Retarded and Gay

Options

Replies

• mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    Wow!!! I really DISLIKE when people use those words.
    Unless you talk to her all the time like a co-worker "friend" status then talk to her about it.
    If you think it's going to lead to a confertation talk to someone who can do something about it
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be so sensitive, realize she is not intending things as a personal attack and allow people to live their life. We have become way to thin skinned in this society. Can't say boo without someones feeling getting hurt and them running to mom.
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You can just say do you mean _____. Like if she says the copier is being retarded. You can say do you mean its not functioning properly? Hopefully she will pick up on it that she is being inappropriate
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I dunno... I'm not offended by it... then again I'm not offended easily, either. Do I think it's appropriate? NO! Do I think it's a huge deal for someone to use those words in a slang sort of context? No. Just me, though.
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The next time she does it, respond with "Yeah, that's so (insert name of race here)!" and when she looks at you just say "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought we were being *kitten*."

This made me laugh out loud!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Or sick Human Resources on her!

Wouldn't you talk to a person first and give them a chance before sicking HR on them?
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do anything.
    Save up my energy for dodging sticks and stones.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/03/03/Campaign-against-retard-enjoys-success/UPI-89761267640747/ (use of the word retard)

http://www.thinkb4youspeak.com/ (the use of the word "gay")

Kindly forward her some educational information. Hopefully she'll both expand her vocabulary and learn something new :)

this is a good idea. or if you are afraid to confront her yourself, you can ask someone who usually sends out company policy reminders or annnouncments to send an email with these websites because it was important to you. of course without mentioning your coworker.
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be so sensitive, realize she is not intending things as a personal attack and allow people to live their life. We have become way to thin skinned in this society. Can't say boo without someones feeling getting hurt and them running to mom.

I agree with this! However there is certain etiquette that is required in an office environment...
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    If you have a Human Resources Office it may be good to seek out their help and advice. The next best thing is to go to her privately and let her know that her choice of words are insensitive and inappropriate for an office environment. If you don't do it, someone else will and maybe not so diplomatically.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Maybe just politely tell her that she probably shouldn't say those kind of things that it could get her into trouble. She probably doesn't even realize that she's saying it. Especially if she's younger...I am 26 and when I was in highschool my teachers would say that something was "retarded" it seems to be a casual way of speaking now a days. Not the I agree with it...because I don't. But I guarantee she isn't intending on offending anybody :)
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Definitely point it out. My partner had to do the same thing after starting as a supervisor in a new department.

I think 00trayn has a great suggestion with, "I don't think that's the word you really mean. Don't you mean stupid, or annoying, or frustrating?" It gives the person a chance to change their behavior and does not "shame" them, reducing the risk of putting them on the defensive.

However, if that does not work it is appropriate to point out that the language is unacceptable in the workplace and she could be at risk of a formal complaint to human resources.

I am so glad to hear you are concerned about this. You just made my day.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    It's not that I am sensitive. It's that there *are* gay people here in this office, and in a past office of mine there were people with mentally retarded siblings. It's not offensive to me personally, but to others it would be....and I don't want her to get into a situation with HR just because she's young and stupid. I am more trying to help her, not get her busted.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to say anything to HR, because she's brand new, and she is a nice person and I like her and don't want to put a black mark on her record. I thought of emailing this link to her with a lilttle note that I thought it was something she should watch. But I don't know if this is the right approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T549VoLca_Q
    If she's young, new, you like her and she's nice then I think you could tell her yourself without going to HR, just bring it to her attention-say, you may not realize how offensive this is... I am kinda surprised because it seems like something she would realize, but you could tell, I thought I would tell you before you get someone from HR putting a black mark on your record for this...
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Tell her you have a family member that's gay and one that's retarded, at different times when she uses it. It will make her feel so completely ignorant she will never use them again, around you or anyone else
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i've been in that situation too...
    and i simply told her right then, politely, that using what would be seen by many to be deragatory or discriminatory words such as those is actually socially unacceptable, especially in a work environment, so while at work she may wish to chose different words.

and i did not take her aside in private to say it, as she spoke in public, and anyone nearby who might have also found that inappropriate OR who felt it was perfectly ok, needed (i felt) to hear that someone WAS going to speak up and say what needed to be said.

she immediately apologized, (so others could still hear) and said she knew she needed to watch herself with those words, it was a habit she was trying to break and sometimes they slipped out, so thanked me for the reminder.

Hope the situation goes as well for you.. but if it is an ongoing situation you do need voice a formal complaint to your HR department. It is completely unacceptable behaviour.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I dunno... I'm not offended by it... then again I'm not offended easily, either. Do I think it's appropriate? NO! Do I think it's a huge deal for someone to use those words in a slang sort of context? No. Just me, though.

yeah, a lot of people aren't easily offended. i am one of them, but then there are people who are... especially if they know or are related to someone who has a mental disability, or are bisexual. it can hit close to home if someone is using those words in a negative way ya know?
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I would tell her outright that it's completely unacceptable. That's just me, I'm pretty blunt and to the point :)
    me, too.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options

Amen!!
  • asudheimer
    asudheimer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That is thoughtful of you to consider her feelings... seems as though she doesn't mean to be offensive, that's just part of my generations slang vocabulary thanks to ignorance. Maybe email her a link to this site:

http://www.r-word.org/

I spread it around my office as there was and still are several people who use that word where I work. And maybe shoot her an IM or email with it saying "Just wanted to let you know that some people consider the use of those words offensive, wanted to let you know before someone who would turn you in to HR hears." To the point, without you seeming arrogant. :)
This discussion has been closed.