who are you voting for?

Options

Replies

• heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Palin / whoever 2012!! :happy:

WhooHoo! She has moxy-I really like her and am very excited to see what she can do as VP!:bigsmile:

Sarah Palin/Condelezza Rice 2012: :heart: Condi Rice!
  • rosemarymint
    rosemarymint Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    McCain/Palin
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

WhooHoo! She has moxy-I really like her and am very excited to see what she can do as VP!:bigsmile:

Holy cow could you imagine that!!! I'd be the first one in line at the polls. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I really struggled with who to vote for as neither one of them really impressed me especially Obama. And I felt like if I voted for any other candidate, my vote would pretty much be for naught because to me it's obvious our next president is going to be either McCain or Obama. Since I couldn't bear to not vote and leave my future up to everyone else to vote, I finally decided to go with McCain. He just shares more of my values than Obama does. Then when McCain chose his running mate, I knew I had made the right choice. I'd vote for Sarah Palin for president!

I would too!! And it sounds like a good plan. Let's face it, while a lot of president's are two-term pres., we all know that if McCain wins, he would only serve one term. Which means Palin will have had enough experience by then to run for presidency herself next term (*crossing fingers*). Wouldn't it be interesting to see Hillary and Palin run against each other? WHOAH! I try not talking politics at all, with anyone, but just had to put my two-cents in on this one.

BTW - I felt exactly the same about struggling with who to vote for too and came up with the same ending as you.

That's so funny! I had to take a second look at your avatar because you sound just like my daughter. Seriously, she mentioned the exact same thing to me yesterday.

All you folks talking about McCain's age and his likelihood of dying in the office...

Did you SEE his mama last night on the RNC? She was SPRY to be 96 years old!!! I dare say she moved faster than I do. She was something else.
    He comes from good genetics. He will last a couple decades longer, and if not, I'll be happy to have Sarah Palin step up to the plate.

I'll be voting McCain/Palin
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I really want to like Obama. I've been trying to like him for the past year because his speeches are so intriguing....but I can't like him. I feel like his speeches have little substance and rely fully on charisma.
    I'm a moderate with both liberal views and conservative views but my vote must go to McCain/Palin.

I love Joe Biden (even though he's kind of a jerk) I think he's brilliant and that made me rethink my vote for McCain, but I will be extremely unhappy if I have to watch Barack Obama speak nonsense for the next 4 years.

Since our congress is deeply democratic, I believe that in order to keep the "checks and balances" system that democracy is founded upon, we need a republican in the oval office.

I'm also tired of my "intellectual" friends telling me that their vote goes to Obama because their parents are republicans and they don't want to end up like them....I feel like that's who Obama appeals to, and that creeps me out.

....don't hate me.

This is very similar to how I feel about Obama. His speeches are amazing events, and he really is a rock star...and that is exactly why I can't support him (well that and him being for everything I am against). He promises change, but to what end? If someone offered to 'change' your face with a tireiron would that mean it was for the better? I have yet to really hear anything about what exactly it is that we are changing, and that is inherently alarming to me.

And as to your friends voting just to be contrary, well that worries me...because something tells me that they aren't the only ones that are doing it, and that is totally and completely not a reason to become president of the most powerful country on Earth.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options

Holy cow could you imagine that!!! I'd be the first one in line at the polls. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know! Wouldn't that be a hoot!
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    ...All you folks talking about McCain's age and his likelihood of dying in the office...

Did you SEE his mama last night on the RNC? She was SPRY to be 96 years old!!! I dare say she moved faster than I do. She was something else.
    He comes from good genetics. He will last a couple decades longer, and if not, I'll be happy to have Sarah Palin step up to the plate.

I did! WOW! She looks AMAZING! My daughter was going on about how old she is (thinking she was 70 something), then when she heard him say how old she was, my daughter chin 'bout fell on the floor. :laugh:
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Did any of you guys watch the Saddleback forum? Again, I've not been a huge Obama fan anyway for a lot of the reasons others have given.... but truly that sealed the deal. Disagree with McCain if you like, that's absolutely fine - but at least with him you know exactly WHAT you're disagreeing with.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    ...All you folks talking about McCain's age and his likelihood of dying in the office...

