who are you voting for?

Options

Replies

• mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find themselves reading this post and screaming at their computer when they read one post and then totally agreeing with the next? haha..that's what keeps happening to me. I keep telling myself not to read this one anymore because I get so frustrated, and I am very opinionated! haha..but here I am again, reading more..ugh!

:laugh: You are too funny grey. I know how you feel. I want to say so much...but can't.:ohwell:

Yup me too. I read a comment and get so frustrated but I just have to let it go. Ok Betty back away from the computer. I read a comment and think "are you serious!?!?!?!?!?!?!" Ok I'm going to take my advice and walk away from the computer . . . again. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find themselves reading this post and screaming at their computer when they read one post and then totally agreeing with the next? haha..that's what keeps happening to me. I keep telling myself not to read this one anymore because I get so frustrated, and I am very opinionated! haha..but here I am again, reading more..ugh!

:laugh: You are too funny grey. I know how you feel. I want to say so much...but can't.:ohwell:

Yup me too. I read a comment and get so frustrated but I just have to let it go. Ok Betty back away from the computer. I read a comment and think "are you serious!?!?!?!?!?!?!" Ok I'm going to take my advice and walk away from the computer . . . again. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As educated and opiniated as I am.......:laugh:
    Good job Betty.
    Me too.
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Yes indeed, but then I find myself doing that with the candidates as well. One thing I read I am like, WOOHOO, and the next I am like 'DOH!'.

Neither Candidate embodies my feelings on every issue. For instance, I personally am pro-gun and anti-abortion which makes me a conservative...but I have very strong pro gay rights views which is very much not in line with the conservative thought process. I pretty much despise how elections have come down to find the candidate that is the least worst. I have a feeling that's not what our forefathers had in mind when they thought all this up.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options

I pretty much despise how elections have come down to find the candidate that is the least worst. I have a feeling that's not what our forefathers had in mind when they thought all this up.

Totally agree with that.

Now not to throw this off topic nor to offend anyone but I wish they would update the whole process. When the electoral college was started we did not have the ability to count each vote. However we do have the ability now to do this and I see no reason not to afterall the votes are already calculated we are just eliminating one step.

Sorry but just a vent I have every time there is an election because those of us on the West Coast are often forgotten in the election because it is already decided by the time our polls end.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options

Yes indeed, but then I find myself doing that with the candidates as well. One thing I read I am like, WOOHOO, and the next I am like 'DOH!'.

Neither Candidate embodies my feelings on every issue. For instance, I personally am pro-gun and anti-abortion which makes me a conservative...but I have very strong pro gay rights views which is very much not in line with the conservative thought process. I pretty much despise how elections have come down to find the candidate that is the least worst. I have a feeling that's not what our forefathers had in mind when they thought all this up.

Have you read, "Lincoln on Leadership?" It might be an interesting eye opener. Another interesting read would be to look into John Adams. Wow.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options

I agree. No candidate, since I have been able to vote, has embodied all my feelings on every issue. I am pro-choice, and am pro-gay rights. However, there are far more issues that make me drawn more to the consertive side.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options

Does Obama have a record? Wasn't he only in office a few months before he declared his candidacy? I think I read somewhere that he's actually only had 143 days at work in the Senate. Given his age, I'm curious if he's actually stuck around long enough anywhere to form a record. Seems like he's an official campaigner. I may be wrong but that's what it appears to on the surface.

Um, he's been in the US Senate for 4 years and the Illinois senate for the previous 8.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options

I agree. No candidate, since I have been able to vote, has embodied all my feelings on every issue. I am pro-choice, and am pro-gay rights. However, there are far more issues that make me drawn more to the consertive side.

Ah, if we only had more than two parties. Sigh.
  • 2day4ever
    Options
    Obama/Biden all the way.

If McSame and Palin actually are elected to DC, I am simply appalled at where our country will be in the new global economy and the new world order. I know the request was to not turn this forum into a debate and I respect that but people have also asked for the reasons why we support who we do.

These are mine (don't hate me! and feel free to skip over this if you are offended by my politics):

1. As a mom, it is important to me that my children understand that education is important. I want my kids to strive for doing the best they can, not the minimum to get by. Going to 5 colleges in 6 years (Palin) or graduating at the bottom of his Naval Academy class (McSame) is not the level of academic fitness or intellectual rigor that should be leading this country. On the other hand, having the intellect and the diligence to pursue rigorous, thoughtful analysis of the law is huge and inspiring to me. Every empire falls when anti-intellectualism begins. When we think that being smart is not okay, be prepared to know that America will begin the descent from the beacon of education and opportunity it has always been.

