What is your carbs/protein/fat ratio?

Options

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,722 Member
    Options
    My point is that when you look at these percentages, remember that the differences aren't based on a goal of weight loss, but on the needs of the individual body. Weight loss is more about calories. Macronutrient distribution is more about health issues.
    I appreciate your perspective on this. I think sometimes people, in defense of their way of eating, tend to want to put down others' ways, and that saddens and frustrates me. Personally, I don't function well on low carbs or high fat, but if that works for someone else, I have no reason to try to convince them I am "right" and they are "wrong," so I try not to do that. I see it on both sides of nearly any argument or difference of opinion. Of course, not everybody does that, but it happens a lot. It would be refreshing if people could share their ideas and experiences without pooping on someone else's parade.
  • silentpost
    silentpost Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It makes that whole 1200 calorie minimum goal fight we all have seem completely pointless when its obvious we are all doing something wrong...

It is pointless unless you fit that number derived from a huge average of diverse data personally. By personally I mean that 1200 is a number you dialed in specifically to yourself. I remember when 1200 was actually under 1000. Your low number is going to be related to current maintenance calories at any given point in time and be the number at which point your body will start taking protective measures. Remember, we are far from clones of each other so drawing a hard line in the sand like 1200, BMI, only suits a few purposes ..to keep people safe in general, find an average that reasonably indicates healthy, a. Yet, we are similar enough that we will react to things, whether good or bad for us, in a similar manner(Food, Medicine, Toxins, stress, etc..)

When you see higher fat percentages, they still often differ from person to person. I don't even do mine as a ratio to begin with. A ratio is just something the represents a relationship. I set my carbs to how many gram max I want to consume, same for protein, rest of energy need has no other place to fall besides fat. So when I pick 60g carbs, 100g protein, and the rest fat to get the amount of calories I want, it can be expressed as a ratio.

You need to make little changes over time and note the affects, if any. It's life long 'cuz even age will change what you need to do.

This is a very good approach (re: C/P/F ratio [and how I do it as well]).

Don't use the ratios as a crutch. These ratios should be tools to aid in YOUR SPECIFIC journey of weight loss. If something isn't working, don't be afraid to react to these tools, and modify if necessary. my 2p
  • Luvmysixpack
    Options
    I am on a high protien diet so mine looks like this

Cals:1000
    Fat:28
    Carbs 123
    Protien 100

I had a diffent plan for 3 months had involoved more calories and I lost 35 lbs.
    These calculations came from a body scan and a nutritionst.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    50:25:25

These are my results.
    Anyone using high fat have any personal data to show what it does to cholesterol and glucose???

Weight loss, I started in Oct 2010 and am about done (note weekly goal of 1 lb changed to 0.5 lb in April.)

Oct 2010 8 lb
    Nov 2010 8 lb
    Dec 2010 7 lb
    Jan 2011 6 lb
    Feb 2011 3 lb
    Mar 2011 1 lb
    Apr 2011 4 lb

Oct 2010 May 2011
    Weight 194 lb 154 lb
    BMI 28 22

Glucose 136 105
    AIC 6.0 5.8
    Cholesterol 178 168
    HDL 42 62
    LDL 88 88
    Triglycerides 247 95

In total for me (in 6 months):

BMI decreased by 21%
    Glucose decreased 23%
    AIC decreased 3%
    Cholesterol decreased 6%
    HDL increased 48%
    LDL no change
    Triglycerides decreased 62%
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

These are my results.
    Anyone using high fat have any personal data to show what it does to cholesterol and glucose???

Weight loss, I started in Oct 2010 and am about done (note weekly goal of 1 lb changed to 0.5 lb in April.)

