Loose dogs while jogging

Options

Replies

• bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    my dogs don't run off my property...so if you run THROUGH my lawn and IN my yard, my dogs will assume you are coming to the house and attack you with kisses and happily wagging tails. however, as a runner myself, i do understand that when any dog, chihuahua or great dane comes running toward me, the same fear strikes through my body as if i was getting pulled over for speeding 20 mph over the speed limit!! so as a dog lover/owner, stay outta my grass...and as a runner, don't run away from the dog!! it's a choice between running away and getting bit or stopping your run to prevent yourself from getting bit...take the time to give the dog a chance to get to "sniff" you out. ;)
  • KaizokuNoMaiku
    Options
    My dogs run/walk with me when im outside training because its great and healthy for them aswell and so far I have never had a problem with anny neighbours dogs or something but then again I'm 6'3, big, and have 330 pounds of dogs with me so you would be extreemly stupid to try something against me if you are a human or dog.

Got a Rottweiler, Pitbull and AM.Bulldog =)

......might be the reason why I dont make a lot of new friends while running/walking.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    Haha well as lame as this sounds.....most dogs know the simple commands of sit. I usually just tell them to sit and they sit..its weird yes but hey it works for me......its harder with my dog around but like i said most dogs know that command and if they are owned its especially easy.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    There are sometimes dogs out when I run too, but I just pretend they're not there. I've never been bitten though. Sometimes if it's late or really early I'll carry some pepper spray with me, which I've been told works just as well on dogs.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    As a dog owner and a Canine handler, I strongly feel that ALL dogs should be on a leash. I run with my Husky on lead. In fact, I'm considering buying him a harness for running with rather than the regular collar to minimize the risk of him choking himself. Further, having worked with dogs trained to attack and recall on command, I agree wholeheartedly with "Atlantique's" statement that you have yet to meet the right circumstances that will get your dog to not listen to you... I had a dog that completely ignored cats but would chase squirrels to no end (completely ignored rabbits too!). I had a dog that I could get out of the patrol car and tell him to heel on me and he'd ignore every cat, squirrel, rabbit, person and even people that were arguing amongst themselves or wearing the bite suit. I never did find out what would make that dog break the heel and disobey me (as he got cancer and died in December). However, that's not to say that when I was outside of the training fence that I didn't have his lead on.

All people must realize one VERY important fact about their dog before they ever take it out of the house. All dogs, from Chihuahua to Great Dane are all direct descendants of the Wolf. Would you be comfortable walking around outside with a lone wolf just hanging out on your street? So, how do you think other people feel about your animal being off-leash? although you may think that your dog is 100% reliable and friendly, you cannot trust him/her. I've seen dogs over 10 years old, having NEVER bitten anyone, get froggy and bite someone runnning by. It's called prey drive. What do prey animals do? They run from the wolf. What does the wolf's instinct tell it to do? Chase it and bite it. Wolves have taken down moose with only one or two wolves actually attacking the moose. If that is engrained in the dogs DNA, then isn't it possible the dog may see you as a prey-thing too?

My suggestion(s) to the OP still stay the same. First, if you feel you must slow to a walk before you cross paths with a loose dog, then do so. The slower and more confident you are in your stride, the less chance the dog sees you as prey. Even if it's playful prey-drive. Second, if your city/town/state has a leash law, don't hesitate to take the issue to the owner and to local law enforcement if the owner doesn't respect your wishes. Third, if you have to carry some sort of protection, then do so. Ensure you contact your local law enforcement agency to make sure you are within your legal rights to carry a baton or pepper spray, though.

There is some great advice here!

I'm a dog owner (I did dog fostering for about a year and own 3 dogs of my own) and even with my dogs, I always have them on leashes - heck when i have company I put the dogs on a leash just to be safe. My dogs can't talk...well they kinda can but that's another story! ;) But they can't tell you when they're not feeling good, tired, or just grouchy - they can lash out when you least expect it. I have a staffordshire mix who lunged at a tweeker on a bicycle and she had never exhibited aggression before. I think she sensed something, and she did snap out of it quickly. Now I'm getting her a muzzle and going to work on some additonal obidence training for her.

For the OP, I would say to carry a walking stick or pepper spray (if legal in your area). My dad was a utility worker and I remember him telling me that some dogs aren't fazed by pepper spray. Now i have shooed dogs off of my yard by squirting them with a hose. LOL Although all the homeless or lost dogs tend to end up at my house. Sheesh!

For those of you who were bitten by a dog in the past and still carry anxiety about being around dogs, consider this.....My ex-husbands grandmother was bit and was never treated for her anxiety, after awhile she would refuse to get out of the car if she even HEARD a dog barking. She was paralyzed by her own fear...very sad.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My dogs run/walk with me when im outside training because its great and healthy for them aswell and so far I have never had a problem with anny neighbours dogs or something but then again I'm 6'3, big, and have 330 pounds of dogs with me so you would be extreemly stupid to try something against me if you are a human or dog.

Got a Rottweiler, Pitbull and AM.Bulldog =)

......might be the reason why I dont make a lot of new friends while running/walking.

I fostered a couple of Rotties and one awesome AM Bulldog - I really wanted to keep him but attacked my fiancee, so I couldn't adopt him. :( He was so great - he was 130 lbs @ 11 months. I don't think they're supposed to get that big though - he was HUGE. He now lives with an old man who runs his own business. Because JD (the dog) had severe separation anxiety - he had to go to someone who could be with him most of the day.

I really enjoyed fostering got to handle some GREAT dogs....but i get too attached so I don't do that anymore. LOL
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I love my dog. She's great with my child. She's a rescue mutt and incredibly submissive.

Does all of this mean I'd trust her for even a second around a stranger or much less a child, out in public? F..uck no. She stays on a lead. And, if anyone comes in our direction, she immediately gets pulled to my side with about a foot of lead between my hand and her collar.

So many irresponsible dog owners, it's sickening ... which I've experienced first-hand from my time volunteering at a shelter.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have just been out at a local council meeting and of the 10 of us who had to go round to people's houses giving out notices about the meeting last week, 3 of us were attacked by dogs off the lead. One woman has a bite mark on her leg. I got away lightly with a torn dress. Dogs are dangerous. No matter how much you love them.
  • KaizokuNoMaiku
    Options
    I fostered a couple of Rotties and one awesome AM Bulldog - I really wanted to keep him but attacked my fiancee, so I couldn't adopt him. :( He was so great - he was 130 lbs @ 11 months. I don't think they're supposed to get that big though - he was HUGE. He now lives with an old man who runs his own business. Because JD (the dog) had severe separation anxiety - he had to go to someone who could be with him most of the day.

I really enjoyed fostering got to handle some GREAT dogs....but i get too attached so I don't do that anymore. LOL

My Am. Bulldog is a girl and she weighs around 100 lbs. Maybe if yours was rly huge already at 11 months it was a crossbread or something who knows. They can ofc get big, had this with a rottweiler before it was about 10-15cm larger then normal and also weighing around 30 lbs more then it should and his brother was a normal sized rottweiler.

To bad that JD had to leave hope he enjoys his new home.
  • KaizokuNoMaiku
    Options
    I have just been out at a local council meeting and of the 10 of us who had to go round to people's houses giving out notices about the meeting last week, 3 of us were attacked by dogs off the lead. One woman has a bite mark on her leg. I got away lightly with a torn dress. Dogs are dangerous. No matter how much you love them.

In 9 out of 10 cases its people who fail to understand/read dogs or dont care for them like they should and socialize them wrong or not at all that are dangerous.
    Its the same with a gun or a sword, if sombody has it who has no idea of what he or she is doing its a dangerous weapon.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options

In 9 out of 10 cases its people who fail to understand/read dogs or dont care for them like they should and socialize them wrong or not at all that are dangerous.
    Its the same with a gun or a sword, if sombody has it who has no idea of what he or she is doing its a dangerous weapon.

That brings me to my number 1 pet peeve that I see more often than not. The ONLY times your dog should be out in FRONT of you when on lead is when going potty or if you are skating/mushing with them. If they are out in front, not only do you have NO control so that you might as well not have them on a lead at all, but you are also letting them be the ALPHA. You are being subservient to a dog!!! Please, please, please examine how you are with them on lead as well. Dogs out front just don't cut it. Also please don't let aggressive breeds herd animals. It will eventually lead to violence and/or the loss of your dog.

Speaking of aggressive breeds, these are often the ones I see taking the lead. Having your dog out front doesn't make you look cooler, or tougher or anything other than out of control and possibly overpowered and definitely subservient.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I've got 2 dogs, one 10 yo, other 1 yo, non of them have ever been on a lead. I only go through public areas to get to a footpath or a wood, but neverless, dont put them on a lead. They go crazy when I try.

If you had trained your dogs to accept a lead, they'd politely sit for you to attach it. What the heck do you do at the vet?

I agree that's another example of poor training. If you can't safely attach a lead to your dogs they are poorly trained - end of. They call the shots, not you, and that's wrong.

When people say dogs must be leashed at all times "in a public place" it depends what you mean with in a public place. Mine is leashed in town, in my road etc and off the leash in parks, woodland trail and wide open spaces. In a park or the woods there are other people, walkers etc and it is a public place but she doesn't jump up at people and recalls.

However UK leash laws are different to the US... There are certain areas where all dogs must be kept on a leash and there are usually signs posted to this effect. In other areas it's NOT a legal requirement but the dog should be "under control". It's an offence for a dog to be "dangerously out of control" in a public place or to let an "unmuzzled and ferocious" dog be at large (off the lead). In areas where there are livestock a dog must be either on lead or "under close control" or the farmer is within their rights to shoot it if they think it is worrying their livestock.

Anyone who wants further of UK dogs law it's all here:
    http://www.endangereddogs.com/EDDRDogLaw.htm
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    That brings me to my number 1 pet peeve that I see more often than not. The ONLY times your dog should be out in FRONT of you when on lead is when going potty or if you are skating/mushing with them. If they are out in front, not only do you have NO control so that you might as well not have them on a lead at all, but you are also letting them be the ALPHA. You are being subservient to a dog!!! Please, please, please examine how you are with them on lead as well. Dogs out front just don't cut it. Also please don't let aggressive breeds herd animals. It will eventually lead to violence and/or the loss of your dog.

Speaking of aggressive breeds, these are often the ones I see taking the lead. Having your dog out front doesn't make you look cooler, or tougher or anything other than out of control and possibly overpowered and definitely subservient.

It's not actually true that the dog being in front of you means that you can't control him or that he's not trained. Just about anyone who has ever had a breed that they work off-lead (in the appropriate setting) can assure you of this fact! In hunting, canine sports, search and rescue work, guard work, herding, etc. the dog is out in front of you or far away and is certainly trained.

If your dog is on a lead and he is calmly walking ahead of you, matching your pace, again, not necessarily a problem if you're not in a crowded area. If he's pulling you down the street like a freight train, then yes, I would agree that the dog needs additional training.

The entire 'alpha' theory of dog training has been so competely discredited for so long that I am amazed how many people still fall for it.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    The entire 'alpha' theory of dog training has been so competely discredited for so long that I am amazed how many people still fall for it.

Exactly...

http://k9domain.org/alpha_theory.aspx

http://www.cleardogtraining.com.au/training-articles/training-methods/70-the-alpha-theory-based-on-a-misguided-premise-by-debra-millikin.html
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options
    Anytime I ride my bike outside, or walk/jog outside, I have my Pepper Spray...if ANY dog gets to close to me barking and showing teeth I will spray that little rascal!!

