Do men notice?

Options
Wondering do men notice weight loss on women? I have gotten a lot of responses from women saying< Hey I see you slimming down but as for the men, not really getting that many compliments including my husband.

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I think they do not. I don't think it's that they don't notice, but I think some men struggle with details so while your DH probably notices you looking healthier and more radiant he may not be able to put his finger on why- and some other guys are afraid to comment because it could be taken as an insult to your former self (meaning you used to be heavy.)
  • cghiggins518
    cghiggins518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think its hard for a husband and wife to notice any difference since they see so much of each other. I have noticed it was people who I have not seen in some time that give the compliments.
  • basschick38
    basschick38 Posts: 12
    Options
    That is a good question and I sometimes don't think they do! When my husband and I first started dating I weighed around 155 lbs. while he was away for a 3-week training session for work, I joined Nutrisystem and dropped 20 lbs during those 3 weeks. Did he notice when he returned? Nope! Didn't have a clue. Meanwhile, everyone at work, all my girlfriends all gave me jaw-dropping responses to my weight loss. Oh well, I guess he loved me either way.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    YES!! I've got 22 pounds (at goal weight!!!) and every man I work with has commented. My husband more than anyone. My brother, Dad and cousin commented as well. So yes, they do! Suprisingly.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Are men allowed to notice? I've seen many threads on here where the women berate men for being so shallow as to give a woman more attention when they get thinner.

I agree with cghiggins, it's harder for husbands to notice.

But men out in our normal social lives, in this day and age, if they're smart, they don't notice.
  • aaddaammggoolleeaaffss
    Options
    We do, I just think at times weight is a bit of a touchy subject and guys don't come out and say it
  • emiliabeth
    emiliabeth Posts: 40
    Options
    I asked my husband about this once - he said he does notice if a woman loses weight, but he never says anything cos he doesn't want to sound like he's coming on to her. He says the only thing he'll say is 'You're looking very snazzy' because it's the only thing he can think of that doesn't sound like a come on :D

With me, he very occasionally mentions that I 'feel firmer' when he hugs me, but he doesn't usually comment that I look skinnier...
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    We do, I just think at times weight is a bit of a touchy subject and guys don't come out and say it

My second point exactly.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Women look and study other women more, it's in our make-up (not necessarily biological but I couldn’t think of a better word) to be more competitive on goals/standards portrayed by the media. Men look at women's bodies for the overall package or good attributes but they won't notice a bra strap roll of fat like another woman would.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I totally think they notice, it's just not socially acceptable to comment.

My BF, for example. Doesn't comment when I gain, doesn't comment when I lose. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

I also think they don't care as much as we do - to them, it's just another descriptor like "She's tall."
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I notice when my wife loses weight, and I compliment her all the time. I guess it all depends the man and how often they see you. If it's gradual, it might not be as noticeable as someone who hasn't seen you in a while.
  • AceH826
    AceH826 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband said they're too scared to because they're afraid we will take it the wrong way.

He says: "You look great!"

He's afraid you'll hear: "You look great, now, (but didn't before)"
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Yes and no...in my opinion. I'm down about 18lbs and I think my husband responds more to my improved self confidence than to my appearance.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I think its hard for a husband and wife to notice any difference since they see so much of each other. I have noticed it was people who I have not seen in some time that give the compliments.

I so agree with this. My husband says he doesn't notice the 97lbs loss I've had, lol, as crazy as that sounds, but I took 3 yrs to lose it and he's seen me almost everyday. He is just as shocked as anyone when I show him before pics. He says he forgets what I used to look like. It's understandable. I can't go back 3 yrs and remember what he looked like at that time.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Me being a bikini/fitness model photographer I notice when someone i know drops weight
  • avassos
    avassos Posts: 12
    Options
    my finance comments on my loss (even if I haven't lost any), but he does it because he knows I'm trying really hard and wants to support me. It's funny he always follows up the comment, with I don't think you need to lose any I love you for you........It's nice to feel the support but I know if I choose to stop at any weight he will be happy. He worries that I will lose all my meat on my bones and become too skinny...... but other men don't notice or if they do they don't comment..... men aren't that observant generally
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options

THAT is my thoughts on this......
  • netsirk419
    netsirk419 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lol...my ex once told me that he did notice things but then didn't mention them because he didn't know if he should have noticed sooner. Example: I dyed my hair and he noticed the next morning but didn't mention it just in case I did it weeks before and it took him all that time to notice. I think men know weight is a VERY sensitive topic and just steer clear of it, gain or loss.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yes, we definitely notice. I think we usually refrain from complimenting because we're worried it can be turned into a "OH, SO YOU THOUGHT I WAS FAT BEFORE?????" moment that we try to avoid.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    They absolutely do. I work in a convenience store, and customers come in daily for coffee and such. I remember them and we chat every day. The ladies I see have said nothing in the past 5 months of my weight loss. The men have hooted and hinted and said the kindest things to me, almost every day now.

Maybe because I am just the cashier kinda relationship that they feel more open about it, I imagine if I were a co-worker they might think twice, or a family member. You don't want to say 'Nice you've lost weight!' for fear of insinuating that the person was fatter to begin with. (which of course, we were! but we don't want to hear it, I guess is the consensus)

My boyfriend tells me every week how he is enjoying the smaller me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!