Oct 2010 8 lb
    Nov 2010 8 lb
    Dec 2010 7 lb
    Jan 2011 6 lb
    Feb 2011 3 lb
    Mar 2011 1 lb
    Apr 2011 4 lb

Oct 2010 May 2011
    Weight 194 lb 154 lb
    BMI 28 22

Glucose 136 105
    AIC 6.0 5.8
    Cholesterol 178 168
    HDL 42 62
    LDL 88 88
    Triglycerides 247 95

BMI decreased by 21%
    Glucose decreased 23%
    AIC decreased 3%
    Cholesterol decreased 6%
    HDL increased 48%
    LDL no change

Those are some good changes. I especially like seeing that HDL increase. Now that it is above 60, you're at a lower risk level for heart disease. Good job! I'm assuming that is carbs/protein/fat? Another couple of numbers you might want to look at are BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen) and Creatinine for kidney function. Because your glucose was up in the diabetes range previously, you may want to keep an eye on your kidneys to see if there was any damage from before you got the glucose under better control.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Just readjusted mine: 5/40/55 Carbs/Protein/Fat

I've been readjusting Carbs/Protein as weight has been dropping to keep carbs under 20-30g and protein at or around .9 x weight, with fat making up the remainder.
    How can you eat only 5% carbs? What about dairy, fruit, veg etc???

We humans don't **NEED** dairy, grains, fruit (in quantities I see eaten on this site)...........we would do fine on eating proteins, lots of vegetables and small portions of fruit.
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    This is a guideline only. This is for weight lifters and athletes where carbohydrates are the main source of energy.

Carbohydrates = 60-65%
    Fats = 15-20%
    Proteins = 15-20%

Fats should include the good kind; Omega 3,6 and 9
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

These are my results.

This is why ratio is misleading. How many calories where you consuming, type of exercise ,and what was your net calories for a typical day?

The blood work indicates a significant carb/carb type change and maybe an increase in insulin sensitivity. Without the other data we don't know what kind of carb load you had and can't gauge if exercise is part of the carb related improvements. Oh any meds?

I don't buy into the mainstream cholesterol thinking but when I did a popular 90 day program with the high carb phases(:noway: 360 grams of carbs at my calorie load:noway: ) my triglycerides got blown out of the water. Just keep in mind that a 10point change in cholesterol could be view as zero change. Test results back to back can differ by surprisingly a lot.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

These are my results.

Oct 2010 8 lb
    Nov 2010 8 lb
    Dec 2010 7 lb
    Jan 2011 6 lb
    Feb 2011 3 lb
    Mar 2011 1 lb
    Apr 2011 4 lb

Oct 2010 May 2011
    Weight 194 lb 154 lb
    BMI 28 22

Glucose 136 105
    AIC 6.0 5.8
    Cholesterol 178 168
    HDL 42 62
    LDL 88 88
    Triglycerides 247 95

BMI decreased by 21%
    Glucose decreased 23%
    AIC decreased 3%
    Cholesterol decreased 6%
    HDL increased 48%
    LDL no change

From what I have read both LDL and HDL go up and triglycerides go down. And when your Tri's are low and HDL is high that LDL number isn't as important. I'm still researching this, though.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    There is no quick fix, you find out what made you fat, and you fix it, end of story.

Ugh... I know your heart’s in the right place so I won’t bit** you out but just a side note I AM NOT FAT. 140lbs, 5'8 BMI 21, BF 22-25% (hand vs foot measurement/machine). I just happened to gain 8 lbs for the first time in my life in 2009 (other than childhood growing obviously) after losing some 2007-2008 also for the first time so it's a rough emotional ride now.
    Sorry, if you took that wrong, but I wasn't talking about you! I was talking about overweight people in general that come on this website looking for help to lose the weight.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    High fat eater here.

My fasting glucose is 62. Total cholesterol is 197 (which is, IMO, a useless number without HDL). I have a scrip for a full blood panel that I need to go take care of in the next week. Then I can answer what a high fat diet does over a long period of time.

My last HDL was in the mid 60s. You want a high HDL, low Triglyceride combination. Hence, why I say total cholesterol is basically meaningless without these.

