30 Day Shred Challenge 9/1--First day!!!

Options

Replies

• Quenofcrazzy
    Options
    Day 1, Level 1 with 5 pound weights..kicked my butt!!
  • liamsmom
    Options
    I had my first day yesterday - level one and I loved it. It kicked my butt! I am so out of shape. Not sure if I'll do it today, it's 90 degrees outside and we have no air, but I'll be back in business tomorrow for sure. I will be weighing in on Monday.

Kellie
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I shredded again this morning - that is 3 shreds in a row - I think tomorrow I will just rest and go for a run. My shoulders are sore, as are my chest muscles - and of course, those tend to be my weakest muscles!

Anyone using different weights for different muscle groups?

Have a great day ladies!
    :flowerforyou:

I am using 3lbs to 10 lbs dumbbells. I use the 3 pounds for the front raises, 5 and 8 lbs for shoulder presses, biceps and 10lbs for the back exercises and the chest flys.

For the person who asked about wearing sneakers, definitely!!!! You don't want to do this workout barefoot. :flowerforyou:
  • gameset
    gameset Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    whew- i almost have enough strenghth left in my arms to type this after finishing my first shred day... man that girl is tough!!

Love it though!! You gotta love a workout that covers all major components in 20 mins!!
  • momandwife
    momandwife Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Day 3 - Sept. 3rd

Level 2 ...... whew!! I did it with 5 pound weights the whole time!!!! YAY!! Usually I alternate between 3 pounds and 5 pounds. One of these days when I'm feeling especially strong and motivated I'll try Level 3 ...... one of these days ...... :bigsmile:

Woooooo ...... I feel good!!! :tongue:

Great job everyone!!! Later on tonight I will probably hop on the treadmill (at a moderate pace) and study for my Rehab quiz that I have tomorrow morning ..... UGH!!
  • Sunibc22
    Options
    Well I did it on the first, was fairly sore on the 2nd in my chest, abs, and thighs so I decided to take a day off. I went to the gym and did an hour of cardio instead. Now it's day 3 and I'm still a bit sore but am going to go do the DVD right after I type this! I think everyother day for the first week or 2 is going to be good for me...then week 3 I'll try to do it daily!

Have fun eveveryone!
    Shauna:flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I started on 8/29, 'cause I'm gonna be gone for a week this month. I did Level one three days in a row, then played an hour of frisbee football with my kids on day four, and did level one again last night. The legs were KILLING me, but what an incredible feeling. I haven't had this pain in my legs since the first day of softball practice in high school, when they work your butt off. How glorious.

My children love this DVD. 7 of my 9 kids are doing it with me, (age 16 down to age 2 to varying degrees) and it's adorable. They love Jillian's attitude of "You want to work out only 20 minutes a day? Then you better keep your butt moving-- "or however she words it.

Not sure when I'll move up to level 2-- level one still kills me, but my legs are feeling stronger today, less sore. This has been a thrill. Thank you to whoever started this challenge.

Level one again tonight and definitely for the rest of the week. My snot-nose 16 year old daughter, a total physical specimen (the little booger) who inherited her father's metabolism and can eat herself into oblivion with no weight gain while I gain from sniffing her table scraps, says she's ready to move on to level two-- arrgggh. :grumble:

But, I don't think I'm going to push it for now.

Have a great day one and all-- :smile:

That's great that your kids do it with you! Today my 3 yr old and my 18 month old joined me - they were SO cute trying to replicate the moves (the crunches are just the cutest). When I was doing the chest flys, my daughter was attached to my like a bear hug (don't worry - safety was a first concern!).

My 18 month old daughter even replicated my heavy breathing! I can't wait until we can workout together when they are older (sorry to hear that your daughter is "snot-nosed" - don't most teenagers have serious chips on their shoulders? I know I gave my mother some grief, and I was a good kid! I'm bracing myself already!

Oh my-- no, let me clarify-- she's a "snot-nose" BECAUSE she's a physical specimen who can eat her way to oblivion. While she's fully "16" attitudinally once in a while, she is really a lovely girl. I couldn't ask for better daughters-- my 18 year old son, on the other hand,-- ugh-- there's one with the chip on his shoulder-- can't wait for him to move out. :wink:

Oh, haha, sorry to have made that mistake! I'm sure you are thrilled that she is genetically blessed - that would be one less thing for her to have to worry about!
  • AJCM
    Options
    I shredded again this morning - that is 3 shreds in a row - I think tomorrow I will just rest and go for a run. My shoulders are sore, as are my chest muscles - and of course, those tend to be my weakest muscles!