I did! WOW! She looks AMAZING! My daughter was going on about how old she is (thinking she was 70 something), then when she heard him say how old she was, my daughter chin 'bout fell on the floor. :laugh:

I KNOW! When McCain began talking about his mother, I told my DH that if McCain is 72 (I think), his mama must be 92, and then McCain said 96!
  • clairegl
    Options
    Obama gives me HOPE. I've been on edge for the past 8 years watching our "stock" around the world plummet and finally have hope that this team will- not get us back on track, but give us some new goals to set and make some long overdue CHANGES. Enough is right!

obama_time_cover_102306.jpg
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    http://www.vajoe.com/candidate_calculator.html

I like this website. I would probably vote for McCain, but I got matched with Obama.

I've done this several different ways and either come up with Obama or Baldwin. No matter how I answered any of them --> how I really feel or completely opposite, all yes's or all no's, or even just random answers.... not sure I trust this site.

I'm still voting for McCain/Palin...
  • nikkid917
    Options
    OBAMA!!!! For sure :happy:

I used to work for the Illinois State Senate when he was in office there and I have met him personally. He is a great guy and I trust him!
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I really want to like Obama. I've been trying to like him for the past year because his speeches are so intriguing....but I can't like him. I feel like his speeches have little substance and rely fully on charisma.
    I'm a moderate with both liberal views and conservative views but my vote must go to McCain/Palin.

I love Joe Biden (even though he's kind of a jerk) I think he's brilliant and that made me rethink my vote for McCain, but I will be extremely unhappy if I have to watch Barack Obama speak nonsense for the next 4 years.

Since our congress is deeply democratic, I believe that in order to keep the "checks and balances" system that democracy is founded upon, we need a republican in the oval office.

I'm also tired of my "intellectual" friends telling me that their vote goes to Obama because their parents are republicans and they don't want to end up like them....I feel like that's who Obama appeals to, and that creeps me out.

....don't hate me.

This is very similar to how I feel about Obama. His speeches are amazing events, and he really is a rock star...and that is exactly why I can't support him (well that and him being for everything I am against). He promises change, but to what end? If someone offered to 'change' your face with a tireiron would that mean it was for the better? I have yet to really hear anything about what exactly it is that we are changing, and that is inherently alarming to me.

And as to your friends voting just to be contrary, well that worries me...because something tells me that they aren't the only ones that are doing it, and that is totally and completely not a reason to become president of the most powerful country on Earth.

Ditto. You put into words everything that I have been thinking.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I still need to read what you typed in about Wikipedia...

But you do know that "wiki" is open based online editing...meaning any user can go through and edit the content entered there. I could go under the word "butter" and I can put in "another thing Fabio is famous for faking." After typing I could submit information for others to use. I found this out when doing research class in college for my BA. Thankfully I wasn't the one who used it THAT time, but the person corrected had no clue either. Anyway...off to read...and EAT!!! I mean, healthy working out and logging. LOL

I've felt really good about Obama from the start, I can't really explain it. What he stood for just sang to me. In my relatively unbiased opinion, it's time for a new, fresh face with new, fresh ideas so that our country can have a new, fresh start. I'm very literally afraid to vote McCain because I fear that it will mean furthering the problems of America (the war, gas prices, sources of alternative, job opportunities/economy, etc.), not solving them.

There is what Wikipedia has to say about their stances on various issues: (I chose Wikipedia to avoid bias)

JOHN MCCAIN

" The two political issues that voters have been most concerned about in 2008 are the economy and Iraq.[233] On the economy, McCain says he would make the Bush tax cuts permanent instead of letting them expire, he would eliminate the Alternative Minimum Tax so as to assist the middle-class, he would double the personal exemption for dependents, reduce the corporate tax rate, and offer a new research and development tax credit.[234][235] At the same time, he pledges to eliminate pork-barrel spending, freeze nondefense discretionary spending for a year or more, and reduce Medicare growth.[235] McCain is also opposed to high salaries and lucrative severance deals of corporate CEOs.[235][236] Another proposal of the Arizona senator is to build 45 new nuclear reactors by 2030, in order to fight climate change and establish U.S. energy independence.[237]

On Iraq, McCain's goal is that by 2013 most of the servicemen and women will have returned, the Iraq War will have been won, and Iraq will be a functioning democracy, "although still suffering from the lingering effects of decades of tyranny and centuries of sectarian tension." McCain expects that by 2013, there will still be violence, but at a much-reduced level, and without American troops in a direct combat role.[238][239] " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain#Political_positions

SARAH PALIN

" Palin has called herself as "pro-life as any candidate can be."[44] She would permit abortion only in cases where the mother's life is in danger,[101] and supports mandatory parental consent for abortions.[102] Palin is a member of Feminists for Life.[103] Palin has been described as supportive of contraception.[44] She backs abstinence-only education and is against "explicit sex-ed programs" in schools.[104][105][106]

