Do men notice?

Options

Replies

• lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    I ask my boyfriend if I look like i've lost any weight and he can't see it, whereas I can see the tiny changes, I think it's just that they either don't notice because they see you every day or they aren't very observant! It took him 2 days to say my hair looks nice after I re-dyed it lol!

However girls always say to me I look like i've lost weight even if I haven't, it's very strange.
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 2 fellas on page one it's definitely a touchy subject for men to come right out and say they've notice a womens weight loss. I'm not mad attcha!!!

Us women are fierce and dare someone say something about our weight/ We would chew a man up and spit him out! :tongue:

Though my Hubby tells me he notices my weight loss, I don't believe him b/c is he really going to admit that I have a weight problem?

If I want to know I ask my daughter, she is blunt and to the point. Gotta Love the Kids! :flowerforyou:
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Oh and it's not just exclusive to women, either. We notice when other men have lost weight, but we don't say anything to them unless they mention it first. It's just how we are...
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Mine notices even the slightest change in weight. gain or loss...He mentions it the same way he mentions if I got new curtains or changed the way I do my hair. Weight is not a sensitive issue between us.

I think that my husband is the exception though and that most men see any mention of weight as a bees nest that they try not to step in.
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Mrs. J- I think it depends on the guy and your relationship with him.

My male co-workers won't say anything unless I bring it up (such as saying I'm running a 5k) or they see it in my Facebook status.

My friends' husbands have said a couple of things like: "Will you stop losing weight!" or "Did you quit eating?"

My own husband hasn't really said much. I married a decent guy like my dad who doesn't really care if I'm 300 pounds or 150.

My 11 year old son told me that I looked really pretty in my Easter dress, so I guess that's a win!

2858698.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    It's usually people that I haven't seen in a while that notice my weight loss.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i believe they do notice but it's one of those "shaky ground" type of subjects for men, you know they are taught never ask a woman her age, when is she due (thinking she maybe pregnant) or anything about he weight weather its good or bad, its just a taboo subject so rather than rub you the wrong way or hurt your feeling they just say nothing even when they do notice.

by the way great job keep up the good work.
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It most certainly depends on the man. This guy at work that had also lost an abundance of weight asked me if I lost weight when I lost 23 lbs.. my boyfriend "knew" I was on a diet, so while I was losing the weight I'd throw out how much I was losing, probably if I had not reminded him, he wouldn't have commented lol :noway:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    We do, I just think at times weight is a bit of a touchy subject and guys don't come out and say it
    BINGO.We notice alright.

But sometimes men seem to put their foot in their mouths, and somehow say the wrong things.
    So most times we just keep it shut, unless we can verify you lost weight.

There's been so many other threads about some women can't even take a compliment properly.
    "Oh, <insert name> You've lost so much weight you look great".

Some women take that as........
    "Great, how much do you think I weighed before?"
    "Did I not look great before? geesh Thanks"

It's better for the male species to keep their mouth shut most times.

edit: after re-reading last 3 pages.

The Answer to this thread.. YES MEN DO NOTICE
  • notapromqueen
    notapromqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with a previous poster that says that your husband probably doesn't notice. Reason being is because he sees you on a daily basis. Don't take it personally. Try to take a look back at one of the first pictures you took together as a couple, or a picture of him when he was the age when you met. Chances are you'll notice changes in him but just looking at him he still "looks the same" as he always has. The change is so slow and gradual, and you see each other daily so it's not always obvious.

As far as other men go, I think they are "afraid" to notice. What's the golden rule about a woman's weight if you're a man? Never ask how much a woman weighs. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever.... "They're damned if they do, they're damned if they don't" is a good way to look at it. If they don't notice, we immediately think "great, I don't look any better to them... wahhhh :sad: ", but if they DO notice, we immediately think "oh great, so he noticed I was fat before :embarassed: ". See what I mean? Haha... I think other men who don't see us on daily basis notice, they're just afraid they'll get slapped or hurt feelings if they say anything. :wink:
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i think men notice it, they just don't really know how to say it.

my brother won't mention my weight loss, but if it gets brought up he's like 'i noticed, there's nothing left of you!'
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My husband notices my body changing, especially my butt! We are very open about my needing time to exercise in the evening if the kids didn't give me time to get a workout in before he gets home from work. He notices that I am logging my food and encourages me because, to be honest, when I am more confident I feel sexier and he likes that my body is firming up.

I think that guys are "damned if they do and damned if they don't" on this one - though if your partner knows you are putting forth an effort they should be more aware of the changes.

edited for spelling
  • 1fitmama
    1fitmama Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My husband notices and lets me know when I'm looking hot. I lost 20lbs last fall hence baby #3 is on his way. lol!
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    LOL the men at my work haven't been shy about it... I know that I've changed a lot, but I didn't expect so many of the men to say "wow you look fantastic!"... which is when I thank them and politely remind them my inspiration was my wedding :-) i have gotten more questions from the women though... like "how did you do it?"... none of the men really care how but they do notice
  • kbizzleoo
    kbizzleoo Posts: 114
    Options
    I've lost about 34 pounds total now. The guys in my life that knew me before don't seem to notice as much as the girls. ...but the "problem" (only because I have a boyfriend haha) is that I've noticed I get attention from new guys that I meet. It's very new to me since I've been immensely overweight since 4th grade. So ... guys may not notice a CHANGE...but they will notice ;)
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    My husband notices and tells me there is a difference. Either he is just being nice because he knows I need that right about know or he actually does. He also stated you can see a difference in my face. He said it is more define.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I found that men did not comment on my weight loss and when one finally did I asked him if he noticed before. His response made some sense. He said he did notice before, but that he didn't feel comfortable saying anything. Some women can take comments about weight the worng way. Some women get offended and give them the "I guess I didn't look good before" or "do I need to lose weight?" He didn't want to hurt my feelings or anything. Now that I have lost over 100 pounds everyone says something...
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am a man. I notice. I notice gains and losses of everyone I know. I'll say something if it seems appropriate for the situation.

It takes about 10% loss or gain in order to really see it though and if you are around someone every day then it may not be detected. Before and after pictures make it easier in that case.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    men are trained from a very young age not to talk about a woman's weight.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    It's a bit of a double edged sword to compliment a woman.

If I say "You look great in that outfit." You may think "I looked like *kitten* yesterday?"

It goes back to the question "Do I look fat in these pants?" I think, "Do you see the word STUPID tatooed on my forehead?"

It's like playing Russian Roulette. 6 to 1 odds sound good theoretically, but just one mistep can ruin your day. Just the other day there was a thread about women getting p*ssed off because they interpret "You have a pretty face" as "....for a fat girl."

I would love to be more vocal with women's achievements, but, I sit crooked with a big chunk of one *kitten* cheek missing. You gals make it hard.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!