2. As a mom of 3 Eagle Scouts, it is critical to me that my children understand that community service is the way you change your neighborhood and that is how you change the world. Being a Community Organizer (Obama) means that you actually work alongside people who need your service rather than sitting in one of 8 homes (McSame) or truly thinking it is okay to purchase $300,000 outfits (Cindy).

3. As the wife of a former Air Force officer, we both admire the work (REAL WORK) Obama did to clean up Walter Reed when everyone else was wringing their hands. Reading his world view and understanding his military plan led us to put our support behind Obama and, this is important: Joe Biden. (My sister, married to an Army officer, is also a strong Obama/Biden supporter)

4. As the shopper in our house (groceries, clothes for the kids, gas), I do not understand why anyone would elect to keep the same trickle down economics going??? We are in a recession and a republication president and a republican congress got us here. If this country signs up for another 4 years of Bush economics (and, truly, McSame really did agree with Bush 90% of the time), we truly have only ourselves to blame.

5. Obama has real policies re: decreasing our dependence on foreign oil. Offshore drilling (McSame and Palin's solution) is terrible ~ it is not going to provide our needs unless we change our ways and diversify how we fuel our lives.

5. As the daughter of a scientist (my dad), I am absolutely petrified that Palin believes it is okay and legitimate to teach creationism. In a world where our students are already way, way, way behind other industrialized nations on math/science scores, putting our science curriculum backwards is downright frightening.

6. As the daughter of a librarian (my mom), I am even more appalled that Palin attempted to ban books (many of them my very favorites) in her Alaska hometown. Ee gads.

7. I won't get into the whole reproductive rights/abortion debate here. Suffice it to say that any woman who thinks it is okay to deny a woman the right to choose (even in cases of rape or incest) is no feminist and should truly scare women who fought so hard to end back-alley abortions when they were illegal and frighteningly dangerous.

8. The current strategy with Palin is to avoid any media questions or press interviews. Wow. I thought McSame and Palin were all about making government "transparent". But, evidently, the teleprompter is needed b/c Sarah can't be trusted with un-scripted answers.

My true values are education; service; caring about the environment; caring about servicemen and servicewomen; caring about the world view of this country that I love so much. As such, I have to be completely honest: if McSame and Palin are somehow elected, my family is seriously moving to New Zealand (we love Canada, too, but it's too cold). There has already been a huge transfer of material wealth from America to the Middle East and China. I am petrified of the moral bankruptcy of a country where a snarky smile and a total amnesia for lack of family values (McCain left his first wife for Cindy, with whom he was having an affair, after his first wife and mother of his 3 children was disfigured in a car accident; he himself talks about his multiple affairs; he has an "adopted" daughter (I personally don't think he should use the adjective ~ a daughter is a daughter) who is darker skinned and never appears in the PR pics; he can't remember how many houses he has -- sheesh. And, honestly, don't even get me started on Palin and the complete and total hypocricy of family values where she is concerned . . .)

And this is mean and catty (meow) ~ I don't want the Beverly Hills (McSame) Hillbillies (Palin) in the White House.

Okay. Waaaaay too long. I will say, however, my obsession with politics has led to a decline in my obsession with food. I am still nauseaus from the RNC last week and that has led to a 2 pound weight loss.:smile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    2day, while I respect your opinion, it looks to me, as if it all came from the main stream media. That's only my opinion, but I'm dissapointed that someone who looks to be a very well educated person would do something like this.

I note off the top that there are 2 incorrect statements there.

1st is that Sarah Palin DID NOT by any means, attempt to ban any books, she did, in 1996, ask the then librarian of her town (where she was mayor), about the viability of banning some books that she felt might have questionable content, she neither gave specific books, nor did she follow through with that question! Further more, she requested that librarian, along with 4 other town officials to step down, 4 of the five did so, with the police chief refusing. He was fired shortly there after. Those are the facts. Draw your own (I EMPHESIZE your OWN, not some media outlet's) opinions why this was done.

2nd, both the house and the senate are in Democrat hands right now and have been for 2 years. You stated that both the presidency and the congress were republican, that is incorrect. The senate is officially split 49 - 49 but there are 2 independants that caucus with the democrats.

