For those of you that Drink Diet Soda Everyday..............

Options

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda,my heart is fine.I will continue to drink it.and every now and then I snort lines of pure aspartamine
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    What if I put Jack Daniels in my Diet Pepsi? Does the alcohol burn off the conspiracy in the soda, or does it remain the same?
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I drink diet soda,my heart is fine.I will continue to drink it.and every now and then I snort lines of pure aspartamine
    Okay...seriously. Funniest....post....EVER! We've had our differences in the past, but that just made you a rock star in my eyes.
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options
    WOW, thanks! i always wanted someone to judgmentally lecture my drink choices and tell me things i already know about the habits i'm not ready to give up yet!!! I especially like the good doctor's line: "The evidence is there -- and you don't need to "stay tuned" for the real conclusion: Skip all soda, diet or otherwise, starting now."

what's next? smoking? HFCS? sunbathing?

okay, that started out kinda hateful. but, really, you're preaching to the choir by pasting this here. most people know already that diet cola is just as bad as regular cola - and i would bet that those who don't know it aren't ready to hear it anyway. ever hear of the concept of baby steps?

I felt preached at, as if I had walked in on an angry bible wielding tent revivalist. Made me want to chug a 20 ouncer out of spite.

BUAHAHAHAH - let's chug girl!! i dont drink any soda but i will totally do this whole flash mob thing in protest :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Cap'n Morgan in Diet Pepsi Lime. Yummmmm!
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options

per usual, you come through for me love!! BUAHAHAH best.ever!!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand how people can have such a blatant disregard for their own health and well being.

I feel for you all, I really do.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Ah, this again.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    The following is cut and pasted from Pubmed: US National Library of Medicine, referencing every published and peer reviewed study ever done anywhere.

Title: Artificial sweeteners--do they bear a carcinogenic risk? - Weihrauch MR, Diehl V.
    Source: Department of Internal Medicine I of the University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany. martin.weihrauch@uni-koeln.de
    Abstract: Artificial sweeteners are added to a wide variety of food, drinks, drugs and hygiene products.

Since their introduction, the mass media have reported about potential cancer risks, which has contributed to undermine the public's sense of security. It can be assumed that every citizen of Western countries uses artificial sweeteners, knowingly or not. A cancer-inducing activity of one of these substances would mean a health risk to an entire population.

We performed several PubMed searches of the National Library of Medicine for articles in English about artificial sweeteners. These articles included 'first generation' sweeteners such as saccharin, cyclamate and aspartame, as well as 'new generation' sweeteners such as acesulfame-K, sucralose, alitame and neotame.

Epidemiological studies in humans did not find the bladder cancer-inducing effects of saccharin and cyclamate that had been reported from animal studies in rats. Despite some rather unscientific assumptions, there is no evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic.

Case-control studies showed an elevated relative risk of 1.3 for heavy artificial sweetener use (no specific substances specified) of >1.7 g/day.

For new generation sweeteners, it is too early to establish any epidemiological evidence about possible carcinogenic risks.

As many artificial sweeteners are combined in today's products, the carcinogenic risk of a single substance is difficult to assess.

However, according to the current literature, the possible risk of artificial sweeteners to induce cancer seems to be negligible.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    Okay...seriously. Funniest....post....EVER! We've had our differences in the past, but that just made you a rock star in my eyes.

I think our differences were more missunderstanding than anything,but thanks:happy:
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    BLAH...dont we all need a least one vice??????
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I don't believe so.

I want good health more than anything else so to make the lifestyle change my body so desperately needed is to give up all vices that lead you back to a path of poor health and cravings.

There is freedom in not having cravings for sugar, starches and the like.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Oh the aspartame thing again...

Do you know there are E numbers in everything we eat? We also have E numbers in our body/hair/saliva. E numbers are a term for regulated chemicals used in food.

For info natural & certainly organic foods contain some interesting toxins, for example...
    Broccoli contains the carcinogen allyl isothiocyanate.
    Apples contain cyanide and sugar compound called amygdalin in their pips.
    Carrots contain the toxin furocoumarin.

I'm not in any way saying not to eat the above because the nutritional benefits far outweigh any dangers, but what I wanted to highlight was that there are no absolute safe foods for the human body & everything can be toxic at a degree.

I used to be scared of E numbers but unfortunately after much research most of the fear has been wound up by the media & I feel that people should not be afraid to eat any foods and yes EVERYTHING in moderation. Too much water can kill you!

E951 Aspartame is one of the most tested and studied food additives ever approved however this has not prevented it remaining one of the leading subjects of unsubstantiated concerns about food additives.
    Acceptable daily intake is stated as 0-40 mg/kg body weight.

Generally I believe:
    Food is to be enjoyed
    Healthy food is better for you
    The human body is an amazing machine!!
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    I really don't understand how people can have such a blatant disregard for their own health and well being.

I feel for you all, I really do.

i'm pretty sure they're not trying to express blatant disregard so much as extreme irritation at having to hear (see?) the "don't drink diet sodas, EVER" lecture yet again. at this point it's so overdone that some people can't help being a bit antagonistic - even me, and as i said before, i don't even drink diet sodas!

it's kind of like lecturing smokers - they know it's gonna kill them, but they won't quit til they're ready, so why pour all this judgment on them? i realize that's not AT ALL your intention, but intentions don't count for much when you're telling people how to live their lives.

on a semi-related note, there are a LOT of people who drink diet sodas, but not every day, and those people get lectured just like the drink-a-day people. but do they deserve it? and what about those who KNOW it's bad, but are still addicted to caffeine and so are weaning themselves slowly? do they deserve the general lecture as well, even though they've learned the risks and are trying to improve their habits?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    .....I do truly understand why we should eat healthily and agree BUT people saying that 'you can't eat this and that, because it MIGHT cause stroke, heart attack, cancer'....it's a really nice concept that we could live forever through diet but this just aint gonna happen...cripes I could eat veg and angel farts all my life and get hit by a bus...

Everything in moderation for me and check for buses when crossing the road! ; )
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    I believe it. It's caustic, poisonous crap. Anything man made will kill us! Eat and drink what nature intended us to have and live long and happy!

I get violent head aches from Aspartame. Evil, evil stuff.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

I don't believe so.

I want good health more than anything else so to make the lifestyle change my body so desperately needed is to give up all vices that lead you back to a path of poor health and cravings.

There is freedom in not having cravings for sugar, starches and the like.

Funny because I am amazingly healthy
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i've been freebasing aspartame (with a touch of sucralose) for years, my heart is fine though my teeth are all rotten.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The following is cut and pasted from Pubmed: US National Library of Medicine, referencing every published and peer reviewed study ever done anywhere.

Title: Artificial sweeteners--do they bear a carcinogenic risk? - Weihrauch MR, Diehl V.
    Source: Department of Internal Medicine I of the University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany. martin.weihrauch@uni-koeln.de
    Abstract: Artificial sweeteners are added to a wide variety of food, drinks, drugs and hygiene products.
    However, according to the current literature, the possible risk of artificial sweeteners to induce cancer seems to be negligible.

Okay, but that review is about seven years old. Not ancient by scientific standards, but it's likely that additional research has addressed the question. Of course, I don't know what direction a more updated review would take, but it might be time for one to appear. Thanks.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    i've been freebasing aspartame (with a touch of sucralose) for years, my heart is fine though my teeth are all rotten.

:laugh: