Loose dogs while jogging

Options

Replies

• DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I want to run outside but we have people around here who do not believe in using leashes......I was bit a couple of weeks ago and just able to start again. Anyone else have this issue and if so how do you deal with it?

I run with my dog off the leash. She has never bitten anyone, human or other dogs. She doesn't even approach other people unless they encourage her to do so.

In terms of other people's dogs off the leash, in my experience locally where I live the only people who have their dogs off the leash are those who are with friendly and well trained dogs who respond to recall. Those with nervous or aggressive dogs usually keep them on the leash.

I've never had a problem.

same here...my dog never is on the leash but she never leaves my side....Sorry everyone else has bad experiences & yes I carry doggie bags in my pockets to pick up afterwards!!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Dogs can sense if u are scared or nervous or if you dont like them. Then they react in accordance. Be confident and thet wont hurt u. I've got 2 dogs, one 10 yo, other 1 yo, non of them have ever been on a lead. I only go through public areas to get to a footpath or a wood, but neverless, dont put them on a lead. They go crazy when I try. If they are trained ftom a pup, there will never be a poblem with them. Im sorry to hear that people are so set against all dogs only because they've been scared/beaten by one.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I live out in the country and my neighbor has a pack of dogs. I have not been able to walk up and down my road out of fear. About 2 years ago they chased my cousin and I while we were walking. I had to find other places to walk like the park or church, and no unleashed dogs there(yet).

There are 2 instances where a normally well-behaved dog is extremely dangerous, well 3 but we won't count mommas w/babies at this point because they usualyl don't factor in with this issue. Of the 2, I'm actually not sure which is worse.
    1. dogs in packs
    2. dogs tied up.

Dogs in the country often gather together on their own and can be comprised of dogs from several different owners. Definately don't take any chances. Packs of dogs are actually far more dangerous than packs of wolves!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I had a dog run right in front of me out from an open gate when I was running. I wasn't even afraid of it attacking me as much as me tripping over it. I know you can slow down to a walk when you see a dog, etc. but the big thing is we shouldn't have to. I run on public sidewalks, and I rarely have any problems, but I'd be incredibly pissed if I was bitten because some irresponsible person doesn't follow leash laws.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have never been really attacked by a dog, but I know a lot of people, including my husband and my little sister who have scars from being bitten when they were younger. Both my children have been scratched by out of control puppies. It's not at all uncommon. Most of the dog owners I know (and that's most people I know) think they have their dog under control when they just don't at all, and they won't accept that their dog is actually bothering people.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Dogs can sense if u are scared or nervous or if you dont like them. Then they react in accordance. Be confident and thet wont hurt u. I've got 2 dogs, one 10 yo, other 1 yo, non of them have ever been on a lead. I only go through public areas to get to a footpath or a wood, but neverless, dont put them on a lead. They go crazy when I try. If they are trained ftom a pup, there will never be a poblem with them. Im sorry to hear that people are so set against all dogs only because they've been scared/beaten by one.

Totally untrue, I am not afraid. This dog wanted to play, he did so with his mouth which left me tore up! This is how dogs play, if you train your dog they will learn to deal with a lead. Mine have no choice int he matter. I have trained dogs from chihuahua to boxers, they all learn to deal. If you live in large neighborhood with lots of people you need a lead.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options

People believing dogs should be on a leash at all times when in public doesn't mean that they are "against all dogs".
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Dogs can sense if u are scared or nervous or if you dont like them. Then they react in accordance. Be confident and thet wont hurt u.

Sort of. It's not that they can sense emotion in some extrasensory way. Rather it's that dogs play very close attention to your posture and facial expression. You tend to get better results in the situation we're discussing if you pull your shoulders back, stand tall and keep your face neutral.

Doesn't always work, athough it usually does.

I've got 2 dogs, one 10 yo, other 1 yo, non of them have ever been on a lead. I only go through public areas to get to a footpath or a wood, but neverless, dont put them on a lead. They go crazy when I try. If they are trained ftom a pup, there will never be a poblem with them. Im sorry to hear that people are so set against all dogs only because they've been scared/beaten by one.

No matter how confident you are in your dog's recall, no dog has a 100% recall. You just haven't hit the cirumstance that compels them to ignore the recall-yet. If I had a nickel for every dog out there that's run up to me after their owners assured me that would NEVER happen, I could retire quite comfortably.

If you had trained your dogs to accept a lead, they'd politely sit for you to attach it. What the heck do you do at the vet?

I don't think anyone said they were 'set against all dogs'. The common theme here seems to be that people take issue with owners who are irresponsible enough to let their dogs run loose.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not against dogs and definitely not afraid of them, but I know enough about them to have a healthy respect for what they're capable of doing.

