Loose dogs while jogging

Options
I want to run outside but we have people around here who do not believe in using leashes......I was bit a couple of weeks ago and just able to start again. Anyone else have this issue and if so how do you deal with it?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray! (not kidding) Also a call to the local authorities if it's not legal. I am a dog lover but have no patience with people who will not control their animals in public.
  • ElizIvory
    ElizIvory Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You should carry either pepper spray or bear mace, (depending on the size of the dog). Also call your local Animal control, most places have a law and they will get a ticket and a fine for having a dog at large (of leash and off their property) as well as possibly a dangerous dog fine.

I hope you can run in peace!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I used to have a marathon baton with mace at the end of it when I ran. Now I carry a mid-size knife and a trekking pole while walking or hiking...more for defense against two legged creatures.

Luckily I haven't had an incident for quite some time. I've always had a fear of large dogs after being attacked and badly bitten by a stray German Shepherd as a kid.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I want to run outside but we have people around here who do not believe in using leashes......I was bit a couple of weeks ago and just able to start again. Anyone else have this issue and if so how do you deal with it?

I run with my dog off the leash. She has never bitten anyone, human or other dogs. She doesn't even approach other people unless they encourage her to do so.

In terms of other people's dogs off the leash, in my experience locally where I live the only people who have their dogs off the leash are those who are with friendly and well trained dogs who respond to recall. Those with nervous or aggressive dogs usually keep them on the leash.

I've never had a problem.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I run with my dog off the leash. She has never bitten anyone, human or other dogs. She doesn't even approach other people unless they encourage her to do so.

In terms of other people's dogs off the leash, in my experience locally where I live the only people who have their dogs off the leash are those who are with friendly and well trained dogs who respond to recall. Those with nervous or aggressive dogs usually keep them on the leash.

i wish that were so here, I was jogging, noticed the dog with no leash(with his owner) and moved out to the street to go by, not paying them anymore attention... until the dog latched onto the back of my knee. I believe that all dogs can bite, even if they are trying to play, because that is how dogs explore. I have spent two weeks in pain and they have spent nearly $500 because the dog "who knows his limits and never goes part the curb" Was curious...

• jenn2080
    jenn2080 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have the same problem. I live out in the country and my neighbor has a pack of dogs. I have not been able to walk up and down my road out of fear. About 2 years ago they chased my cousin and I while we were walking. I had to find other places to walk like the park or church, and no unleashed dogs there(yet).
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

Luckily, it's not a regular occurrence around here but it happens occasionally. I respond based on how I read the dog (having a lot of experience helps here). In all cases, it's best if you STOP RUNNING. Dogs chase running people. So stop running. Don't make prolonged eye contact. You can try a firm NO or Go Home. Actually works sometimes! Then slowly walk away backwards, so you can see the dog.

I agree that Animal Control should be called, both for your own protection and the dog's.

Many of these dogs will forget about you once you're a house or two away from their property. Yesterday I could see a dog who was playing fetch had spied me and was going to run to me. So I stopped and put my open palm out for him to sniff--everything about him screamed 'friendly'. Then I grabbed his collar so he didn't cross the street again and his owner collected him.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Run faster!!

Just kidding, couldn't resist it. Anyway, how about visiting the owners to meet the dogs. If they don't see you as a threat, they might not bite you.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    i wish that were so here, I was jogging, noticed the dog with no leash(with his owner) and moved out to the street to go by, not paying them anymore attention... until the dog latched onto the back of my knee. I believe that all dogs can bite, even if they are trying to play, because that is how dogs explore. I have spent two weeks in pain and they have spent nearly $500 because the dog "who knows his limits and never goes part the curb" Was curious...

My dog is only off leash in open green spaces, woodland, parks etc. When I walk her on the road I would always have her on a lead, not because I don't trust her temperament but because I don't want her to end up under a car. Like I said, a well trained dog should respond to recall. Mine instantly spins around and runs back to me even when there is something interesting to chase like a rabbit.

I'm sorry you got bitten and I hope you have reported the owner to the police.

Generally when I am out running and I encounter a dog off the leash, I find it's always safer to stop and stand for a moment and let the dog pass. A nervous dog is mouch more likely to snap at a moving target.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Call animal control and have them pick the dogs up it is in most states I believe illegal to just let your dogs run.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    I have the same problem. I live out in the country and my neighbor has a pack of dogs. I have not been able to walk up and down my road out of fear. About 2 years ago they chased my cousin and I while we were walking.

That's just not appropriate. In the UK if your neighbours dogs are running free and pose a risk to others, you call your local dog warden and they would be having a word with the owners and potentially threaten to remove them unless they were controlled.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    Personally I'd call Animal Control if there are leash laws (which there are pretty much everywhere). Regardless of how trained a dog is, there are leash laws for a reason and it's for the protection of not only the people around but the dogs as well.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and have written about it on MFP as well. It is illegal to let dogs run loose in my town, so I call the police - every time. I am hoping that a $110 fine will make the owners think twice before they let their dogs out. There is no way you should have to endure that kind of pain or expense. Sue the owner! This coming from a Canadian where that is not the norm, but this is such a sore spot with me! I was training for Boston this past winter, and I swear, if a dog caused me any harm that would have taken me out of training, I would have sued the owners. There is a time, and financial commitment to what we do, and an irresponsible pet owner should not get off scott free when you have been sidelined.

In my town, if a dog bites someone, it must be reported to the health authorities, and 9/10 the dog may have to be put down. Seems excessive, but pet owners really should keep that in mind.

A friend also gave me a horse whip to carry while I run. I have thrown my water bottle, rocks, ran after them, tried kicking, etc. They are a pain in the *kitten* and anyone that runs or walks their dogs without a leash is being irresponsible. I don't care how "well behaved" they think their dogs are, a dog, is a dog, is a dog and if it feels like being curious, it will be. Not everyone is comfortable around dogs, and dog owners need to be respectful of that - doesn't matter how cute/friendly your dog is.

My son has a 130lb Alaskan Malamute who is the biggest most adorable suck around, but I know how frightening & intimidating he looks, just by his size, and we would NEVER let him run loose in a public place.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Dogs are pack protective and when something is running towards the pack like a jogger, instinct kicks in. Very few owners have total recall over their dogs. Dogs should be leashed in public at all times, even ones owners have total recall over since it's never a sure thing when fight or flight kicks in. Law in most every town around me. There are public fenced dog runs for people to let them off leash in to play or play with other dogs.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Kick them. I used to have this problem when I cycled to work, small dogs would yap at my wheels.

I had my dress torn by a dog last week, it just ran up and grabbed my hem in it's teeth. Dangerous things.
  • ibike
    ibike Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same dog issue where I live. I live in the country and love to bike and encounter dogs way to often. They have an instinct to chase so the first thing would be stop running. This may be hard on your part because your instinct says get out of here fast. Even on my bike I will stop and get off. If I try to out run them it becomes a game for them. Next step, if they still are coming at you use bear spray. Pepper spray don't always work and can actually make the dog meaner. Bear spray is in a little larger can which is harder to carry but does the trick. Make sure you spray it down towards the dog, let the dog get close. If you spray it straight out at a distance and it drifts back into your face you will have some big problems. Also here in UT it is a zero tolerance dog bit state. I have had an attorney write a letter to two households who's dogs have become a problem. The attorney explained what will happen if someone gets bit. After the letters were mailed I haven't had a problem. I got the attorney involved more for the children I see out riding their bikes. If they are attacked they could be damaged for life. Good luck and don't let the dogs stop you keep up the good work.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Luckily, it's not a regular occurrence around here but it happens occasionally. I respond based on how I read the dog (having a lot of experience helps here). In all cases, it's best if you STOP RUNNING. Dogs chase running people. So stop running. Don't make prolonged eye contact. You can try a firm NO or Go Home. Actually works sometimes! Then slowly walk away backwards, so you can see the dog.

I agree that Animal Control should be called, both for your own protection and the dog's.

Many of these dogs will forget about you once you're a house or two away from their property. Yesterday I could see a dog who was playing fetch had spied me and was going to run to me. So I stopped and put my open palm out for him to sniff--everything about him screamed 'friendly'. Then I grabbed his collar so he didn't cross the street again and his owner collected him.

Same here. I was a vet tech for about 5 years and worked at a shelter before that, so I'm good at reading dogs as well as knowing how to act and react.

The goofy thing, a few weeks ago, I slowed to walk when I saw a 150-ish pound rottie mix standing on the sidewalk with no owner in sight, but I crossed the street to avoid a little yappy apricot poodle on a retractable leash. The poodle seemed more threatening. :laugh:

I love walking my dog on a retractable on a trail or in the park, but I keep him reined in when other people are around.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray! (not kidding)

Great idea. and stopping when they come at you, is also good. I absolutely hate it when that happens. good luck!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray! (not kidding)

Great idea. and stopping when they come at you, is also good. I absolutely hate it when that happens. good luck!
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    Options
    The last I was told, things like Pepper spray and OC canisters don't work on dogs the way they work on humans. I've been mistaken in the past and willing to admit if I'm wrong now. However, I agree with the above posters about using local law enforcement if there is a leash law. In addition to that, if I was bit, I'd take it to the local law enforcement and inquire about the possibility of enforcing a leash law if there isn't one already. Beyond that, I'd recommend carrying either a baton or something to protect yourself with. I love dogs and all, but I'll be the first to admit that I've had to put more than a couple 'in their place' when they've tried to bit me...