Do men notice?

Options

Replies

• JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    well who knows really....but I just know that the 2 times I was sickest in my life, my husband said I was looking good. mmmm...guess I should have strep throat more often....:ohwell:
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Are men allowed to notice? I've seen many threads on here where the women berate men for being so shallow as to give a woman more attention when they get thinner.

I agree with cghiggins, it's harder for husbands to notice.

But men out in our normal social lives, in this day and age, if they're smart, they don't notice.

I gotta agree with you hear, its like men can't win for loosing. If they pay a compliment like that some women might take it wrong, but not all, I find it would be a bigger compliment coming from a man since they tend to notice everything all the time.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I can confirm that I notice. I would never say anything, though. I know it is stupid, but a compliment to someone that they lost weight always sounds like "you looked fat before, but now you look better" in my head. I don't know why I have that complex, but I do. A few summers ago, I lost 30 pounds, and I was complimented all the time. I never thought that when someone said something to me, but I can't shake it when the thought approaches my mind with a woman.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Oh we notice. We just don't feel it's our place to say anything. But If you ask us, we would be happy to tell you what we think about how you look. Just a guy thing...
  • TXmama
    TXmama Posts: 37
    Options
    They definitely do! But it may depend on the setting whether or not they'll say... I've worked where I am now for almost 8 years and I know the guys really well, and some of them have complimented me, but they usually preface it with "I hope this isn't inappropriate to say..." I guess when you work in an office people are always afraid of getting slapped with a sexual harassment complaint! I tell them, I've worked really hard, I'm THRILLED to hear that it is noticeable, but I guess some people might consider it too personal... I don't know.
  • GregCrowder
    GregCrowder Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know that I do notice but am uncomfortable to say anything beyond comments to very close friends. The reason is that I have in the past and the comment which was politely made got a response that it was inappropriate.
    To be safe I consider this reaction and now no longer comment which is unfortunate knowing how proud most are of making positive life changes.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    When I was single at my last command the men noticed before the women lol
  • CharityAngel
    CharityAngel Posts: 111
    Options
    I have released over 20 lbs and 35.25 inches all over (and counting). My husband told me that he has always thought that I was sexy, that it is not what size I am but my confidence and personality that makes me so desirable. In fact just yesterday I was showing him some pictures of goals I had, and to my surprise he said "Why would you want to look like that, it is too unhealthy"? I said really? What is healthy to you? And I was surprised by what he showed me. He has complimented me on how flat my stomach is getting and ooo'd and ahh'd over muscles in my back and sides etc. But so far, the only other person to mention the progress that I had made is my mother. No one else seems to have noticed a thing. Well, my children have. And they are not shy about it either LOL.
  • jocelynlewis
    Options
    I agree with the 2 guys, weight for women is a touchy subject, so they rather not say much, but I do think they notice, plus me are not as emotional as we are, so things that are a big deal to us, my not be really that big to them, your husband just probably really want to see you happy! whatever makes you happy he's with it!
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    I think they do, but its harder for them to say something without people thinking they are gawking! My co-workers are very polite in telling me that they have noticed and that I have done a great job. Now they call me skinny all the time. But a couple of them would not say a word until one of them did it first, then they all chimed in. I work with mostly men, so they are careful...my husband was slow to say it because secretly he wanted to lose weight too and I got the jump on him, but he says it now and so do his friends :)
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    This is funny because I was wondering the same thing.

My old HS friends saw me at about 20 lbs lost, not a big difference. Only the girls said something, and I was kind of upset that none of the guys noticed. 2 even said they couldn't tell a difference. Well I tagged side-by-side pictures on FB, and then they said they could tell. Just yesterday I saw them all again, and a few others, now at 47lbs lost. One guy, whose girlfriend sees me all the time at college and always is very encouraging and sweet, told me "you know Maria, I didn't mention anything last time, and Jessie got mad at me for it, but you really do look great, and can definitely tell you've lost a lot of weight." I was like THANK YOU! The other boys noticed too, they just didn't say anything until after I left. Boys are weird. But i get it.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Sean Morey wrote a song that might help shed some light for you ladies.
    Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FCeBNher0E

And here are the lyrics:

She Said: You look handsome today dear.
    He Heard: I just bought something really expensive.