Anyone using different weights for different muscle groups?

Have a great day ladies!

I am using 3lbs to 10 lbs dumbbells. I use the 3 pounds for the front raises, 5 and 8 lbs for shoulder presses, biceps and 10lbs for the back exercises and the chest flys.

For the person who asked about wearing sneakers, definitely!!!! You don't want to do this workout barefoot. :flowerforyou:

Yeah, I'm thinking about increasing some of the weights - I use 8lbs, but think I could use more for biceps and chest (but then I remember something about not doing this, because you don't want to be lifiting more for, say, your bicep than your tripcep because it creates an imbalance - similar to the idea of if you work your quads you have to work your hamstrings similarly, or abs/lower back, etc. Anyway, a few lbs shouldn't throw it off, right?
  • AJCM
    Options
    Day 3 - Sept. 3rd

Level 2 ...... whew!! I did it with 5 pound weights the whole time!!!! YAY!! Usually I alternate between 3 pounds and 5 pounds. One of these days when I'm feeling especially strong and motivated I'll try Level 3 ...... one of these days ...... :bigsmile:

Woooooo ...... I feel good!!! :tongue:

Great job everyone!!! Later on tonight I will probably hop on the treadmill (at a moderate pace) and study for my Rehab quiz that I have tomorrow morning ..... UGH!!

Good luck with the quiz, and awesome work on all the working out!
  • AJCM
    Options
    Question...

Anyone else STARVING!!?!?!?! With the pick up in workouts, I am just starving all the time! I've been making healthy choices (minus some wings last night - bad, bad choice) so I should be okay.
  • natalie424
    Options
    Hey all... Great job with all the work outs.

Today is a scheduled day off from Shred (I'm doing 5 days a week). I will probably go for a big walk after dinner tonight!

Back to Shredding tomorrow!
  • food_junkie
    Options
    Hey! Today was day 6 for me..almost 1 week..kind of exciting haha. Any way keep up the good work everyone!
  • momandwife
    Options
    Question...

Anyone else STARVING!!?!?!?! With the pick up in workouts, I am just starving all the time! I've been making healthy choices (minus some wings last night - bad, bad choice) so I should be okay.

YES!! :grumble: And it's at those times that I REALLY need to focus on healthy choices ...... which I might add is REALLY tough because of the "kid snacks" in the house ..... I keep plenty of healthy choices but a handful of vanilla wafers or something like that is quite enticing sometimes!! I find myself eating a Tbsp of peanut butter when I "just can't take it" ...... hee hee!! That seems to satisfy me for a while anyway.

This week is our local fair - I live in a small town and the fair is the highlight of this week ....... ooooohhhh the temptations ...... I WILL SURVIVE ...... no funnelcake, no corn dog, bring my own bottles of water (no soda) ..... however I am going to allow myself a hamburger basket on Saturday - you can't beat a hamburger basket at our fair!! I promise I will make up for it ..... maybe do two Shred levels that day ..... maybe that will be the day I try Level 3 for the first time ......?????? :tongue:
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Question...

YES!! :grumble: And it's at those times that I REALLY need to focus on healthy choices ...... which I might add is REALLY tough because of the "kid snacks" in the house ..... I keep plenty of healthy choices but a handful of vanilla wafers or something like that is quite enticing sometimes!! I find myself eating a Tbsp of peanut butter when I "just can't take it" ...... hee hee!! That seems to satisfy me for a while anyway.

This week is our local fair - I live in a small town and the fair is the highlight of this week ....... ooooohhhh the temptations ...... I WILL SURVIVE ...... no funnelcake, no corn dog, bring my own bottles of water (no soda) ..... however I am going to allow myself a hamburger basket on Saturday - you can't beat a hamburger basket at our fair!! I promise I will make up for it ..... maybe do two Shred levels that day ..... maybe that will be the day I try Level 3 for the first time ......?????? :tongue:

I say Shred Level 3 is like a secret weapon only to be used in EXTREME circumstances like say

a corn dog AND funnel cake :laugh: . In my humble opinion a hamburger basket = Shred 1 &2 :wink:

You have succeeded already by making smart choices to enjoy in moderation at the fair. :drinker:

I am still at the red alert stage where I can't go into the local store that stocks candy by the counter 'cause the "Swedish Fish" candy know my name and call it every time I checkout! :tongue:
    So this week, you are my hero...going to the fair...and passing up the funnel cake.