Virtually every dog bite story I've heard, including when I was attacked at age 10 while walking to the corner candy store, started with the words, "Don't worry. He won't bite."

Unless I know your dog very well, I'm not going to trust him enough to run near him. If there's a leash law in your area, obey it. I don't think that's asking for too much.
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    Options
    As a dog owner and a Canine handler, I strongly feel that ALL dogs should be on a leash. I run with my Husky on lead. In fact, I'm considering buying him a harness for running with rather than the regular collar to minimize the risk of him choking himself. Further, having worked with dogs trained to attack and recall on command, I agree wholeheartedly with "Atlantique's" statement that you have yet to meet the right circumstances that will get your dog to not listen to you... I had a dog that completely ignored cats but would chase squirrels to no end (completely ignored rabbits too!). I had a dog that I could get out of the patrol car and tell him to heel on me and he'd ignore every cat, squirrel, rabbit, person and even people that were arguing amongst themselves or wearing the bite suit. I never did find out what would make that dog break the heel and disobey me (as he got cancer and died in December). However, that's not to say that when I was outside of the training fence that I didn't have his lead on.

All people must realize one VERY important fact about their dog before they ever take it out of the house. All dogs, from Chihuahua to Great Dane are all direct descendants of the Wolf. Would you be comfortable walking around outside with a lone wolf just hanging out on your street? So, how do you think other people feel about your animal being off-leash? although you may think that your dog is 100% reliable and friendly, you cannot trust him/her. I've seen dogs over 10 years old, having NEVER bitten anyone, get froggy and bite someone runnning by. It's called prey drive. What do prey animals do? They run from the wolf. What does the wolf's instinct tell it to do? Chase it and bite it. Wolves have taken down moose with only one or two wolves actually attacking the moose. If that is engrained in the dogs DNA, then isn't it possible the dog may see you as a prey-thing too?

My suggestion(s) to the OP still stay the same. First, if you feel you must slow to a walk before you cross paths with a loose dog, then do so. The slower and more confident you are in your stride, the less chance the dog sees you as prey. Even if it's playful prey-drive. Second, if your city/town/state has a leash law, don't hesitate to take the issue to the owner and to local law enforcement if the owner doesn't respect your wishes. Third, if you have to carry some sort of protection, then do so. Ensure you contact your local law enforcement agency to make sure you are within your legal rights to carry a baton or pepper spray, though.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Tauras Judge or a Kel-Tec 9mm w/Hollow Points. I love dogs, and have had everything from a Boston to an English Mastiff; but the moment a loose dog decides on pursuing me I will be in fear for my life or great bodily harm. Of course check with local law enforcement about concealed vs open carry of firearms in your state. If do not decide to arm yourself, make sure you report every instance of a loose dog you see. For your safety and for that of others. I'm certain others will say I sound harsh, but seriously, if it's me of the dog, I'll choose me everytime...
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yes, we live in "the hood" and there are packs of feral dogs that show up at night. I have a wrist brace I wear as armour. Most of the dogs are easy enough to intimidate if you act aggressive. That does mean that I have to stop mid run sometimes to stare a dog down. When they do attack, I step into it and give them my wrist brace hard, that usually gets me acknowledged as the alpha *****.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options

People believing dogs should be on a leash at all times when in public doesn't mean that they are "against all dogs".

Exactly, I have 2 dogs and I love them to death!! I love dogs, and have respect for the power they have! We do have a leash law and they got 2 tickets, about $500 in total, but they still feel that they did no wrong. Use a leash, I do not want to hurt a dog but would like to be able to take my silky out with me for a jog and not worry about her being attacked, as a large dog would swallow her whole. i will look into some pepper spray to carry and I think I will say screw the neighborhood and start running at the lake. Thanks to all for the help!
  • Lpfeifer419
    Lpfeifer419 Posts: 82
    Options
    To those that don't use a leash while jogging, are you in a bigger city or somewhere smaller?

I don't jog with my dog, but she is on a leash whenever we step foot off our property. She is an excellent listener, but for her own protection, the leash remains. I am confident in her recall, I'm just not confident in the other non-leashed dogs in the area that sometimes find us while we're out.

To the OP, I would carry some sort of pepper/bear spray as others have suggested. Also, carry your cell phone and report each and every dog that is out without a lead. Some fines and the potential of losing the dog should wake up most people.
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    Options
    To those that don't use a leash while jogging, are you in a bigger city or somewhere smaller?

I don't jog with my dog, but she is on a leash whenever we step foot off our property. She is an excellent listener, but for her own protection, the leash remains. I am confident in her recall, I'm just not confident in the other non-leashed dogs in the area that sometimes find us while we're out.

To the OP, I would carry some sort of pepper/bear spray as others have suggested. Also, carry your cell phone and report each and every dog that is out without a lead. Some fines and the potential of losing the dog should wake up most people.

Why can't there be a 'like' button on this site? lol
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'll preface my comment by saying that I'm the biggest dog lover that there is BUT having been attacked last September while jogging by two neighborhood dogs, my way of thinking is skewed. I used to run outside every morning, never have i been scared of dogs but now, I can't even stand to hear one barking without my heart racing and panic sets in. I was lucky, it could have been a lot worse. My instinct did tell me not to continue running and the "dog lover" in me told me oh maybe they will sense that you are an animal lover by remaining calm. I had ran by this house before and the dogs were in a rinky sort of fence and they always bark even when you drive by, but they've never gotten out of the fence. This particular morning i jogged by the house and got past the house and heard the dogs tearing up behind me. I cannot describe how scared I was when I knew i was going to be attacked and just prayed it wouldn't be bad. One was less aggressive, it bit me once on the calf and let go. The other one punctured my achilles tendon and knocked me down in the road and then chomped down on my thigh. They were definitely working together to "herd" me. it must have only been a minute or two but it felt like half an hour before i was able to get up on my feet and literally limp the last 1/4 mile home. The owner is a truck driver, gone for days at a time, the grass was a foot tall and the dogs obviously weren't taken care of. When animal control came out to get the dogs to test them for rabies, DHEC informed me that the dogs had just bitten a male jogger three days prior to me. What the hell were they still doing there with the gate open? Ugh, it's frustrating and has definitely put a damper on my running outside. A lot of times now, I go to the track because I am still afraid.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'll preface my comment by saying that I'm the biggest dog lover that there is BUT having been attacked last September while jogging by two neighborhood dogs, my way of thinking is skewed. I used to run outside every morning, never have i been scared of dogs but now, I can't even stand to hear one barking without my heart racing and panic sets in. I was lucky, it could have been a lot worse. My instinct did tell me not to continue running and the "dog lover" in me told me oh maybe they will sense that you are an animal lover by remaining calm. I had ran by this house before and the dogs were in a rinky sort of fence and they always bark even when you drive by, but they've never gotten out of the fence. This particular morning i jogged by the house and got past the house and heard the dogs tearing up behind me. I cannot describe how scared I was when I knew i was going to be attacked and just prayed it wouldn't be bad. One was less aggressive, it bit me once on the calf and let go. The other one punctured my achilles tendon and knocked me down in the road and then chomped down on my thigh. They were definitely working together to "herd" me. it must have only been a minute or two but it felt like half an hour before i was able to get up on my feet and literally limp the last 1/4 mile home. The owner is a truck driver, gone for days at a time, the grass was a foot tall and the dogs obviously weren't taken care of. When animal control came out to get the dogs to test them for rabies, DHEC informed me that the dogs had just bitten a male jogger three days prior to me. What the hell were they still doing there with the gate open? Ugh, it's frustrating and has definitely put a damper on my running outside. A lot of times now, I go to the track because I am still afraid.

That's AWFUL!!

And a great example of what happens when people leave the dogs out in the yard, knowing they are running the fence. the dogs will get progressively more aggressive, as you saw happen. It's amost as bad as leaving a dog tied out.

I hope Animal Control seized those dogs as they were clearly being neglected.

And I also hope that you are at least physically healed from the attack. Have you considered that you might have PTSD?
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options

We live in a suburb around lake Dallas. I ususally run/walk on an 8 mile trail provieded & maintained by the city. They have doggie stands (doggie bags/wipes/water bowls) every mile or so. Their are benches to watch the sunset & large areas for picnics. By no means is is a small trail. It's very populated...you see families walking it all the time.

I love my home. I love our trail. I love the atmosphere. But after reading this I will/do respect other opinions.

I'll put my doggie on a leash when on a trail. For the respect of others. :smile:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel ... I was jogging once and was followed home by a dog ... a young male (fully intact) pit bull. Fortunately, I grew up with pit bulls and know they aren't all overly aggressive killing machines, but I also knew that a strange dog is no laughing matter. He ended up being absolute sweetheart, but we still called animal control to pick him up.

It does help to know doggy language. Don't look him straight in the eye, but don't act shy. This doesn't always work though. I agree that pepper spray is appropriate to carry (not just for the dogs!) ... and IIR oleoresin capsicum affects pretty much all mammals (it was the pepper plant's natural defense against the fruits being eaten by mammals, whose digestive tract would destroy the seeds), but I don't know exactly *how* affective against dogs.
    Here, we have leash laws. If the dog is not contained in a yard, it must be on a leash, unless in a specific dog-park area. So when I see dogs running without a leash, even right by the owner, I get upset (I've seen enough dogs do something unpredictable). Carry your cell phone and put animal control in speed dial, and if the owner isn't around or won't put a leash on the dog, call them. (Assuming you have similar laws, but I think most cities do now).