HOWEVER, if it is a dog that I know from around the neighborhood, chances are it knows me as well and I will call its name and talk to him/her until I ride/walk/past it... But an unknown dog appraoching me...isnt going to get to me... If that is mean, or any animal lovers do not like it... I apologize...but my dog does not leave her yard, ever. People can jog/walk and she is a jack russell and she may bark, but she will not go outside of her yard......... Loooooooove my dog (and my neighbors love me for keeping my dog in my own yard!) lol
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options

It's not actually true that the dog being in front of you means that you can't control him or that he's not trained. Just about anyone who has ever had a breed that they work off-lead (in the appropriate setting) can assure you of this fact! In hunting, canine sports, search and rescue work, guard work, herding, etc. the dog is out in front of you or far away and is certainly trained.

If your dog is on a lead and he is calmly walking ahead of you, matching your pace, again, not necessarily a problem if you're not in a crowded area. If he's pulling you down the street like a freight train, then yes, I would agree that the dog needs additional training.

I can walk my dog, with my pinky finger holding the leash...never any tension..she walks by my side, no zig zagging around my legs, and getting me all tangled up.

She is well trained, and she knows she is not the ALPHA dog in my home....
  • backinthenines
    Options
    You may have misunderstood what Atlantique was saying in his post. Alpha theory is a particularly aggressive form of dog training based on many misconceptions of evolution often perpetuated by people who quite frankly haven't got the faintest clue about animal behaviourism but like to have a go. It often results in creating more problems than it resolves and these days has been pretty discredited and condemned by most experts.
  • mspaula1
    mspaula1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same issue. I live in a neighborhood where this is a problem too and not even the neighborhood association will do anything about it. My next step is calling animal enforcement! What else can ya do?
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    (stepping up on my soapbox and apoligizing for the massive rant that is about to follow)

I have no patience for people who allow their dogs off lead, regardless of how "good" their dog is or that the dog would "never" hurt anyone. It's utterly ridiculous. If the law says your dog needs to be leashed and you refuse to do it, YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW. You should be fined repeatedly and if you don't stop, your dog should be taken from you. I don't care if your dog listens to your commands or won't approach anyone unless "encouraged." Hospital ER's are full of people getting stitched up because a dog owner think their dog was "encouraged."

I had next door neighbors (thank God they've moved) who insisted their dogs were all angels. Their yard was fenced in, but the dogs routinely jumped right over it into my yard. They refused to see that it was a problem. I complained and complained. My kids couldn't play in my own yard for fear of the dogs coming over the fence. And then it happened. My 70 year old father was helping me in the back yard. One of the dogs came over and bit him on his hand. It wouldn't let go. We are lucky that my father was wearing gardening gloves. The dog readjusted his grip and my father pulled out his hand, leaving the glove in the dog's mouth.

Neighbor, who watched the whole thing happen, came running and insisted that the dog would never hurt anyone, while I kept saying, "He just did!" For weeks, they kepting telling me the dog was no danger to anyone! I couldn't believe it.

My father, who takes blood thinner due to strokes, is lucky for the gloves. If not for that, when he pulled his hand out, his skin could have been completely torn off (he's got thin, 70 year old skin) and he would have bled to death in front of me and my kids. As it was, he required 7 stitches. And 2 bones in his hand were broken.

So don't talk to me about your dog that wouldn't hurt a fly and is under your verbal command. Your dog must be physically leashed. It's people who think it's "okay" to have your dog run around unleashed, even while with you, that make my father shake with fear and want to run in the other direction. Think about that.

(stepping down from soapbox)
  • backinthenines
    Options
    No disrepect to you but dangerous dogs that break into their neighbours garden are a bit of a different issue from me running with my unleashed dog in a wide open field! I will continue to allow my dog to run freely where it is LEGAL to do so.

The fact that the dogs had left their yard SEVERAL TIMES without the owner retraining them shows nothing other than the owners denial or repeated inability to deal with an existing problem.

You can not generalise from that individual to all dog owners.

And when I talked about people" encouraging" the dog I didn't mean by simply running past or similar, I meant by people doing things such as slapping their thighs, saying "come here", reaching out, making encouraging noises which are very much intended to get the dog to approach them in order to pat her. And whether she approaches them even with their encouragement, depends entirely on whether I give her the 'ok' or not.