He Said: Are you having an affair?
    She Heard: Cause I am and it’s great!

She Said: Do I look fat in these pants?
    He Heard: Do you ever want to have sex again?

He Said: You look great in those pants!
    She Heard: I am totally trained.

She Said: It was fun visiting your mother.
    He Heard: You owe me big time.

He Said: I bought you something from Victoria’s Secret.
    She Heard: And could you wear this bag over your head too?

She Said: Was it good for you?
    He Heard: Cause I hope someone had fun.

She Said: We need to talk.
    He Heard: You need a lawyer.

He Said: Would you mind squeezing the toothpaste from the bottom?
    She Heard: Do you mind living with an anal-retentive neurotic?

She Said: You were snoring again last night.
    He Heard: Do you have to breathe.

He Said: I’m thinking about buying a Motorcycle.
    She Heard: I’m in the mood for a big fight.

She Said: Will you go cloths shopping with me?
    He Heard: Can I pull your fingernails out with pliers?

He Said: I thought our waitress was very nice.
    She Heard: I’ll be thinking about her during sex.

She Said: This commercial is so beautiful.
    He Heard: I’m getting my period.

He Said: Let’s try something new tonight.
    She Heard: Let’ see if you double-jointed.

She Said: Do you mind not watching football.
    He Heard: Do you mind if I chop off your balls?
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    We do, but it's touchy... it come across as insulting... OR as a "come on".
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Girl, who knows. I've only lost 17 lbs and nobody has noticed just yet not even my husband. I asked him last night and he said "You look the same to me." Gee, thanks!! It's probably because they see us everyday though.

I know I am slimming down though because I can tell...I am down 1 size in clothing and my tops and under garments are now lose as well.
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I believe is true...if they see you everyday they don't notice the weight loss....but men do notice! A couple of years ago I ran into an ex...we're not in the best speaking terms but said hi, I was at my heaviest then, .well about a month ago I ran into him in the gym & complimented me about my weight loss
  • Jon_Rod
    Jon_Rod Posts: 158
    Options
    :smile: I Agree
  • peytons_mommy82
    peytons_mommy82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My husband, who see's me daily, he notices (or at least says he does!) But, I come bouncing out of the bathroom everytime I have a loss because I'm so excited, so he doesn't really have to "notice" because I tell him about every pound down. ;)

The gas station attendant where I get gas seems to notice when I loose weight and compliments me on it. Either he's the most observant gas station guy ever, flirting, or just super nice. Whatever the reason, I love it!

I can understand how guys would feel weight is a touchy subject but let me tell you, if you notice a woman has lost weight let her know! It's a great compliment when a man notices the hard work!
  • westo22
    westo22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I notice weight loss all the time. It is a very sensitive subject and unless you know that person is trying to lose weight, its best not to say anything or risk biting your tongue.

"Hey, have you lost weight? You look way thinner!" Guy

"I'm not sure, maybe..." girl (Does he think I'm fat? Do I need to lose weight? Is he inadvertently saying I need to lose weight? what an *kitten*.) girls thoughts

"Oh..."

If I notice a weight loss, I tend to stick to generic compliments saying something like:

"You look very nice today." <-- You can't lose.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    My husband always says to his ex that she's lost weight when he sees her. It's a running joke. She loves him for it.

He has noticed that I have lost weight, as much as anyone has. He just doesn't know what he should say about it.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Depends on the man. I notice and definately compliment a lady who has taken self interest in her health by losing fat. I don't find overweight women physically attractive by any means considering about 8 out of every 10 women i see in the United States are overweight. The same overweight statement applies to my fellow American men as well. Just saying what i see everyday.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!