Options
12346»

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,722 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post of a topic on this but I guess I can ask here:

How to you work out the percentages?
    Not positive what you're asking here. If it's how to figure out what the optimum percentages are, there's a huge range of opinions about that. MFP's default is to set your percentages at 55% carbs, 15% protein, and 30% fat. If you're asking how to change the percentages to something different, you can do that here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals by choosing "Custom" rather than "Guided."
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    50:25:25

These are my results.
    Anyone using high fat have any personal data to show what it does to cholesterol and glucose???

Weight loss, I started in Oct 2010 and am about done (note weekly goal of 1 lb changed to 0.5 lb in April.)

Oct 2010 8 lb
    Nov 2010 8 lb
    Dec 2010 7 lb
    Jan 2011 6 lb
    Feb 2011 3 lb
    Mar 2011 1 lb
    Apr 2011 4 lb

Oct 2010 May 2011
    Weight 194 lb 154 lb
    BMI 28 22

Glucose 136 105
    AIC 6.0 5.8
    Cholesterol 178 168
    HDL 42 62
    LDL 88 88
    Triglycerides 247 95

In total for me (in 6 months):

BMI decreased by 21%
    Glucose decreased 23%
    AIC decreased 3%
    Cholesterol decreased 6%
    HDL increased 48%
    LDL no change
    Triglycerides decreased 62%

Darn, I can't find my blood work results sheet from what I had done a couple months ago... so I can't be sure of exact numbers. I know my doctor saying all my bloodwork was amazing. My glucose I remember was around 70. I know my HDL was really crazy high. But anyway, my numbers are good.

I'm not actively trying to lose weight right now (though I ultimately do want to lose a bit more), just be healthy and work on body image. I'd probably be losing weight if I cut my calories more- but I'm maintaining eating 2000-2500 calories a day, with a 10/30/60 ratio. This ratio is more for my overall health than anything else. And I do work out quite a bit. But, when I was trying to lose weight, I lost 70 pounds in 6 months eating fewer than 50g carbs a day.
  • penmillion
    penmillion Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    (bump to follow)
    I've left my ratios set to the default because I don't know what I'm doing yet. Mostly I'm following calories, and if I have some left over after dinner I may try pick a snack based on whether I'm under on carbs or protein or fat, or just follow my cravings if I think I "need" something in particular.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    We all take fish oil here, even the dogs. We also eat our fair share of salmon. How could you live in the Pacific Northwest and not eat lots of salmon? Yum!

Fish oil is to bring your Omega6 to Omega 3 Ratio down. Opinions vary but keeping at 4:1 or better is considered a good place to be. Most people are many times higher than that and when this balance is too far out of whack, neither Essential Fatty Acid can provide it's function. We need both of those, in the right ratio and we don't need a lot of wither one. Too much Poly Unsaturated Fat(PUFA) is not good for you and it doesn't take much to get there. I read between 2 and 5 percent of calories MAX.

If you managed the ratio via what you eat, Fish Oil is more or less a waste of money
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,722 Member
    Options
    (bump to follow)
    I've left my ratios set to the default because I don't know what I'm doing yet. Mostly I'm following calories, and if I have some left over after dinner I may try pick a snack based on whether I'm under on carbs or protein or fat, or just follow my cravings if I think I "need" something in particular.
    Not everyone agrees with this (I happen to be of the opinion that these guidelines are good and reasonable), but according to the National Academy of Sciences, the acceptable macronutrient distribution ranges for adults (as a percentage of calories) are:

Protein: 10-35%
    Fat: 20-35%
    Carbohydrate: 45-65%

MFP's defaults are within these ranges, but there's plenty of room for tweaking if you want to adjust yours a bit.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    50:25:25

These are my results.
    Anyone using high fat have any personal data to show what it does to cholesterol and glucose???

Weight loss, I started in Oct 2010 and am about done (note weekly goal of 1 lb changed to 0.5 lb in April.)

Oct 2010 8 lb
    Nov 2010 8 lb
    Dec 2010 7 lb
    Jan 2011 6 lb
    Feb 2011 3 lb
    Mar 2011 1 lb
    Apr 2011 4 lb

Oct 2010 May 2011
    Weight 194 lb 154 lb
    BMI 28 22

Glucose 136 105
    AIC 6.0 5.8
    Cholesterol 178 168
    HDL 42 62
    LDL 88 88
    Triglycerides 247 95

In total for me (in 6 months):

BMI decreased by 21%
    Glucose decreased 23%
    AIC decreased 3%
    Cholesterol decreased 6%
    HDL increased 48%
    LDL no change
    Triglycerides decreased 62%

Will post as soon as my results come in the mail. I have self plus 9 diabetic/insulin dependent friends plus one person whose primary problem was very high triglycerides. Each of us had experienced a substantial improvement in our labs in a very short time and 8 have maintained the improvements over several years while 2 of us are newer to our macronutrient distribution. My results so impressed my pcp, he has suggested to his obese and diabetic patients that they check out the resources that lead me to health. This marks a 180 degree change in his previous advice to them.
  • javarushed
    javarushed Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    10c/35p/55f

When I was mainly in fat loss mode, I like to try to get 150g+ protein and to keep my carbs around 50-70. Now I pretty much count calories, try to keep under 100 carbs, 150g+ of protein and I dont really track the fat.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    *Happy dances* Kept my carbs to 10% today!
    fat-- 58%
    carbs-- 10%
    protein-- 32%
  • FitJ1210
    FitJ1210 Posts: 754
    Options
    Bump
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Mine aare 15c/40p/45f. And my reasons are just about the same as many others on here my body burns fat but will not burn sugars.