Diet soda is NOT evil

Options

Replies

• Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I should remove my little grammar nazi symbol for my lack of proofreading.

I have been wondering WTF that was... Thanks for the info too :D
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    1) I drink diet soda regularly. Granted, the flavor of artificial sweeteners is slightly different than genuine sweeteners, but the fuel/calorie content is vastly different. Many people, me included, have acquired a taste for artificial sweeteners. Additionally, all soda is carbonated. So the taste, combined with the carbonation, provide a pleasant and satisfying drink that can satisfy cravings for flavors, but without the negative consequence of ingesting excess fuel. If we take in more fuel/calories than we need, our body stores the excess as body fat.

2) Diet soda has chemicals in it. True. Water is a chemical, one of the purest actually. It is 2 parts hydrogen, and one part oxygen. Elements arranged in that ratio combine to form the chemical water.

3) Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin release in the body. B***L S***T. Insulin is released by the pancreas to regulate and efficiently utilize carbohydrates and fats in our body. These two fuel types need to combine with insulin to either be used or stored. When we consistently over long periods of time **years** take in more fuel than our body needs, the pancreas may get so overworked that it burns out. Consequence: diabetes. Artificial sweeteners have no fuel content. The body's metabolic system is completely indifferent to artificial sweeteners. It is essentially flavoring.

4) Cancer. A very peculiar thing cancer. People seem to be genetically predisposed to growing cancer cells. I've seen people who are addicted to smoking tobacco worry about artificial sweeteners. This is absurd. I've seen people who smoke marijuana buy only organically grown fruits and vegetables. Again, absurd. Breathing in the smoke produced by burning dried plants directly into the lungs will kill you. On a scale from 1 to 1,000 of doing damage to yourself, smoking anything is 900, driving drunk is 980, not obeying a stop sign on a busy street is 450, drinking 10 diet sodas per day is 14, drinking one per day is 2.

5) Diet soda ate through the stomach of some little girl. The carbonation was the culprit. A soda with sugar in it would have done much more damage. My question about this is: follow the money. A lawyer is trying to capitalize on the hysteria surrounding artificial sweeteners to make some cash. I wonder how many regular sodas the kid drank. Digesting excess liquid sucrose irritates the stomach and intestines far more than an artificial sweetener ever could.

I M H O.
  • skinnybitch1987
    Options
    Good god, I don't know what I would do without my coke zero.
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    Wait, what? Diet soda makes you store fat? I was just watching Supersize v Superskinny last night and the severely underweight woman drank like 2 litres of diet soda a day..
    Ah but she seemed to be using it as a food substitute, she was only taking in something like 350 calories a day. Even if it does make you store fat nobody eating that little is going to be anything but stick thin.

Ahhh yeah that's true. Oh well, still gonna drink my diet coke. :drinker:
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    anyone tries to take my pop away from me, i'll bloody kill them!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I will most definitely not try to get anyone to stop drinking diet soda, because, honestly, I'd rather you drink fake sugar than that syrup stuff. Of course, I'd also like to say I much prefer the extremely occasional cane sugar soda to anything else, but that's me.

That being said, I have given up both caffeine and artificial sweetener, at two completely different points in time. I used to drink about a liter of diet soda in a day. That was along with a cup of coffee.

I went decaf for a period of six months in college because I'd started getting bad leg cramps. My initial withdrawl was like a minor, two day tension headache. I eventually just got sick of decaf coffee and the pain of all-night study sessions sans caffeine, so I started up again. I learned that the key is moderation (because coffee, surprisingly enough, is actually good for you in moderation) and lots of water.

I stopped drinking diet soda a couple years ago because the taste finally got to me and everyone started putting Splenda in everything, which makes me hurl (and I only wish I were exaggerating). My initial withdrawl was the worst, most drawn-out migraine I have EVER had in my entire life. It lasted for about three full days. I wanted to die. I swore then and there that I would never consume any artificially sweetened product ever again.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    1) I drink diet soda regularly. Granted, the flavor of artificial sweeteners is slightly different than genuine sweeteners, but the fuel/calorie content is vastly different. Many people, me included, have acquired a taste for artificial sweeteners. Additionally, all soda is carbonated. So the taste, combined with the carbonation, provide a pleasant and satisfying drink that can satisfy cravings for flavors, but without the negative consequence of ingesting excess fuel. If we take in more fuel/calories than we need, our body stores the excess as body fat.

2) Diet soda has chemicals in it. True. Water is a chemical, one of the purest actually. It is 2 parts hydrogen, and one part oxygen. Elements arranged in that ratio combine to form the chemical water.

3) Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin release in the body. B***L S***T. Insulin is released by the pancreas to regulate and efficiently utilize carbohydrates and fats in our body. These two fuel types need to combine with insulin to either be used or stored. When we consistently over long periods of time **years** take in more fuel than our body needs, the pancreas may get so overworked that it burns out. Consequence: diabetes. Artificial sweeteners have no fuel content. The body's metabolic system is completely indifferent to artificial sweeteners. It is essentially flavoring.

4) Cancer. A very peculiar thing cancer. People seem to be genetically predisposed to growing cancer cells. I've seen people who are addicted to smoking tobacco worry about artificial sweeteners. This is absurd. I've seen people who smoke marijuana buy only organically grown fruits and vegetables. Again, absurd. Breathing in the smoke produced by burning dried plants directly into the lungs will kill you. On a scale from 1 to 1,000 of doing damage to yourself, smoking anything is 900, driving drunk is 980, not obeying a stop sign on a busy street is 450, drinking 10 diet sodas per day is 14, drinking one per day is 2.

5) Diet soda ate through the stomach of some little girl. The carbonation was the culprit. A soda with sugar in it would have done much more damage. My question about this is: follow the money. A lawyer is trying to capitalize on the hysteria surrounding artificial sweeteners to make some cash. I wonder how many regular sodas the kid drank. Digesting excess liquid sucrose irritates the stomach and intestines far more than an artificial sweetener ever could.

I M H O.
    I :heart: this response.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I worked at KFC for about 10 years. I saw more people come in and order half a chicken dinner, with mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, a biscuit with butter and honey.... and a small Diet Pepsi. Yeah. The diet Pepsi was really the culprit in their weight gain!

I went from drinking 2 - 3 cans of Coke a day to drinking 2 - 3 cans of Coke Zero a day and dropped 15 pounds within the first 4 months. No other changes - but I cut out that extra 2900 calories a week and really saw the result!

I'll keep drinking my Coke Zero, although I am down to usually a can a day - mostly because I make an effort to drink more water.
  • georgiagorwell
    Options

I M H O.

So here you have claimed that insulin release triggered by artificial sweetener is bull. You then proceed to type a load of words about where insulin comes from. Where is your relevancy to your bulls**t claim?? I already know where it comes from and what it does. I know that insulin isn't released without the presence on carbohydrate. Sugar is a carbohydrate and the body can't tell the difference between a sugar and an artificial sweetener.

As for your rediculous cancer related writing, I suggest you read some recent research. And by research I don't mean wikipedia.
  • georgiagorwell
    Options
    I worked at KFC for about 10 years. I saw more people come in and order half a chicken dinner, with mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, a biscuit with butter and honey.... and a small Diet Pepsi. Yeah. The diet Pepsi was really the culprit in their weight gain!

I went from drinking 2 - 3 cans of Coke a day to drinking 2 - 3 cans of Coke Zero a day and dropped 15 pounds within the first 4 months. No other changes - but I cut out that extra 2900 calories a week and really saw the result!

I'll keep drinking my Coke Zero, although I am down to usually a can a day - mostly because I make an effort to drink more water.

The diet coke along with the sugar and the refined carbs and the processed crap was causing them to be fat. If they ate just the chicken with nothing else no insulin would be released and then the fat from the chicken would not be able to be stored. No carbohydrate = no fat storage. This had been known since before world war two, before Atkins time! This was known by professors at Harvard, but the reason it isn't publicised?? Because a large cereal company donated a large amount of money to the Harvard Science Department...
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    On a scale from 1 to 1,000 of doing damage to yourself, smoking anything is 900, driving drunk is 980, not obeying a stop sign on a busy street is 450, drinking 10 diet sodas per day is 14, drinking one per day is 2.