Today was day 3/30 of Shred Level 2 - using 5 lb wts. throughout. All I can say is....
    "Nothing is for free people!!!" Isn't Jillian is such a bad a**??!!

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
    Mi
  • Toby
    Toby Posts: 17
    Options
    :heart:
    Day 2 (got started on 9/2) my calves were sore this morning and doing the jump rope on level 1 almost broke me however I kept pushing through. 2 days down 28 more to go... hang in there my fellow team mates.
    85002.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • momandwife
    Options
    Question...

I say Shred Level 3 is like a secret weapon only to be used in EXTREME circumstances like say

a corn dog AND funnel cake :laugh: . In my humble opinion a hamburger basket = Shred 1 &2 :wink:

You have succeeded already by making smart choices to enjoy in moderation at the fair. :drinker:

I am still at the red alert stage where I can't go into the local store that stocks candy by the counter 'cause the "Swedish Fish" candy know my name and call it every time I checkout! :tongue:
    So this week, you are my hero...going to the fair...and passing up the funnel cake.

Today was day 3/30 of Shred Level 2 - using 5 lb wts. throughout. All I can say is....

Mi

Thanks for the support on the "fair food"!!!! It sounds GREAT when I type it out and read it that I'm going to resist all of those temptations ....... we'll see when reality hits and I **SMELL** all of the scents of the fair ....... I'll let you know how I do on Sunday.

Hmmmm Level 3 ..... secret weapon ...... in case I "FAIL AT THE FAIR" ....... that's good!!! And ..... yes ...... Jillian is a KILLER ..... and she says the right thing at the right time ..... right when I'm about to give up she says something that just keeps me going!!!

Great job on Level 2 with 5 pounds - I did that today too - I know I don't get the v-lift (in front) as high as I probably should yet .... but it's coming!! :tongue:
  • momandwife
    Options
    Question...

Mi

Thanks for the support on the "fair food"!!!! It sounds GREAT when I type it out and read it that I'm going to resist all of those temptations ....... we'll see when reality hits and I **SMELL** all of the scents of the fair ....... I'll let you know how I do on Sunday.

Hmmmm Level 3 ..... secret weapon ...... in case I "FAIL AT THE FAIR" ....... that's good!!! And ..... yes ...... Jillian is a KILLER ..... and she says the right thing at the right time ..... right when I'm about to give up she says something that just keeps me going!!!

Great job on Level 2 with 5 pounds - I did that today too - I know I don't get the v-lift (in front) as high as I probably should yet .... but it's coming!! :tongue:

OK - I just did a Food Search on this fair food that is going to be tempting me ......

1 Funnel Cake (6" diameter) - 760 calories and 44 grams of fat!!!!!!!!!! :noway:
    1 Carnival Corn Dog - 375 calories, 21 grams of fat and 1170 mg sodium!!!!!!!! :noway:

I think that does it ........ I WILL RESIST the temptation!!!!!!!
    I AM STRONG ...... I CAN RESIST ...... I AM STRONG ...... I CAN RESIST .......
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I thought I could handle Level 2. I was wrong, very very wrong. :sad:
    There were some moves that I could do no problem, but walking pushups....seriously?

Back to Level 1 tomorrow. :embarassed:
  • momandwife
    Options
    I thought I could handle Level 2. I was wrong, very very wrong. :sad:
    There were some moves that I could do no problem, but walking pushups....seriously?

Back to Level 1 tomorrow. :embarassed:

I thought the EXACT same thing the first time I did Level 2 - walking pushups?????? :noway:

I promise - they do get easier!!! The "plank" cardio ones on Level 2 still get me too - then the last plank one that she does for the abs - I modified and do that one on my elbows because it KILLS my wrists!!!!!

It will get easier ...... well not "easier" - just more tolerable and you will surprise yourself when you can make it through it!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    Options
    Question...

You will make GREAT choices at the fair!!! A burger can't be all that bad. When I was steadily losing 1-2 lbs a week, I would eat a burger here and there, and just plan my day around it. Calories are calories, right?

I once read that Pamela Anderson does not workout hard because she said she is always 10lbs heavier when she does - from muscle bulk and increased appetite! She said she just eats all the time when hitting the gym. Just thought that was an interesting idea...
    :wink: