avoiding carbs makes you lose weight

Options

Replies

• gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything and lose weight. If you stay within a set calorie range. Some foods will make you feel better, etc etc. No one food group makes you gain weight. There are plenty of people who do not eat any so called 'bad' foods, yet they are overweight. It's the amounts not the whats. Fruits and vegetables are CARBS. Research papers tend not to mention that these carbs are not implicated to the same degree as are the 'starch' carbs. So people swear off All carbs, thereby missing out on vital nutrients. I would be skeptical of any report which uses the words Always. Absolutely. Never. Will. Definitely. That to me sounds like someone with an agenda. These reports get people thinking that they don't stand a chance if they don't do as this report TELLS them. If what these reports say, is a necessity the human race would have died out many generations ago. My opinion.
  • casasruby
    Options
    I went with the no wheat for 4 weeks option. I did not get rid of even 100 grams of weight in that time. What a load of crap the no milk no carbs option is. Not only does it cost a packet more, but has no benefit at all.

You can't avoid salt or sugar at all.... in it's natural form IN natural food you cant avoid it. Just not possible to do so...unless you dont eat at all... like ever. Then without salt watch the cramping come on.

After not eating wheat or wheat based products for 4 weeks it actually messed up my body when I could NOT avoid them. I would spend hours with stomach cramps & on the toilet. Not really a good thing, all from NOT eating it. My body had changed, but not for the better, and I was STARVING. Like all the time hungry. Only now am I getting back to normal, sleeping better & feeling better..... 4 weeks after eating wheat again. I've also lost more weight eating carbs once again.

Remember just because someone writes a book stating it's no good for you....does not mean it is true.

Well, I AM insulin resistant, and I found the low carb diet to be the only way that works for me. I have a super skinny brother who eats everything, EVERYTHING. He is different, we are very different. You can't say that it is a "LOAD OF CRAP'. Maybe it did not work for your body, but it has helped many insulin resistant women lose weight and get their fertility back.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything and lose weight. If you stay within a set calorie range. Some foods will make you feel better, etc etc. No one food group makes you gain weight. There are plenty of people who do not eat any so called 'bad' foods, yet they are overweight. It's the amounts not the whats. Fruits and vegetables are CARBS. Research papers tend not to mention that these carbs are not implicated to the same degree as are the 'starch' carbs. So people swear off All carbs, thereby missing out on vital nutrients. I would be skeptical of any report which uses the words Always. Absolutely. Never. Will. Definitely. That to me sounds like someone with an agenda. These reports get people thinking that they don't stand a chance if they don't do as this report TELLS them. If what these reports say, is a necessity the human race would have died out many generations ago. My opinion.
    It took 10 pages to see a voice a reason.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    no
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I went with the no wheat for 4 weeks option. I did not get rid of even 100 grams of weight in that time. What a load of crap the no milk no carbs option is. Not only does it cost a packet more, but has no benefit at all.

You can't avoid salt or sugar at all.... in it's natural form IN natural food you cant avoid it. Just not possible to do so...unless you dont eat at all... like ever. Then without salt watch the cramping come on.

After not eating wheat or wheat based products for 4 weeks it actually messed up my body when I could NOT avoid them. I would spend hours with stomach cramps & on the toilet. Not really a good thing, all from NOT eating it. My body had changed, but not for the better, and I was STARVING. Like all the time hungry. Only now am I getting back to normal, sleeping better & feeling better..... 4 weeks after eating wheat again. I've also lost more weight eating carbs once again.

Remember just because someone writes a book stating it's no good for you....does not mean it is true.

Well, I AM insulin resistant, and I found the low carb diet to be the only way that works for me. I have a super skinny brother who eats everything, EVERYTHING. He is different, we are very different. You can't say that it is a "LOAD OF CRAP'. Maybe it did not work for your body, but it has helped many insulin resistant women lose weight and get their fertility back.
    Do you know what insulin resistance even means?
  • ismiseciara
    ismiseciara Posts: 211 Member
    Options

amen
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Insulin resistance is an illness. If someone said that chemotherapy was a load of crap for healthy people, would you argue that point as well? Telling healthy people that they have to eat low carb in order to stay healthy IS a load of crap.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    But i love my carbs and dairy. jesus ate bread in bible times and most of the 3rd world would love to have a piece of bread/bowl of rice...so i think its ok. Just everything in moderation. I say no to chocolate chips and lollies instead
  • ismiseciara
    ismiseciara Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    For me its all about calorie intake v calorie expenditure

sure I could eat 1200cals of just chocolate a day and STILL loose weight! ,fair enough its not the most nutritious or advisable diet but it would still work because im creating a calorie deficit, would i feel crap? probably, would i be still hungry? most likely ..but id be loosing weight

the easiest thing to do is to track your calories plain and simple ...even better try and eat foods more nutrient dense and which make you feel fuller for longer while ***sticking within your calorie goal***

This is my opinion on it all anyway
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

amen

Testify!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    agreed
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    hmm. i take in a ton of carbs every day, but since i've been watching my calories and getting in the exercise needed to lose my goal weight per week, the weight is still coming off and I'm not having any trouble at all...
  • Personally I disagree that we aren't designed to need carbs. They are our primary source of energy and the first port of call for our bodies' energy reserves. Only in the absence of carbs does the body look elsewhere.

So in my experience, a balanced diet is key, and preferably one which around 55% carbs, 30% fat and 15% protein. The body needs fat but it won't turn to it for energy if you're also eating high carbs. So keep the carbs higher (as it's the natural energy source) and then keep fats under control.

It's why sugary junk foods full of BOTH carbs and fat are a bad choice, because the body never gets around to depleting the fat you've taken in because it has a mountain of carbs to get through first.
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That's the point I think, you DON'T reintroduce them. I've been low carb for over a year now and I feel better than I have in years and I've lost 40 lbs. I have no plan to make carbs a regular part of my diet, even when I hit my goal. The occasional carb day so I can have a beer happens, but it's not my norm and on those days I don't go over 150 g's. I'm also a vegetarian, and was a fat one because carbs kept me fat.

That, combined with in place of a roadmap and I feel more healthy and look better than I have in years.

I suppose that doesn't mean it's right for everyone, but for me it was life changing.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Assuming no food tolerance issues:

Looking at what specific foods you're eating before considering your total caloric and macronutrient intake over time is a mistake. It's easy to make a scape goat and say 'Food X is the reason for my weight gain!' but doesn't really solve the problem.

I don't care what diet you're on, if you're eating 19,000 calories a day and getting no protein at all, you're doing it wrong.

Some people have food intolerances that make exclusion a necessity, others are unable to maintain moderation when it comes to certain things. In those cases exclusion is a viable option, but it doesn't mean the food itself is bad, just the person's reaction to eating it.
  • Louisedowner
    Louisedowner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    you probably will lose weight on cutting carbs but is it a sensible and healthy option? no!
    i only have wholegrains carbs for one meal a day instead of the three i used to have. i trick my mind that carrot and swede mashed is like mash so i feel like i have had carbs.
    you want a good, healthy and balanced diet and one you can sustain. your body needs all foot groups even fat and sugar to be productive