Do you have a source for this? I'm not questioning you I like it and wanted to repeat it but just wanted to see if this was your estimate/opinion or fact. I suppose since it's a scale you can't really say it's a "fact" but hey... I thought I'd ask.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The diet coke along with the sugar and the refined carbs and the processed crap was causing them to be fat. If they ate just the chicken with nothing else no insulin would be released and then the fat from the chicken would not be able to be stored. No carbohydrate = no fat storage. This had been known since before world war two, before Atkins time! This was known by professors at Harvard, but the reason it isn't publicised?? Because a large cereal company donated a large amount of money to the Harvard Science Department...

So it you eat virtually NO carbs, only fats, protein and no starchy vegetables in whatever quantity you wanted i.e. 3000 cals a day you won't gain weight??? Seems hard to believe but I'm questioning for more info... not for a fight.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

5) Diet soda ate through the stomach of some little girl.

And if you drink soda after eating pop rocks your stomach will explode!!!
  • georgiagorwell
    Options

So it you eat virtually NO carbs, only fats, protein and no starchy vegetables in whatever quantity you wanted i.e. 3000 cals a day you won't gain weight??? Seems hard to believe but I'm questioning for more info... not for a fight.

What you are suggesting here "So if you eat virtually NO carbs, only fats, protein and no starchy vegetables in whatever quantity you wanted" is the basis of the paleo diet. I'd like to see anyone fit 3000kcals worth of fruit, veg and meat in though!!

We are only 330 generations removed from the paleolithics and since the advent of agriculture our genome have only changed 0.005%, we have not evolved to eat what we are producing!
  • soopatodd
    soopatodd Posts: 20
    Options
    I drink about 18 cans per day of diet Pepsi and thats just while Im at work. Once I get home its 1 or 2 two liter bottles as well. I love it and I aint changing nothing!

If we're out at a rtestaurant with fountain pop, it has to be diet coke. Fountain diet pepsi taste like butt!
  • georgiagorwell
    Options
    I drink about 18 cans per day of diet Pepsi and thats just while Im at work. Once I get home its 1 or 2 two liter bottles as well. I love it and I aint changing nothing!

If we're out at a rtestaurant with fountain pop, it has to be diet coke. Fountain diet pepsi taste like butt!

You should submit yourself to be part of a study!
  • solpwr
    Options
    On a scale from 1 to 1,000 of doing damage to yourself, smoking anything is 900, driving drunk is 980, not obeying a stop sign on a busy street is 450, drinking 10 diet sodas per day is 14, drinking one per day is 2.

Do you have a source for this? I'm not questioning you I like it and wanted to repeat it but just wanted to see if this was your estimate/opinion or fact. I suppose since it's a scale you can't really say it's a "fact" but hey... I thought I'd ask.

None of what I posted is fact, just like no one elses in this thread is. I M H O = In My Humble Opinion
  • solpwr
    Options

I M H O.

So here you have claimed that insulin release triggered by artificial sweetener is bull. You then proceed to type a load of words about where insulin comes from. Where is your relevancy to your bulls**t claim?? I already know where it comes from and what it does. I know that insulin isn't released without the presence on carbohydrate. Sugar is a carbohydrate and the body can't tell the difference between a sugar and an artificial sweetener.

As for your rediculous cancer related writing, I suggest you read some recent research. And by research I don't mean wikipedia.

Artificial sweeteners contain no carbohydrates or fat. They are "artificial". The flavor profile is similar. They have been engineered to taste similar to sucrose, but they aren't a carbohydrate like sucrose is.

Sorry I messed up how I posted this.

Just to be clear, I'm not attacking you in any way. I disagree with your point of view. I hope this doesn't offend you.
  • solpwr
    Options

I M H O.

Artificial sweeteners contain no carbohydrates or fat. They are "artificial". The flavor profile is similar. They have been engineered to taste similar to sucrose, but they aren't a carbohydrate like sucrose is.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This is a subject close to my heart. I rarely drink soda's but my husband drinks about 1.5 cases of diet cola every week and I'm so worried about what it's doing to his system. I don't worry about the caffiene, but I do worry about consuming that much artificial sweetener. But what I worry about most is all the other stuff in there. The unpronouncable, unstudied, unnatural crap. I really don't know if all that artifical processed stuff is killing him or not, but I know it's not doing him any good. And I do worry about it. A lot!