Palin supports capital punishment.[107]

Palin opposes same-sex marriage[44] and supported a non-binding referendum for a constitutional amendment to deny state health benefits to same-sex couples.[108]

Palin has said she supports teaching both creationism and evolution in public schools, but not to the extent of adding creation-based alternatives to the required curriculum.[109]

Palin has strongly promoted oil and natural gas resource development in Alaska, including in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR).[47] She has opposed federal listing of the polar bear as an endangered species warning that it would adversely affect energy development in Alaska. [66] Palin does not believe that global warming is human-caused.[50]

Palin, a long-time member of the National Rifle Association, strongly supports its interpretation of the Second Amendment as protecting individual rights to bear arms, including handguns. She also supports gun safety education for youth.[110]

Palin's foreign policy positions were unclear at the time she was picked as McCain's running mate.[111] When asked for her views about troop escalations in Iraq, she replied "…while I support our president, Condoleezza Rice and the administration, I want to know that we have an exit plan in place…"[112][113] " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin#Political_positions

I'm sorry that this is so long. :blushing:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I'm also tired of my "intellectual" friends telling me that their vote goes to Obama because their parents are republicans and they don't want to end up like them....

Okay, that is weird...I must have deleted the rest here...I did put a "LOL" here...So...

LOL There.... :flowerforyou:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    McCain/Palin all the way baby!!!!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I really struggled with who to vote for as neither one of them really impressed me especially Obama. And I felt like if I voted for any other candidate, my vote would pretty much be for naught because to me it's obvious our next president is going to be either McCain or Obama. Since I couldn't bear to not vote and leave my future up to everyone else to vote, I finally decided to go with McCain. He just shares more of my values than Obama does. Then when McCain chose his running mate, I knew I had made the right choice. I'd vote for Sarah Palin for president!

I totally agree...I'd pick Palin over any of the other candidates!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I generally do a lot of research on these things. I would urge all of you to do the same thing, stay away from the main stream media when making up your mind! They are biased 1 way or the other. Go by their voting record and past accomplishments, that's TRUELY the only way to know how someone is going to work out.

After researching a bit, my choice is McCain (even though I'm not really all that happy with him), because the alternatives drive me up a wall. I won't say anything about any opponents, but the research was a bit shocking (to say the least)! I think many of you would be surprised if you really took an unbiased eye to their voting records.

Side note, read the whole bill before you decide how they voted, because many of these bills sound great in their title but when you read further you're like NO WAY!

I really feel that candidates names and parties should be hidden from the public until after the vote, and people should only be allowed to vote based on a person's credentials and voting record!
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I generally do a lot of research on these things. I would urge all of you to do the same thing, stay away from the main stream media when making up your mind! They are biased 1 way or the other. Go by their voting record and past accomplishments, that's TRUELY the only way to know how someone is going to work out.

After researching a bit, my choice is McCain (even though I'm not really all that happy with him), because the alternatives drive me up a wall. I won't say anything about any opponents, but the research was a bit shocking (to say the least)! I think many of you would be surprised if you really took an unbiased eye to their voting records.

Side note, read the whole bill before you decide how they voted, because many of these bills sound great in their title but when you read further you're like NO WAY!

I really feel that candidates names and parties should be hidden from the public until after the vote, and people should only be allowed to vote based on a person's credentials and voting record!

+1 to this.

I'm also someone who is politically moderate, with conservative leanings. Despite what the mainstream media wanted to tell me, I did a good deal of research and came to much the same conclusion as Banks. I'm not crazy about McCain, but after researching Obama, I can't in good conscience give the man my support....

That said, I think many people are voting for Obama for the wrong reasons, and frankly, I am worried that many people will now vote for McCain/Palin for equally wrong reasons. Race, Gender, Age, etc are all factors that shouldn't have a part in choosing a person for the highest office in the world. Look at the issues, become an informed voter and then make a decision.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I am sort of torn myself. I had thought this would be an easy decision but it really isn't, at least for me.

I agree with issues on both sides. But, since day one...for some reason....I get a bad feeling in my stomach when I think about Obama. I am not sure what it is. I honestly can't put my finger on it. Who knows. Perhaps I will start to feel differently.

I am not overly excited about Mccain either...but I don't feel the same "bad feeling in my gut" when it comes to him.

I do agree that Race, Religion, Sex, etc..should NOT be a factor in making your decision.
This discussion has been closed.