Do men notice?

Options

Replies

• sctracy
    sctracy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think they do not. I don't think it's that they don't notice, but I think some men struggle with details so while your DH probably notices you looking healthier and more radiant he may not be able to put his finger on why- and some other guys are afraid to comment because it could be taken as an insult to your former self (meaning you used to be heavy.)

This is probably very true! After seeing my best friend's husband for the first time in about a month, I got a text, saying:

Men are so funny. As soon as you left, Matt said, "Shannon looks great; she lost a lot of weight! I didn't know if it was OK to say anything."

That said, my own husband has noticed from the very beginning, or he'd be in trouble :)
  • runninginplace
    runninginplace Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We are way too scared to comment about your weight. Dangerous ground either way.
  • InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We do, I just think at times weight is a bit of a touchy subject and guys don't come out and say it

I have to agree. That is a very touchy subject for some women so some times it is best not to say anything at all...unless they ask....
  • moyafigura
    moyafigura Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I actually got a comment from my husband first (he is the type that tells you how it is even if its not easy to hear sometimes), and nobody else yet.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the man. But in general, I've found men either don't notice or don't feel comfortable saying something. *shrug*
  • Grneydirshlass74
    Options
    We do, I just think at times weight is a bit of a touchy subject and guys don't come out and say it

My second point exactly.

I work in an office full of men and they definitely notice when I lose weight. Some of them are awkward with mentioning it and some just stick to the "You look great!" type of compliment. I've been in the same office for 6 1/2 years, so we all know I'm not going to think they're hitting on me when they say it, nor will I be offended because we all know each other well enough for it to be okay. But I totally agree with the two above who say it's a touchy subject for most men to broach. Kudos to them for trying so hard to not offend but wish we could just appreciate their compliments without turning them into something more sometimes. It would make both sides feel better! :) (Hoping that came out right!)
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Of course we do, but we've been conditioned not to make comments because we never, ever know how a woman will react. Sometimes it will be met with a "Thanks!" whereas other times women may take offence and be mad because if you mention they've lost weight you must be saying they are/were fat..... sigh.

Just last night my wife was complaining about her weight loss progress and my friend that was over told me today that he notices it (hadn't seen her in about 6 weeks) but figured it was best not to say anything so as not to insinuate that she was fat to begin with....again.....sigh
  • alynnbennett
    alynnbennett Posts: 182
    Options
    I think they do, I just don't think they want to say anything in fear that we might get upset because lets face when it comes to weight with us its a very fine line. My boyfriend tells me that I look like I've lost weight and that I'm doing great but he also knows that I don't mind him commenting because he sees how hard I work for my weight loss. Some men are different I guess. As long as you know you've lost weight and you feel great than thats a huge plus!
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Not always- It's biologically proven that ALL people notice even micro changes in the face, but are not programed to see changes in the body unless they are really dramatic. On that note, men, especially a spouse, is less likely to notice any change in weight unless it is too, really dramatic. I have lost almost 30 lbs in a fairly short amount of time- and just like science says- my boyfriend has really only seen changes in my face. He also knows weight is a sensitive subject. Oh- and I read an article its also because men don't care near as much as women when it comes to weight in general-especially regarding 20+ or - pounds. Meaning 20 lbs lighter or heavier most men don't really care or notice. Of course if you are 4'6" and 20 lbs heavier I am sure thats a different story, I believe the article was geared more towards average height women although it did not really specify :)
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    when they see you every day it's hard to notice. i lost 70lbs in 3 months in 2007 and the only reason my husband noticed was because i put on an outfit from our dating days and surprised him. lol. but he hadn't noticed before that moment. lol
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    My husband will comment when he can physically feel the change. For example, the other day he squeezed my butt and commented how it could fit in his hand (one cheek lol). Or if he hugs me and notices my stomach is slimmer or something like that, then he will comment. Otherwise he probably doesn't notice.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    We absolutely do, or at least I absolutely do! :)

However, if most are like me, we hesitate to say anything for fear of insulting someone, especially in the weight or appearance category. And if not offensive, it can also put a spin on it to the woman that you are flirting or trying to pick them up.

I just want to give a compliment, but unfortunately in this day and age it is hard for a man to do that without an assumption being presumed. Too many bad apples have ruined this gesture for many of us.

The same goes for this site...you will see most women offering the comments, but a man...less in numbers.
  • wannabehotmomma
    wannabehotmomma Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've gotten more comments from men that I work with then women. My husband says something almost daily. I really appreciate it too, it does make me feel good!
  • haolegurl07
    haolegurl07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think it's very true that the majority notice, but they're just too scared to say anything. I know for me... My husband notices even more because I'm pulling out clothes from the closet that I haven't worn in a long time! Like this morning, after I got dressed and went to the bathroom to do my hair, the hubby was like "wow, babe, you look great!" :) But we're definitely comfortable enough to say things to each other about our weight and not be weirded out :)
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My husband said they're too scared to because they're afraid we will take it the wrong way.

He says: "You look great!"

He's afraid you'll hear: "You look great, now, (but didn't before)"

hahahaha thats because a lot of us would think that way. Women are tricky- I will admit.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing, but this weekend I saw a guy friend I hadn't seen in awhile and he said I looked great!! Makes a girl feel good!!!
  • Diem30
    Diem30 Posts: 92
    Options
    I think if they see you often then they don't really notice until its VERY noticable just like us when we look in the mirror after a loss and can't see a difference until we see before and after/currents. But mostly I think Men notice but don't comment unless others openly comment as well, its safer that way ha ha.:laugh:
  • lawdhelpme2
    lawdhelpme2 Posts: 149
    Options
    The funny part is last year I lost a little weight, less than the 25 I've lost now and he noticed that my face was slim, now I've lost more and he doesn't notice that my hips, waist and thighs are smaller. He's just backwards.
  • DESIREE1210
    DESIREE1210 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have received compliments on my weight loss from many men. My husband, they guys i work with and my group of guy friends we ride with.
    I say yes they notice, maybe some just don't want to say anything. All the guys I know are pretty direct as am I so I am very approachable about it.
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yeah,
    I lost 26 pounds before my Hubby noticed then it was like "WOW YOU ARE GETTING SLIM" I was like have you not looked at me at all in the last 12 weeks lol... I think women notice more because we are always comparing ourselves to what other women looklike I dunno????
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!