And let me be perfectly clear here, I don't decline to attack any particular candidate because of lack of
    "political fodder" because, lets face it, there's plenty on BOTH sides! I refuse to participate in the petty, demeaning attacks that people spout when debating the "merits" of a candidate!

I say this, research your candidate, research any other candidates, and make your decision based on their stance on topics. Be thoughtful in your research, don't just find out WHAT they want to do, find out HOW they plan to do it, ask questions like:
    Can they really enact something like this?
    Will the congress block this?
    Is this just political fluff, or have they always felt this way?
    What is the PROCESS by which this policy would happen, and is it viable?

These are some of the questions we should really be asking.

So I request, respectfully, in the future, that if a topic like this comes up, that we keep it clean, and keep the facts straight.

That's all I have to say about this post.
  • JeremyInvincible
    Options
    So I request, respectfully, in the future, that if a topic like this comes up, that we keep it clean, and keep the facts straight.

Well said Banks.

I also respectfully request that religious topics be left out of this as well. There are many here that would take extreme offense at a science vs religion debate. I also feel that Abortion also is a topic that is better debated elsewhere.

It's pretty clear where the candidates stand on these particular issues. Everyone I know has a stance on this, and I have seen friendly topics like this totally and completely implode over these topics.

I also want to say how proud I am of everyone for being so adult and respectful in this topic. It shows an amazing maturity, and even moreso an openmindedness to others views that is sorely lacking in many forums.

MFP...you rock.

Love you guys,

-J
  • banks1850
    Options

Well said Banks.

I also respectfully request that religious topics be left out of this as well. There are many here that would take extreme offense at a science vs religion debate. I also feel that Abortion also is a topic that is better debated elsewhere.

It's pretty clear where the candidates stand on these particular issues. Everyone I know has a stance on this, and I have seen friendly topics like this totally and completely implode over these topics.

I also want to say how proud I am of everyone for being so adult and respectful in this topic. It shows an amazing maturity, and even moreso an openmindedness to others views that is sorely lacking in many forums.

MFP...you rock.

Love you guys,

-J

But I still get to make fun of Soupie right?!!!!:huh:
  • JeremyInvincible
    Options

Well said Banks.

MFP...you rock.

Love you guys,

-J

But I still get to make fun of Soupie right?!!!!:huh:

Can't shake things up too much. :wink:
  • marskids
    marskids Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    In her absence I must say, go easy on Soupy guys. Remember , she has the Pit keys!!!:wink:
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Yeah! Banks!!!

Yeah! JeremyInvincible!!!

Well said on both counts!

It's pretty obvious what the media thinks, they don't try to hide it. Facts are way better than anything the media can think up.
  • banks1850
    Options
    In her absence I must say, go easy on Soupy guys. Remember , she has the Pit keys!!!:wink:

NEVER, or atleast not until she takes that picture of Tommy boy down from her sig! :bigsmile:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I am not voting... becausse i am canadian lol

but is it just me or do your conventions and all that stuff go on FOREVER??? i mean sheesh you have been hogging CNN for like a year LOL (jk folks dont tackle me)

When do you ACTUALLY vote? the whole system kind of confuses me lol
  • JeremyInvincible
    Options
    I am not voting... becausse i am canadian lol

but is it just me or do your conventions and all that stuff go on FOREVER??? i mean sheesh you have been hogging CNN for like a year LOL (jk folks dont tackle me)

When do you ACTUALLY vote? the whole system kind of confuses me lol

I'm fairly certain that when this election cycle began, John McCain had just turned 40 and Obama has just crawled from his white mama's womb.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hokay, I wasn't going to pull this one out...But...

I had lunch with Cindy McCain a few years ago and I was very unclear of her and her husband's views on things. She was very soft spoken and I couldn't at that time figure out her interest in the military. We talked about the heavy deployments and the stress on families. I'll admit it wasn't until fairly recently that I actually took more time to hear her message. I'm impressed with her interest IN the military families not just another person who acts like they are interested.

This is just my example of not always seeing what goes on behind the scenes, or a person's real character, if you are only watching a few things in the media.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options

NEVER, or atleast not until she takes that picture of Tommy boy down from her sig! :bigsmile:

Ha...I took it off Banks. So you can't pick on me now.:tongue:

Right?:ohwell:
This discussion has been closed.