avoiding carbs makes you lose weight

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Assuming no food tolerance issues:

Looking at what specific foods you're eating before considering your total caloric and macronutrient intake over time is a mistake. It's easy to make a scape goat and say 'Food X is the reason for my weight gain!' but doesn't really solve the problem.

I don't care what diet you're on, if you're eating 19,000 calories a day and getting no protein at all, you're doing it wrong.

Some people have food intolerances that make exclusion a necessity, others are unable to maintain moderation when it comes to certain things. In those cases exclusion is a viable option, but it doesn't mean the food itself is bad, just the person's reaction to eating it.

Think we're all going to have to put up with the "facts" that carbs are "bad" and fat makes you "fat"........ these persistant myths will, it seems, never die.......
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Anyone who claims that food is evil has some kind of psychological disorder. Food is good. Balance is key. Don't eat only carbs, to be sure, but eat them. Have your grains and dairy as part of a balanced diet.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    So why does the mind crave the carbs then if our bodies can work perfectly fine without them? It's a usual thing to give into carbs when you've craved them all your life and been over weight like I have. How do you revert your thinking to the opposite when you eat these things and steel feel like you can eat a scabby dog cos you feel very hungry still. I get what your saying but am a carb lover and having protein n veg just does not fill me up as much for obvious reasons. Is snackin more often of the protein and veg the way forward to this?

I don't mean to be dis respectfull to OP just curious how to keep up with the protein and veg and steer clear or carbs.

:)

I was able to totally 'kick' my craving for pasta and milk and bread... It was not easy but after about 2 weeks of removing them from my diet my cravings convince us we need or want to eat something that our bodies cannot handle...
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I really dislike this whole misconception stuff "low carb is the only way" yes americans need to cut back for the most part, but in a long term study (actually a few I've found) moderate (100-160g per day) was far more successful in the long run because it can be sustained as a lifestyle change. Both groups over a year (less than 20g and the 100-160 group) lost a similar amount of weight (the low carb lost it quickly then maintained) the moderate lost it slowly over the year but suprise after the second year the moderates were still pretty close to the goal weight while many of the low group had regained a significant amount. So I am not sure whether low carb forever for most folks is a sustainable lifestyle. Also, the jury is still out on long term health effects of a high fat/high protein diet.

The idea that we don't need to eat carbs at all is funny since we do not have carnivore teeth, if we were meant to eat only meat and fat we would have teeth like a wolf, however we have omnivore teeth, meant for grinding up food that perhaps needs some chewing to consume. So look at the jaws and teeth of many different animals and see which ones you most resemble. in the long run until man banded together to hunt I really doubt he was surviving on a meat only diet. Lower carb, you bet, no carb, look at the development and the internal organs of different animals and compare our organs, internal organization of how we digest food. Then make your own decision.

Just stop eating so many damn white calories, I see tons of empty calories on the diaries of many folks saying "I eat 1200 a day and I'm not losing" sure when you go to a low carb diet you get loss, you stopped eating all those empty, non nourishing foods.

(Waits for the epithets to fly from the no carbers :laugh:
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

Looking at what specific foods you're eating before considering your total caloric and macronutrient intake over time is a mistake. It's easy to make a scape goat and say 'Food X is the reason for my weight gain!' but doesn't really solve the problem.

I don't care what diet you're on, if you're eating 19,000 calories a day and getting no protein at all, you're doing it wrong.

Some people have food intolerances that make exclusion a necessity, others are unable to maintain moderation when it comes to certain things. In those cases exclusion is a viable option, but it doesn't mean the food itself is bad, just the person's reaction to eating it.

Think we're all going to have to put up with the "facts" that carbs are "bad" and fat makes you "fat"........ these persistant myths will, it seems, never die.......

Not really a myth... I am hypothyroid which means I have an extremely slow metabolism.. and I have PCOS, which is a form of insulin resistance... Therefore, I should not be eating carbs unless I want to stay FAT! People on this site tend to generalize as if everyone is built the same. Everyone can lose weight on a low carb diet, but people like me cannot really lose any other way.

Just a small background story... my husband and I went on a calorie deficit diet a few years ago, before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I ate at a calorie deficit, carbs and all, and walked every night for at least 30 minutes. We weighed ourself after 2 weeks and he lost 6 pounds... I gained 4!!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Just stop eating so many damn white calories, I see tons of empty calories on the diaries of many folks saying "I eat 1200 a day and I'm not losing" sure when you go to a low carb diet you get loss, you stopped eating all those empty, non nourishing foods.

Once I switched to chartreuse calories, my whole life changed.
    Not really a myth... I am hypothyroid which means I have an extremely slow metabolism.. and I have PCOS, which is a form of insulin resistance... Therefore, I should not be eating carbs unless I want to stay FAT! People on this site tend to generalize as if everyone is built the same. Everyone can lose weight on a low carb diet, but people like me cannot really lose any other way.
    The fault in this case lies not with the food, but with your hypothyroid and PCOS (not trying to blame you by any means, just stating that those two things are the cause, not carbs). You solved your issue by eliminated carbs from your diet, which is a viable option (particularly in your case) but that does not mean that all carbs are bad. I hope my point makes sense, I'm sincerely NOT trying to attack you or your medical condition.
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    In my experience, cutting out any specific food has led to a rebound binge. I don't cut out anything.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I love you. Or I would, were I not a straight married guy. :smile:
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Just generally speaking (and this isn't about my opinion on low carb diets as they do have their place as a tool) the original article was basically full of misinformation.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    See all I got from the original post is that "cheese is basically concentrated growth hormone" so I guess I'll be staying away from that.

And apparently milk is "evil". Didn't know a non-conscious entity or substance could be evil, so I learnt something there too.

Basically, after that my bullsh*t detecter kicked in and I woke up again and found out it had all been a strange and wonderful dream.......
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I love you. Or I would, were I not a straight married guy. :smile:

No worries mate, I get that a lot. It's hard being this awesome.
  • LaiceePNW
    LaiceePNW Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Word to that! I dig it.
  • LaiceePNW
    LaiceePNW Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    "Wondered what you all think of this way of thinking?"

It's been the opposite of my experience. I was able to lose a lot of weight while eating a balanced diet that included whole grains, wheat, and other carbs, even starchy ones, AND dairy, and so have a lot of other people. It's definitely not "impossible". Some people find it easier to lose weight on carb restriction, though, it all depends on your metabolism. Just experiment and do what is easiest and best for YOU.

Dairy is a good source of calcium. With some evidence emerging that calcium supplements may be linked to heart disease, I'd rather get it through food.

The naturalistic - primitive man ate this and did that - is kind of silly. People evolved to accept starch in their diet - amaylase is an example of that (source: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/12/amylase_and_human_evolution.php) among other ways. If you really want to really eat like paleo and primal people, you'd eat lots of bugs, scavenged meat, offal, and on special occasions you'd be a cannibal. :) You'd lose weight fast with THAT diet!

Word to that! I dig it.:laugh: