Saturated Fats are GOOD for you

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but i dont want something called saturated fats clogging up my body no thank you..think of what saturate means...i know i dont want no saturated fats drenching my organs no ty

Have you even done any research? If not, why would you comment on a subject you don't have the knowledge to engage in discussion?

come on saturated fats good for u? every thing i have read says that no its not..so yes im going to go by that..if you wanna put that crap in your body go right ahead..

Yes. Coconut oil is a saturated fat and it is the healthiest fat on the face of the earth.

Here is some reading material from doctors regarding the health benefits of saturated fats.

Resources for reading about the health benefits of saturated fats:

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/04/06/saturated_fat_the_misunderstood_nutrient#axzz0zknkn0yT

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/saturated_fat.htm

http://www.preventionisbest.com/site/saturatedfat.html

http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    2 questions

1.Are you saying Vegetable Oils are the only sources of PUFA/unsaturated fat? For cooking would you rather use butter or olive oil?

2.Who advocated using vegetables oils, the ones you have mentioned? I don't remember even a single person on this entire post who has claimed that vegetable oils are good for you.
  • Grokette
    Options
    2 questions

1.Are you saying Vegetable Oils are the only sources of PUFA/unsaturated fat? For cooking would you rather use butter or olive oil?

2.Who advocated using vegetables oils, the ones you have mentioned? I don't remember even a single person on this entire post who has claimed that vegetable oils are good for you.

I am not saying they are the only sources, but in most Americans eating plans they are a major source...............

Read this blog.................. it is written by a doctor.

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2010/3/18/sat-fat-or-pufa-which-one-do-you-fear.html

I would rather not use butter or olive oil. I prefer to use beef tallow rendered by ME, filtered bacon grease (rendered and filtered by ME) or Coconut Oil.

No one had to advocate using vegetable oils out right. If your not eating saturated fats, then you are eating PUFA's in some form and it is not recommended that we ingest very many PUFA's.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    too many carbs was what was making me fat!
  • drasr
    Options
    We are very happy using olive oil. Btw last I checked the composition of beef tallow, it had 50% saturated fat and 50% unsaturated fat.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    I'm sorry but i dont want something called saturated fats clogging up my body no thank you..think of what saturate means...i know i dont want no saturated fats drenching my organs no ty

Yah, I know what you mean. We have all been brainwashed into thinking saturated fat is bad. I'm not sure if it is out of stupidity or greed. But I'm guessing it's a little of both. Now it's more the latter.

Saturated fat _does not_ clog arteries.

See here from American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/80/5/1102.long

The title, "Saturated fat prevents coronary artery disease? An American paradox"

Not only does it _not_ clog arteries, it clears them. Surprise surprise.

So what does clog arteries? Carbs... processed carbs.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I decided to give high saturated fat diet a try. I have high cholesterol and was on vytorin for 2 years and lost roughly 35 lbs through various diet and exercise. I was off my cholesterol drug for 6 months and tested my cholesterol and it is still high. Even while taking the drug my calcium score went up. When I went back to the Dr, he prescribed Crestor (another statin drug). I took one pill and it diminished my strength and energy during my workout the next day, so I stopped taking them. I then did research on raising my HDL thinking if I can't lower my LDL, maybe I can raise my HDL to counter it. With days of research, I concluded I needed to eat a lot more saturated fat especially coconut oil. I've read many people with 100+ HDL and under 50 triglycerides. I once thought people with 100+ HDL were pure lucky freaks, but it appears it is a common thing when consuming high saturated fat.

Here are few interesting sites that I found interesting:
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/80/5/1102.long
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/archives/2006/08/ill_have_mine_w.html
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/mercola44.1.html

A few testimonies:
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=3204
    http://www.coconutdiet.com/cholesterol.htm
    http://freetheanimal.com/2009/03/new-lipid-panel.html

I'm going to try this for 6-8 weeks. Then I'll get my cholesterol checked again. If things look good, I'll continue and test it again in 3 months. Now I just need to figure out the best way to consume 4 tablespoon of coconut oil a day.

Thats awesome. I'd love to hear about your results.
  • End6ame
    Options

Have you even done any research? If not, why would you comment on a subject you don't have the knowledge to engage in discussion?

come on saturated fats good for u? every thing i have read says that no its not..so yes im going to go by that..if you wanna put that crap in your body go right ahead..

Yes, and everyone used to think the earth was flat and that ice cream caused polio, until they were both challenged. The fact is that saturated fats have a very positive impact on our health and body functions and only about 26% of the fat in artery clogs is saturated while the remaining 74% is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated.
  • End6ame
    Options
    So what does clog arteries? Carbs... processed carbs.

BINGO!
  • End6ame
    Options
    I think its just futile to explain that both Nutrition and Medicine and a lot of other degrees [Registered Nurse, PA, Pharmacy etc] fall under a broad category called Life Sciences and share the same basic principles.

I don't object to anything. Please pardon me for trying to express my views on the topic.

Here is my problem with individuals with medical degrees that tend to think they are experts in nutrition. There is a very effective form of treatment for various ailments including depression, CHD and cancer knows as Nutrition Therapy. In real-world case, as well as lab studies nutrition therapy has been shown to drastically reduce, and in some cases eliminate, tumors in cancer patients. Some of these treatments, for example, involve extremely high doses (high by RDA standards, mind you) of vitamin C, potassium, niacin, etc… But because of the lack of nutrition education in the medical profession and the drug companies grip on the medical profession the idea is scoffed at and completely discarded.

There is a documentary called “Food Matters” that discusses this as well as numerous web resources that support it. Check it out.

P.S. What CTCA is calling Nutrition Therapy is not what I am talking about.
  • Grokette
    Options
    We are very happy using olive oil. Btw last I checked the composition of beef tallow, it had 50% saturated fat and 50% unsaturated fat.

Yes, I am aware of this.............I will just say this. It is wise to stay away from PUFA's in the form of vegetable oils................
  • drasr
    Options
    I think its just futile to explain that both Nutrition and Medicine and a lot of other degrees [Registered Nurse, PA, Pharmacy etc] fall under a broad category called Life Sciences and share the same basic principles.

I don't object to anything. Please pardon me for trying to express my views on the topic.

Here is my problem with individuals with medical degrees that tend to think they are experts in nutrition. There is a very effective form of treatment for various ailments including depression, CHD and cancer knows as Nutrition Therapy. In real-world case, as well as lab studies nutrition therapy has been shown to drastically reduce, and in some cases eliminate, tumors in cancer patients. Some of these treatments, for example, involve extremely high doses (high by RDA standards, mind you) of vitamin C, potassium, niacin, etc… But because of the lack of nutrition education in the medical profession and the drug companies grip on the medical profession the idea is scoffed at and completely discarded.

There is a documentary called “Food Matters” that discusses this as well as numerous web resources that support it. Check it out.

Sitting behind the desk and making baseless assumptions is easy. Convincing a dying cancer patient to go for nutrition therapy rather than surgery, radiotherapy or chemotherapy and accepting responsibility for the same is not. Try that sometime.
    When someone has lactose intolerance, gluten allergy, anemia, malabsorption syndromes, diseases due to deficiency of essential nutrients even hypertension, diabetes or obesity, they come and see a physician first. So stop worrying about them not being taught about nutrition. It's another of your speculation.
  • Grokette
    Options

Sitting behind the desk and making baseless assumptions is easy. Convincing a dying cancer patient to go for nutrition therapy rather than surgery, radiotherapy or chemotherapy and accepting responsibility for the same is not. Try that sometime.
    When someone has lactose intolerance, gluten allergy, anemia, malabsorption syndromes, diseases due to deficiency of essential nutrients even hypertension, diabetes or obesity, they come and see a physician first. So stop worrying about them not being taught about nutrition. It's another of your speculation.

It is not a speculation. It is common knowledge and doctors often mention that they don't have a background in nutrition.

There are plenty of cancer patients that go for nutrition therapy over chemotherapy first........
  • drasr
    Options
    It is not a speculation. It is common knowledge and doctors often mention that they don't have a background in nutrition.
    So if a doctor says he doesn't have a background in nutrition, you would believe him but if a doctor says that he does have adequate knowledge about the same, then you won't. Like i mentioned before, you tend to agree with only those things which support your thinking.
    There are plenty of cancer patients that go for nutrition therapy over chemotherapy first........
    "first". But they do later and i wonder why.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I, personally, have never bought into the low-fat craze because it just didn’t make sense to me. I always knew that fats were good for you I just never went out of my way to research it. Come to find out, the so called “facts” that support the claim that saturated fats are bad for you and are the cause of high cholesterol and heart disease is simply a hypothesis and much of the so called research and evidence has been funded by the vegetable oil and processing companies with the specific intent of supporting these claims. I was going to write my own article on this topic, but discovered that someone had already done it, and it is quite good, so why reinvent the wheel.

http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm

Wow! That's incredible. Every single study that has shown saturated fats can raise your cholesterol level has been funded by the vegetable oil industry. And every doctor, nutritionist and health agency "buying in" to that nonsense, well they all must be in on it too. Shocking.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I read a former post staing that carbs are bad, its about 6 posts back or so, but are you all talking about low complex carbs versus high complex carbs, and does this include fruits and vegetables, which have carbs and fiber

I do eat lots, and have been stuck in a plateu, and am now adding fats and more proteins to my diet.......Grg, is this the correct way for this? Llloyd
  • End6ame
    Options
    I read a former post staing that carbs are bad, its about 6 posts back or so, but are you all talking about low complex carbs versus high complex carbs, and does this include fruits and vegetables, which have carbs and fiber

I do eat lots, and have been stuck in a plateu, and am now adding fats and more proteins to my diet.......Grg, is this the correct way for this? Llloyd

Stay away from refined carbs (moderation is fine) but stick with the non refined variety. Examples include brown rice instead of white rice, wheat bread instead of white, etc…

It has been my experience that the increase in fat intake is beneficial to fat loss. My main goal is to stay under on carbs, if I go over on fat an proteins, no big deal. And I am relatively consistent with about 1lb of fat loss per week, sometimes 2 weeks, but that happens. I also don’t pay any attention on a daily basis to what fat is saturated vs unsaturated, I just eat what I want that fits into my goals, which includes about 32oz whole milk a day, eggs every or every other day and I don’t skimp on the steak and my cholesterol and triglycerides are fine.

So yes I think increasing fat and protein intake is a good idea. I also don’t really count my fruit or veggie carbs; I primarily focus on starchy carbs.

My macronutrient breakdown:
    Carbs = 25%
    Protein = 40%
    Fat = 35%
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    thanks grg, I eat lots of fruits and vegetables, but since I had plateaued and not really lost any significant in the last 5 months, am now in the process of changing my exercise routine as well as diet

Im just starting to see the numbers decline, Im not a daily weigher, but lost this last week, and want to stay on track.........I am aware of white flours and sugars, and most definitely, the white salt, I avoid them all like the plague..........

just wanted to clarify which carbs you are all talking about.........thanks, you really are on it about this weight loss ,I appreciate all the help I can get..............Lloyd
  • Grokette
    Options
    So if a doctor says he doesn't have a background in nutrition, you would believe him but if a doctor says that he does have adequate knowledge about the same, then you won't. Like i mentioned before, you tend to agree with only those things which support your thinking.
    "first". But they do later and i wonder why.

I won't actually see a doctor that isn't a licensed Naturopathic Dr any longer. So yes, I will listen to those doctors that have like minded thinking, just as you are doing the same.

You should never see a doctor that you don't trust.

Hey, you are free to believe the mainstream propaganda just as I am free to believe that the more natural approach is always the best approach.

I know several people that have never done chemotherapy and was diagnosed with cancer and through whole foods nutrition and a GOOD doctor (that is defined by one that takes the time to put together a plan without writing scripts to make himself and the pharmaceutical companies richer) and they are living cancer free now.

Chemo-therapy is not the answer, it is the same as signing a death warrant.
  • drasr
    Options
    Well i don't really have any problem with you trusting the naturopathic medicine over allopathy. The problem is that you think that naturopathic medicine is superior to all the other forms of medicine.

And your comments regarding chemotherapy are very short-sighted, so i am not going to comment on those.