Replies

• susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Cutting out carbs or dairy is obviously going to work but for how long?
    It only last for as long as you do it if you start back eating carbs your going to gain it back. To keep weight off you need to make your eating a lifestyle not a few month thing. Just watch your portions and cut back on certain food like fast food or processed you can eat this stuff once in awhile but once u get use to living without fast food you won't miss it. Cutting carbs mnay be a quick fix but its not a part of your lifestlye.

Just exercise and watch your portions and you will see a difference!

However, if you are insulin resistant already, going low carb may well have to be a lifelong thing. Also, show me one diet where, when you start to eat out of regime limits, you keep losing weight. That's right, there isn't any. I'd say below 100 g of carbohydrates is a good, sustainable intake. That's way under "normal" carb intake, but it will allow you an amount of leeway that is sustainable as a lifelong way of eating.

I agree. I try to keep my carbs between 50-100 grams a day. It's been a magic number for me. When I was eating the amount of carbs MFP said I should I wasn't losing ANY weight no matter how well I stayed in my calories or worked out for an hour a day. I just respond to this diet better.

My stomach feels WAAAAAY better. Less gasy and less inflammed. I feel like I have more energy throughout the day. Not to mention the 7 pounds I have lost with no effort. I still eat fruit and veggetables and low GI carbs every now and then.

I hate it when people freak out when you say you are low carb and they just automatically assume that you are NO carb. There are many different levels of low carb diets. Check out the primal blue print's carbohydrate curve and see where you fit in on it.

I'm very much in agreemend with these comments. I truly believe that insulin resistance, inflammation is partially caused by these processed foods. It's admittedly REALLY HARD to cut out the processed foods: sugars, grains, etc., but even I was amazed with how my energy soared after a few days of staying away from those foods and eating only good proteins, vegetables and limited fruits. I even found it easily sustainable on vacation - so simple to say "no bread, please" and look forward to some fresh fish (or whatever). I'm back at it now post-vacation, as I *did* allow alcohol while I was gone. That alone caused the sugar monster to awaken, so I'm back in the game of cutting it waaay back. Do I still love breads/pasta/pizza? Sure. Do I eat it? Not often at all any more, as I know how I will feel afterwards.
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yipes, typo snuck in. That should be "agreement."
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    All I know is I am down 62 pounds because I tightly restricted my carb intake. I totally avoided 'white' foods. I stuck to veggies with carbs ONLY. That way I still got some carbs but no starchy carbs. Naturally occuring carbs only. I also avoided dairy, mainly because I am not a fan. I have more weight to lose so I am going to do a carb restricting 2 weeks and hope to drop some significant weight. Then I can slowly add in 'some' white carbs.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Cant imagine what its like having to cut foods out.

Sod that. I just eat everything i used to, just less of it, and exercise more. Bingo.

I really dont understand why people with no medical conditions think they have to cut anything out of their diet..and also why this thread was bumped from 3 months ago...
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs, even sugar. :wink:
    I eat staurated fat.
    I eat right before I go to bed
    I sometimes have just a small 100 cal protein shake for breakfast.
    Dinner is always my biggest meal of the day

I've also lost over 100lbs and kept them off for several years, in fact I'm in the best shape of my life right now.

I say this because there are so many myths out there that it's impossible for people to make good choices.
    We demonize a food group for all of our health issues and it is so WRONG.

Just to be clear, carbs won't stop you from losing weight and metabolism runs 24 hours a day, and the slowdown at night is minimal because our brains use of energy increases. Sleeping burns about 100 calories an hour, watching TV awake burns about 120. Not really too significant.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I would never cut anything out completely but I've heard for people like me (ladies with PCOS) doing low carb is very beneficial for losing weight so I do want to try to do low carb.
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have read her book "You Can Be Thin" and found it really informative and it made a lot of sense. Her website also gives menu and recipes which I have been using. She is highly recommended. You can find some of her material on youtube.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I just found a piece my Marisa Peer (hypnosis and weight loss guru).

That's everything I need right there. She's a fraud and her advice is meaningless to me. I wouldn't listen to another word out of her mouth if I were you.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CherryIceGlitter
    Options
    I have recently (before xmas) have limited my carbs to just 30g a day and get this mainly from vegetables. IT WORKS.. Now I know it doesnt work for everybody but for me its fab.

After 6 weeks I will increase my card intake to around 50g

I must state that I am not following the Atkins way of eating as I still count my kcals (1200 a day) and try to limit my fat intake also.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I read about 3 lines of the OPs article. For some reason, i carried on reading even after she slated dairy. Then i read her slate complex carbs.

Basically, whoever wrote the article is a retard. What part of BALANCED DIET is cutting out carbs.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the sentiment here that cutting out carbs won't do much good, your body does need them. I mostly disagree with "carb eaters carrying weight in their stomach"... my problem is carbs and I carry my weight in my lower half, and in my experience, people who indulge in SWEETS too often tend to have excess belly weight. My stomach is tiny, my thighs are not... and I love pasta, hmmmm... haha.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Well, the author has a very basic understanding about nutrition, and I would take her advice like any other bro-science article.....not very seriously.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    There is a whole lot of partial truths and fallacies. Sure, what she suggests will result in weight loss, but its not a long-term loss and her logic behind it all is severely flawed.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Carbs.jpg
  • bump040510
    Options
    I'm a bit of a carb junky and I think I should cut back a bit. I honestly just don't know how to. Due to my sons life threatening allergies I don't have any dairy,peanuts, tree nuts or eggs in the house. I have no idea what I can eat for breakfast that isn't carb heavy. Any suggestions?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a carb junky and I think I should cut back a bit. I honestly just don't know how to. Due to my sons life threatening allergies I don't have any dairy,peanuts, tree nuts or eggs in the house. I have no idea what I can eat for breakfast that isn't carb heavy. Any suggestions?

Turkey, chicken, beef, bison, fish, vegetables, fruit. Anything else that was once alive and is now dead.