mile off my normal race pace. My normal LSR is 2:40 minutes and about 21 Km (half marathon)

We do this to stretch out our aerobic endurance and prepare us for distance events.

Good for you for sticking with it!