Blood pressure 100/70.

This isn't really saying much, but I'm pretty confident I'm not a ticking time bomb for cardiac arrest.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    This is a guideline only. This is for weight lifters and athletes where carbohydrates are the main source of energy.

Carbohydrates = 60-65%
    Fats = 15-20%
    Proteins = 15-20%

We don't want to consume Omega 6 as this is bad, bad, bad. Talk about high inflammatory response and worse.
  • PJilly
    Options

Carbohydrates = 60-65%
    Fats = 15-20%
    Proteins = 15-20%

We don't want to consume Omega 6 as this is bad, bad, bad. Talk about high inflammatory response and worse.
    I did some googling around because I don't have any knowledge about this one way or the other. It looks like there's a difference of opinion out there about whether Omega 6 is good or bad. I'd be interested to read some of your sources. Thanks.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    It's more in consuming a proper balance of Omega 3-6-9. Note that supplementing with these is typically not necessary as modern foods tend to be higher in Omega 6.

Here's a good article from the University of Maryland Med Center:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-6-000317.htm
  • PJilly
    Options
    It's more in consuming a proper balance of Omega 3-6-9. Note that supplementing with these is typically not necessary as modern foods tend to be higher in Omega 6.

The Mediterranean diet, on the other hand, has a healthier balance between omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Many studies have shown that people who follow this diet are less likely to develop heart disease. The Mediterranean diet does not include much meat (which is high in omega-6 fatty acids) and emphasizes foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, including whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, olive oil, garlic, as well as moderate wine consumption.

Thank you. That sounds good to me, especially the part about moderate wine consumption. :tongue: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    10% / 25% / 65%
    Carbs / Protein / Fat

WHAT???

Mine are similar to T's.

<5% Carbs/20% Protein/75% Fat

When my body needs a little more energy to heal or train, I up the Protein to 25% and drop Carbs to near 0-2%. This is the GERD/leaky gut protocol to give me the best chance at avoiding surgery on my L.E.S. This protocol is also the state of the art, best science has to offer for managing diabetes, healing insulin resistance, correcting the underlying causes of much of obesity. I also lift Kettlebells and am training to pass the most challenging military entrance physical exam in the world (designed for 18-25 year old males when I am a 44 yo female).

Wish my mom had raised me at 10/20/70, I'd never have gotten ill, suffered as morbidly obese for decades. Glad I have friends that constantly pour over dry science research reports or I'd still weigh 352 lbs.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options

The Mediterranean diet, on the other hand, has a healthier balance between omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Many studies have shown that people who follow this diet are less likely to develop heart disease. The Mediterranean diet does not include much meat (which is high in omega-6 fatty acids) and emphasizes foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, including whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, olive oil, garlic, as well as moderate wine consumption.

Thank you. That sounds good to me, especially the part about moderate wine consumption. :tongue: :drinker: :bigsmile:

I agree with her Jill, it's all about balance (like everything in life! lol) Since I can't eat all grass fed meat and such, I just take fish oil everyday to try and help balance it out.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Wish my mom had raised me at 10/20/70, I'd never have gotten ill, suffered as morbidly obese for decades. Glad I have friends that constantly pour over dry science research reports or I'd still weigh 352 lbs.

WORD!

My 2yo was sick every 5 mins. No joke. I switched her to a diet chocked full of healthy, natural fats, very similar to my own, and SHE HASN'T BEEN SICK SINCE. It's AMAZING!!
  • PJilly
    Options

I agree with her Jill, it's all about balance (like everything in life! lol) Since I can't eat all grass fed meat and such, I just take fish oil everyday to try and help balance it out.
    We all take fish oil here, even the dogs. We also eat our fair share of salmon. How could you live in the Pacific Northwest and not eat lots of salmon? Yum!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post of a topic on this but I guess I can ask here:

How to you work out the percentages?